Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 06:29 PM

543 posts, read 1,825,136 times

Advertisements

So-- we're 40 days away from our move. House here is sold, house there is being built. Never had a HOA to deal with before.

We're in limbo though, don't feel like cleaning anymore, can't really pack yet.

We're looking forward to meeting some new friends, going over to red's house to smear lighting bug guts on our foreheads, then going over to nascarnancies to help hubby empty the fridge of bud before the expiration date comes around(fat chance of that occuring). After that we're heading over to Carolinagirls' house so she can give us and our little trolls a menacing glare and then going home to battle with the HOA about the neon elvis in the front window. That should about cover the first day.

I am actually disappointed that the HOA does not consider aluminum foil to be a suitable window covering though.

Actually We're looking forward to walking into the door of our new place. We have friends of ours doing the inspections for us and we haven't seen much more than a few pictures since it was in the rough framing stage. It's definitely going to be an experience for all of us. This will be our first time away from family and friends and it's as exciting as it is scary.

Anyone else have any big plans for the first day of your move?

Please share,

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2006, 06:43 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,249 times
Forget going to everyone else's house. We're waiting for your first Texas hold 'em night! (I never forget an invitation to a party that involves drinking and games)

I'm counting down, too, Markh. We're just waiting for my girl to finish school at the end of this month and then we are outta here!

Don't worry native Southerners-I promise to assimilate.
I Promise to never mention your accent
I Promise to NEVER start a sentence with, "But the way we did it up North...
I Promise to wave to my neighbors
I Promise to say "sweet tea" instead of "iced tea"
I Promise to not bi**h about missing good pizza and bagels and be happy with the barbecue trade off
I Promise to not flip you the bird in traffic if you cut me off
I Promise to slow down and talk to people when waiting on line
And...I promise to roll my eyes in disgust along with the rest of Y'all when another Northerner breaks these rules!
Did I leave anything out?

Old 05-19-2006, 07:25 PM

107 posts, read 354,244 times
We are moving from Long Island in the beginning of July. We have 4 children and just signed the contract for the sale of our home.. Where is everone moving to in North Carolina ????

Old 05-19-2006, 07:32 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusklan
We are moving from Long Island in the beginning of July. We have 4 children and just signed the contract for the sale of our home.. Where is everone moving to in North Carolina ????
http://demog.state.nc.us/demog/gif/prov04a.gif (broken link)

Old 05-19-2006, 08:06 PM

20 posts, read 59,825 times
We are going to put a contract on a lot in Mooresville next week. And will be building on it hopefully in October. Texas Hold Em and BUd sounds good to me. We will be down again at the end of June and it would lbe great to meet some of you.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:37 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,388 times
Contact me anytime. I have been here for a long time.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:57 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,007,617 times
We will be there end of June but the move may not happen until October as my Dh's work year runs Oct-Oct. We will have lots of exploring and work to do while we are there in June trying to figure out exactly where we want to be. I can't wait!

Old 05-19-2006, 09:08 PM

543 posts, read 1,825,136 times
Jersey, I'm ready for the texas hold em, $20 a round. Cheaper than a night out and provides some fun. You might even win... Actually I never have any money anyway so we end up just using chips for most of the games. Hell, after game 1 nobody is paying attention anymore anyway. I'm setting up the projector for big screen kids movies upstairs so that'll keep the trolls out of our hair for a little bit anyhow.

How old is everyone's kids? Ours are: daughter 11(might live until 12 if I let her) and son 10. There actually both good kids exceopt my daughter is an ignorant, stubborn sob just like me, always wonder where she got it from...

Chap, bring some extra bud and cab fare....

krusklan, 4 kids= yikes, 2 drive me wild most of the time...

mm34b, does that stand for "map master" and then 34b is something else that I won't mention? Actually, nice job with the maps and charts very informative and always a good read. Where do you find all this stuff?

Anyone know how to play pitch? Nother good partners game..

So where is everyone moving to?

We're moving to Huntersville. Villages of Rosedale... Funny, when we were looking on the internet, never liked the name or the look of the place and pretty much ruled it out. Once we saw the area, we fell in love with it and the home style. It's going to be *EXTREMELY* different for us but in a cool sort of way. As long as I can put in my own pool someday, I'll be happy. Plus it's right down the street from pizza hut

Gotta tell you it's killing us at this point to watch our new house develop and not be there to touch it.

So anyway, my dad was from Oklahoma so I'm familiar with some of the southern terms and accent. Probably some of the stuff he taught me you don't want to hear but I'll pass them on to my kids anyway. I almost feel like I have an advantage but not really, still a fat balding yankee.

Anyone else dealing with an HOA in your new place?

Mark

Last edited by Markh; 05-19-2006 at 09:16 PM..

Old 05-19-2006, 09:58 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,828,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
So-- we're 40 days away from our move. House here is sold, house there is being built. Never had a HOA to deal with before.

We're in limbo though, don't feel like cleaning anymore, can't really pack yet.

We're looking forward to meeting some new friends, going over to red's house to smear lighting bug guts on our foreheads, then going over to nascarnancies to help hubby empty the fridge of bud before the expiration date comes around(fat chance of that occuring). After that we're heading over to Carolinagirls' house so she can give us and our little trolls a menacing glare and then going home to battle with the HOA about the neon elvis in the front window. That should about cover the first day.

I am actually disappointed that the HOA does not consider aluminum foil to be a suitable window covering though.

Actually We're looking forward to walking into the door of our new place. We have friends of ours doing the inspections for us and we haven't seen much more than a few pictures since it was in the rough framing stage. It's definitely going to be an experience for all of us. This will be our first time away from family and friends and it's as exciting as it is scary.

Anyone else have any big plans for the first day of your move?

Please share,

Mark
Is your house still in the framing stage? If so my husband says to treat the bare studs with Boron to prevent future insect damage. We did that on our room addition. It's suppose to last decades as an insect barrier. Do a google search to read about it.

I'll let you in on a little secret, but don't tell anyone. You can smear lightning bug guts with red and drink beer with him at the same time.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:01 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times
I prefer a HOA I have one now and keeps people in line. I don;t want to see someones truck parked on the lawn next to me. Not that that's a bad thing but I prefer everyone to keep a nice place. I like Texas hold um too. Where is Huntersville??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina