Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2008, 05:32 PM

9 posts, read 28,398 times

Advertisements

Hi, We want to move to NC but it must be a horse friendly neighborhood. We want to be an area where we will be treated nice . We are from PA and I've heard some nasty stories of the way Eastern folks are treated.

Anyone have suggestions on what part of NC would be good for us to look in. We don't have kids so just want an area with some land and decent employment opportunites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 08:46 AM

66 posts, read 285,125 times
Default Southern Pines

Check out Southern Pines, we have a huge horse community here and an equine hospital etc. The local paper even has a section named hoofbeats.

There are small farms and plenty of trails to ride on.

Southern Pines is about an hour south of Raleigh / Durham on Hwy 1.

Plenty of Yankees here, in fact the streets are named for New England states, we live a block from Pennsylvannia Ave.

Good Luck

Old 06-26-2008, 08:55 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Default Tryon-Saluda-Columbus

In my area of the state, it's Polk County, but employment is very limited. The city of Asheville is around 40+ miles away.

Welcome to First Peak of the Blue Ridge: Historic Saluda, Tryon & Columbus, NC

Old 06-26-2008, 12:19 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,553,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhorse View Post
Hi, We want to move to NC but it must be a horse friendly neighborhood. We want to be an area where we will be treated nice . We are from PA and I've heard some nasty stories of the way Eastern folks are treated.

Anyone have suggestions on what part of NC would be good for us to look in. We don't have kids so just want an area with some land and decent employment opportunites.
Don't believe eveything you hear.

I would look into the Davie County area just West of Winston-Salem about 30 minutes. Lots of Horses in the Farmington area. Winston-Salem is a city of about 225,000 but the Triad Metro area is about 1.5 million. There should be some employment areas in that area.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-26-2008, 02:53 PM

247 posts, read 997,822 times
I second Davie County.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:13 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Don't believe eveything you hear.

I would look into the Davie County area just West of Winston-Salem about 30 minutes. Lots of Horses in the Farmington area. Winston-Salem is a city of about 225,000 but the Triad Metro area is about 1.5 million. There should be some employment areas in that area.

GOOD LUCK!
While I second (or third) that idea, keep in mind that there is a drag strip in that area. Doesn't bother me; I even got a laugh out of the way people have been twitterpated over the recent motorcycle rally held there; but it can be noisy on weekends they hold events.

Btw, the development creeping up 801 has spurred the Farmington folks to action. They want to protect their area from the sprawl developing around Hillsdale (land surrounding the intersection of I-40/801) and have formed an action group. Kudos and luck to them. Reports are that developers from Florida and the northeast have been putting pressure on the owners of the large spreads in that part of the county.

A second btw: work has started on the highway 58 bridge that crosses the Yadkin. That's going to be a mess for awhile.

To the OP: if you land in the Hillsdale area and are driven off by the expensive development, get yourself a map of Davie and do some exploring. The rest of the county is, for the most part, largely rural and nice, except for the Coolemee area. And note that we do have some problems with drugs. We love living in this county, but I'm dismayed at how many arrests have occurred in the last few years. The fact that people think they can hide down some of the hollers and pockets of gravel road neighborhoods, yet be close to the express of I-40, has made it seem like this is a good place to conceal themselves. Thankfully, law enforcement is doing a decent job at busting those vermin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina