U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 09:37 PM

6 posts, read 21,014 times

Advertisements

My husband is thinking of taking a job in Wilson. We now live in a small town (3500) 25 miles from a medium size city. We both like the slower pace in a small town and like nature. We would love to live somewhere near Wilson that is not all developed or if we live in a bigger town, then one with some parks. We own 2 acres here (Illinois). How pricy is land down there? I'm sure you can tell that I'm pretty clueless right now. I'm just trying to get a handle on this idea. I wish I had a crystal ball to know what to do...
Thanks for any info!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 07:03 AM

402 posts, read 2,137,553 times
We lived outside by about 15 minutes ourselves from Wilson (hubbie worked in wilson, I worked in Nashville), there's a lot of great spots to live. Land is fairly inexpensive, but it depends on what you're looking for. (our house is on the market too!)

Do you know what direction you want to live? Do you have children? I must admit, you do have to be careful in some areas...search it well! (there's a lot of poor economy areas that are really run down....so they'll be cheap, but poor investments). Post again or PM me if you'd like more help!!

Old 06-06-2008, 01:15 PM

505 posts, read 2,423,367 times
Middlesex, Baily, Sims, and Elm City.

Those would be the best towns outside Wilson to live. Any other questions just ask.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:48 PM

6 posts, read 21,014 times
Thanks for the replies! Our children are grown, so we don't need to worry about schools. We plan to come down in the summer and take a look around and see if this is what we want to do. I never thought I would like Illinois and now I'm not sure if I want to leave it! Can you give me an idea what the area is like? Is it pretty rural around Wilson or is it built up? Hilly or flat? Pine trees or fields? Do you like living there? Whatever info you throw this way, I will appreciate. Thanks again!

Old 06-06-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiefox View Post
Thanks for the replies! Our children are grown, so we don't need to worry about schools. We plan to come down in the summer and take a look around and see if this is what we want to do. I never thought I would like Illinois and now I'm not sure if I want to leave it! Can you give me an idea what the area is like? Is it pretty rural around Wilson or is it built up? Hilly or flat? Pine trees or fields? Do you like living there? Whatever info you throw this way, I will appreciate. Thanks again!
Wilson, NC is in the coastal plains (the edge of it)

This means the area is mostly flat. However, there are some gentle sloping hills here and there. This is especially true in the small towns I mentioned above. The area is pretty rural. I don't want to say very rural because I have been to places like that out west and I am pretty sure I cannot say the same about Wilson. But it is the country, with many homes scattered about....homes are surrounded by farms (fields) and forests.(lots of pines) Most of the farms here plant Soy Beans, Cotton, Corn, and Tobacco. When it comes to the land, I would say it is a lot like southern and central Illinois.

I love living in NC. The only other place I have lived is in northern NJ for a couple years. But I am from NC.

It will take getting used to. But being from NC....it is hard for me to say if someone else will like it or not. I personally do not see why you guys would not like it though.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:41 PM

Hmmm.....I moved from IL when I was 28 (grad from college) to NC. Lived there for 8 years, moved last year to PA (and the house is still on the market!!!).

I'll let you know what drew me TO NC, and what pushed me AWAY from NC...

TO:
**Oh, the green pine trees everywhere! I remember driving along 40 near Durham and thinking how beautiful it was
**Low cost of living
**Good job
**mild winters
**...ummmm, not too much else. I was naive in researching where I was going to live! I took the job that appealed to me.

AWAY: (now, this is for the rural eastern NC.)
**Poor economy. High unemployment. High Disability rate. High welfare rate.
**Poor schools
**HORRID, humid summers. Hate it. I would MUCH rather have the winters where I'm at (a couple good snows) than the long, hot summers down there.
**taxes. They seem to tax everything down there. Except Nash Co property taxes were pretty low!
**Outdoor activities. Had to drive a ways to get to a state park. Now, I have dozens of choices within a short distance.
**Flat. (mostly) I'm a mountain girl, ocean does nothing for me. I live in the mountains now (small mountains, but mountains none-the-less...) and I feel like I've finally "come home".

Obviously, NC is a BIG place to move to. A ton of people are very glad to call it home, and I am happy for them. For me though, I am much happier now that I've left!!

Old 06-08-2008, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
Hmmm.....I moved from IL when I was 28 (grad from college) to NC. Lived there for 8 years, moved last year to PA (and the house is still on the market!!!).

I'll let you know what drew me TO NC, and what pushed me AWAY from NC...

TO:
**Oh, the green pine trees everywhere! I remember driving along 40 near Durham and thinking how beautiful it was
**Low cost of living
**Good job
**mild winters
**...ummmm, not too much else. I was naive in researching where I was going to live! I took the job that appealed to me.

AWAY: (now, this is for the rural eastern NC.)
**Poor economy. High unemployment. High Disability rate. High welfare rate.
**Poor schools
**HORRID, humid summers. Hate it. I would MUCH rather have the winters where I'm at (a couple good snows) than the long, hot summers down there.
**taxes. They seem to tax everything down there. Except Nash Co property taxes were pretty low!
**Outdoor activities. Had to drive a ways to get to a state park. Now, I have dozens of choices within a short distance.
**Flat. (mostly) I'm a mountain girl, ocean does nothing for me. I live in the mountains now (small mountains, but mountains none-the-less...) and I feel like I've finally "come home".

Obviously, NC is a BIG place to move to. A ton of people are very glad to call it home, and I am happy for them. For me though, I am much happier now that I've left!!
You should be down here right now......it is nasty hot! Upper 90's the last 4 days in a row. Calling for 101 Sunday. The summers are one thing I do hate about NC.....it is terrible!

Old 06-08-2008, 06:50 AM

No thanks! It's record highs up here too, of mid 90's ...BLECH!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 9,205 times
My husband and I are moving from FL to NC in April. Not too concerned about the heat but would like more info on the winter; temps, snow. I lived in Charlotte NC for 10 years and it only snowed once (of course it shut down the city, but that was ok).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina