Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 01:17 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,819,667 times

Advertisements

Had an interesting experience last week: As I am considering a move to NC, I called several temporary employment agencies in Charlotte and Raleigh, to get a feel for the job market in those areas, do some background research, etc. Everything I'm reading on other sites (Forbes, etc) says that NC is a growing area (especially Raleigh and Charlotte) and jobs are plentiful. My experience with the temp agencies was quite different from that, however. None of them were encouraging (I was asking about the job market in general, not specific jobs types or industries). They all said that jobs were few and far between and not easy to find (I called 7 different agencies in 3 cities: Raleigh, Charlotte and Durham). Interesting that these cities (Raleigh and Charlotte in particular) are being touted as areas with job growth and yet the employment agencies are not substantiating that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 03:09 PM

247 posts, read 997,822 times
I don't know why Charlotte has been touted as a city with abundant jobs. There are jobs but there is LOTS of competition for those jobs. And because of the competition some of the salaries these positions are offering is less than desirable. I've been here a year with no job in sight. Before moving anywhere I would strongly urge you to find a job first. I've heard too many stories of people moving here without a job and still jobless 6 months later or more.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:27 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Had an interesting experience last week: As I am considering a move to NC, I called several temporary employment agencies in Charlotte and Raleigh, to get a feel for the job market in those areas, do some background research, etc. Everything I'm reading on other sites (Forbes, etc) says that NC is a growing area (especially Raleigh and Charlotte) and jobs are plentiful. My experience with the temp agencies was quite different from that, however. None of them were encouraging (I was asking about the job market in general, not specific jobs types or industries). They all said that jobs were few and far between and not easy to find (I called 7 different agencies in 3 cities: Raleigh, Charlotte and Durham). Interesting that these cities (Raleigh and Charlotte in particular) are being touted as areas with job growth and yet the employment agencies are not substantiating that.
Sounds like self serving nonsense. I mean why use an agency if jobs are plentiful? It's better for them if you think you need their help becasue jobs are scarce and you wouldn't be able to go out and find a job on your own.

Sounds like the temp agency employees were just ensuring their own job stability.

There are jobs in NC. Competition for good jobs is strong. Put your best foot forward.....

What kind of job are you looking for? Your personal level of success finding a job in places like Charlotte or Raleigh will depend largley on your field of work, experience, and education level.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:42 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Depends on the type of job you are looking for I suppose. Seems that some agencies are better than others. "Temporary" agencies generally have useless jobs to offer in my opinion. Now "hiring" agencies are different; they simply take the place of many companies HR responsibilities when it comes to initial screening and setting up interviews and are sort of negotiaters at times. I have had some luck with these. MRI, Aerotek, Belcan, etc...as far as Durham and RTP (Research Triangle Park) goes are some of the ones I recommend. Not so sure about Charlotte.

By the way, just so you are aware: Durham and Raleigh are constantly lumped together by the media for various reasons. You often hear about "Raleigh-Durham" or the "Triangle" (Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill)So when you here about the great job market in Raleigh, what is actually being conveyed is the metro area which consists of Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and to a lesser degree, Cary. Raleigh seems to get most of the media attention and praise even though most of RTP is in Durham County and Durham County also has the highest average weekly wage in the state. Good Luck!

Old 06-07-2008, 06:21 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
Personally I think the jobs are here but so are the people looking for those jobs----the competition is fierce!!! Be prepared to put out many resumes and to do some waiting!

Old 06-09-2008, 02:26 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,819,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Personally I think the jobs are here but so are the people looking for those jobs----the competition is fierce!!! Be prepared to put out many resumes and to do some waiting!

Thanks for all the good feedback! I'm looking for admin support jobs (exec assistant, etc), in any industry, and I have good experience and skills. I hope that with the expansion and growth in NC that companies will be hiring in this area!

Old 06-10-2008, 05:55 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,360 times
Here's a good place to start. The Employment Security Commission of North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina