Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2007, 07:35 AM

7 posts, read 23,064 times

Advertisements

My family is looking to move from South Florida to NC. We have other relatives in Hope Mills and Concord. After surfing the web umpteen times, Stanly County and it's communities look very inviting. Oakboro, Stanfield and Locust just might be what we're looking for. We need input about these areas from people that know them well. Please help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 06:52 PM

10 posts, read 79,505 times
Well, I grew up in Stanly Co and my parents still live there. I would definitely encourage you to visit before you move. Albemarle is the largest town in Stanly Co with the Super WalMart, Lowes, Goody's, JCPenny, and Belk being about the only shopping options. There is definitely the southern hospitality here but it's not the kind of area I care for. Of the places you listed I would pick Locust as it is closer to Concord and Charlotte and is currently quickly growing while still having the small town feel. If you have any specific questions, let me know. Again, I encourage you to visit to get a feel for the people and culture as it is different.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:48 PM

7 posts, read 23,064 times
Thanks abby! We will be visiting next week. I've been burning up the internet trying to get as much info as possible using the Chamber of Commerce for a more personal look. Stanly County sure looks inviting. When we moved to South Florida 20 years ago we never expected it to grow as much as it has. We feel moving now, before we get too old to be able to re-establish ourselves in a community, is the right thing to do. It's scarin' the bejeebers out of us (LOL) but, this too shall pass. Now, when you say the people and culture is different, could you expand on that? An acquaintance of ours, who lives in Concord (a life-long NC resident) directed us toward Oakboro, comparing it to Mayberry. Would you agree with that? Thank you so much for all your help.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:33 PM

10 posts, read 79,505 times
From what I know about Mayberry, that is probably a pretty good comparison. I'm making generalizations here...but people tend to be pretty "country." Everyone is usually very friendly and welcoming...but also drive their beat up pick-up trucks 15 mph down the road and go into the stores in their pjs. It's just a different culture...after being in Nashville a few years...it is just odd to me. If you are wanting to settle in to a place, Oakboro is very laid back (though it is a speed trap through town with the 20mph limit) and they have a great music hall that everybody comes out to especially during the summer. They also have parades for every occassion and have a fair/carnival in town at least once a year. They have a lot of community activities. Hopefully they will have something going at the music hall/grill when you are in town so that you can see the town interacting and have a chance to get a better feel for it. I'd suggest going out to eat at one of the little restaurants at night. Have fun while visiting and good luck in your hunt! I'm in the middle of a move myself to a place I've never lived and I don't know anyone so I know it can be very stressful and unnerving!!!

Old 05-15-2007, 04:15 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Linda,
We've been staying at a friends home in Oakboro for the last 3 weeks waiting while we are fixing up the home we bought in New London....still in Stanley county but 17 miles away. We have found this whole area refreshing and friendly. Yes, it is very laid back but I think that's what so many are looking for. We were planning on moving to the mountains but fell in love with Stanley county and the people that live there. Each to his own but it seems right for us!!! Good luck.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:16 AM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
I lived in Concord and Salisbury, and never made it to those towns. They are tiny! Populations, from city-data:

Oakboro: 1198
Stanfield: 1113
Locust: 2416

But as abby mentioned, they aren't too far from Charlotte. I could see them booming with subdivisions in the next ten years, as Cabarrus county gets filled up...

Old 06-23-2007, 07:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,465 times
Default Locust, North Carolina

Linda, We Moved To Locust Four Years Ago Preparing For Retirement, We Love It Here. Only 59,000 People In All Of Stanly County. Locust Is Located Between Charlotte And Albemarle And Between Monroe And Concord. I Did A Lot Of Research In Stanly County Before Moving From Charlotte And Am Convinced We Made The Right Choice. Good Luck On Your Choice.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 15,447 times
Linda, there are around 1,000 or so homes for sale in the Stanly County area. Many are new because of the anticipated expansion of the Charlotte-metro area. Stanly, Gaston and Cabarrus counties are the fastest-growing counties in the area, according to the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce. A major artery, NC Hwy. 24/27, is being expanded from a 2-lane road to help with Charlotte-bound traffic. Oakboro is one of my favorite places in the world because of the PEOPLE. I call it a "CAN DO" town. It once was a thriving textile town, dried up - and has gone a long way to develop a tourism-based economy. With the Oakboro Music Hall, Big Lick Bluegrass Festival, Oakboro Cruise-in, Oakboro Train Depot, Fourth of July Festival (a 10-day affair attended by more than 30,000 people) - research indicates some 250,000 people go to Oakboro for family fun each year. Town leaders have facilitated the creation of a town very much like Mayberry. Many large cities could learn how to be forward thinking by emulating Oakboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina