Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 10:03 AM

17 posts, read 56,794 times

Advertisements

I know there is a big sporting rivalry but which university would you prefer your child to go to? I have heard great things about both Duke and UNC.

I have created a poll where you can rank your choices.

Rank Items (http://www.irankd.com/RankItems.aspx?ListId=618 - broken link)

You can add to the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:07 AM

79 posts, read 312,129 times
It really depends on what type of degree your child is wanting to persue. Each university has its strengths and weaknesses in different programs.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:16 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,308,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eadams2 View Post
It really depends on what type of degree your child is wanting to persue. Each university has its strengths and weaknesses in different programs.
I agree. We have at least 5 top universites in the state - hard to pick just one as "the best". I too would send my child to the one best for HIS/HER particular talents and interests

Old 06-12-2008, 09:48 AM

183 posts, read 669,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I agree. We have at least 5 top universites in the state - hard to pick just one as "the best". I too would send my child to the one best for HIS/HER particular talents and interests
Very true. I went to UNCW, lots of my family went to UNC, so I'm a huge Seahawk and Tarheel fan, but if she wanted to be a doctor, I would probably recommend Duke; lawyer, probably UNC, and of course, if she wanted to be a marine biologist, UNCW. Just depends on what she's into and where she wants to be! It's just nice that we have so many wonderful universities here to choose from in the first place.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:56 AM

30 posts, read 122,798 times
Duke, hands down.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,093,118 times
Agree w/ Loves - depends on your major. Some private colleges would be better than the universities for particular fields of study, as well.

We are blessed w/ one of the most outstanding higher education systems in the USA. Think about it. What state has this many outstanding medical schools? Duke, Carolina, Wake Forest . . . amazing. And then you look at law schools . .. then we have wonderful programs in everything from architecture to theology all over the state . . . anyone who can't find a college they like here is just not trying!!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 02:19 AM

17 posts, read 56,794 times
University of North Carolina appears to be the favorite but it is very close with Duke.

BEST UNIVERSITY IN NORTH CAROLINA

Old 11-07-2008, 08:38 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,072,516 times
Agree with others that it depends on degree programs and desired next steps after the undergratuate degree.

NCSU is known more for its engineering, agricultural & technical programs.

UNC is more of a liberal arts-focused school for undergrad, but with some strong gratuate programs including medical and business.

Duke is a top-tier private school in line with Ivy League schools, however it comes with a price tag that is almost 5 times greater than the excellent public universities in the state.

Academically, Appalachian State probably has the best reputation of the "smaller, regional" state universities, however others also offer a great education, especially for undergrad.

Also, Wake Forest & Davidson are top notch private schools. Campbell has arguably the best law school in NC, and it will only improve now that its campus is moving to Raleigh.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:28 PM

213 posts, read 696,135 times
If we are talking about pure academic rankings and prestige, it would be Duke by a landslide. Like another poster has said, its reputation is in line with that of the Ivy League schools.

Best VALUE however would have to go to UNC Chapel Hill (Assuming you are a resident).

Old 11-07-2008, 07:26 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,303,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
.... What state has this many outstanding medical schools? Duke, Carolina, Wake Forest . . . amazing. ....!
ECU in the east
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina