Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 10:26 PM

107 posts, read 354,192 times

Advertisements

Hi I was given some info as to where there are nuclear power plants and I want to find out if anyone knows all of the area with the big nuclear power plants ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2006, 10:44 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Brunswick - 2 Miles N of Southport, NC.

McGuire - 17 Miles NW of Charlotte, NC.

Shearon Harris - 20 Miles SW of Raleigh, NC.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-20-2006 at 10:58 PM..

Old 05-20-2006, 10:58 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusklan
Hi I was given some info as to where there are nuclear power plants and I want to find out if anyone knows all of the area with the big nuclear power plants ??
Davie County (just one county over from Winston-Salem) narrowly missed being chosen http://citizensagainstperkins.org/ne...03-23_DCER.htm
and it's still not certain that they won't eventually put something there. Duke has owned the ~1800 acres since the 70s, with the initial effort to build a plant on the site thwarted by local opposition and the very ill-timed 3 Mile Island accident.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:56 AM

56 posts, read 326,764 times
Lightbulb U.S.Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusklan

Just out of curiosity. Why do you ask a question like that "krusklan" from
Long Island?

Old 05-21-2006, 07:56 PM

Hey citizen, It sounds as though you were nervous about my question. No need to worry, I have wanted to relocate to Apex but that factor has made me nervous ! So I was looking for confirmation on that matter..

Old 05-21-2006, 08:14 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,059 times
That nuclear plant bothers me too. I guess their is no perfect place.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
That nuclear plant bothers me too. I guess their is no perfect place.
I agree, it seems as though the schools are great there though, that is what has attracted me !!

Old 05-22-2006, 06:03 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
We Long Islanders were spooked by the Shoreham hype. Look at the safety record on those plants.. compares well with other forms of power. Europe is almost all nuke. If we want A/C & big screen tv' s we need a clean form of energy and nuclear is fitting the bill....

Old 02-29-2008, 02:03 PM

1 posts, read 7,269 times
Default safe alternative...gives me a chuckle...

I always enjoy the logic behind the argument, nuclear is a clean safe energy. Question, where are they storing the waste, oh, that's right on site, do you know why? B/c no one wants it in their back yard. Why, because what is the half life of nuclear waste? Take 5 min. and look into that, and let that number roll around for a moment or two. Can you guarantee (while accounting for human error) that on site containment will continue for that long with a "safe" record. The energy companies sell us nuclear as a magic bullet, it is quicker and easier when people buy the line "it's safe". Please, educate yourself on this matter further! If we increase the waste, where will it go, they can not dispose of the waste they have now. We need to start to understand this is not an option. We are better than this option. We are innovators and educators and leaning on nuclear as our energy pacifier is not the answer.

Builders could provide homes with alternatives, passive solar options, mandates for improved efficiency in new homes, businesses and universities could embrace alternative sources and their development. I could rant on and on about ways to cut our energy consumption, if not voluntary, then mandatory.

To the other person, I do not blame you for looking into the locations of the nuclear sites....that is exactly how I stumbled here!

Old 03-01-2008, 07:47 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Brunswick - 2 Miles N of Southport, NC.

McGuire - 17 Miles NW of Charlotte, NC.

Shearon Harris - 20 Miles SW of Raleigh, NC.

Apparently they want to build another reactor at Shearon Harris too, in order to keep up with the population boom in the Raleigh area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina