Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2006, 05:48 PM

128 posts, read 639,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas
Our decision to move was not an easy one....most of my life I had lived in Southern CA..our family was given an opportunity that seemed to good to pass up...but when you are of an age (closing in on the new 30 ) and your parents are of an age (already arrived at the new 50 ) and to boot your an only child with parents that are not in the best of health...my first response (without any thought at all) was NO!...I am not moving. Days went by...and after much thought and sleepless nights...I realized that my first priority was my immediate family and what was best for us (thinking back..my own parents had made the move to CA from AZ when they were younger). After pleading with my parents to come go with us they finally told me that they just felt that they were to old to start over again...so with that said (and one heavy heart) we left for the Carolina's. Now cut ahead to 8 months after moving here...when out of the blue...my Father called....they had made the decision to sell and move back to the Carolina's too..and could I come pick them up and bring them back....3 weeks later I was out the door and on my way. I only bring my story up...because I know there are others out there that will be making these same decisions...I wish a very good luck to you all!

Your story is truly inspiring!!! Thanks so much for posting!!! I don't feel as bad leaving ALL my family behind. Hopefully they will soon folllow, too!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2006, 05:55 PM

8 posts, read 56,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk0171
Your story is truly inspiring!!! Thanks so much for posting!!! I don't feel as bad leaving ALL my family behind. Hopefully they will soon folllow, too!!!!!

I agree,the story was very inspiring.I also feel my dh and I should do what's best for our immediate family but my parents beg to differ.My Mom doesn't believe in moving out of state.No one in our family does,my grandparents(her parents)live 10 mins from her as do all of the aunts,uncles cousins etc.While it's nice to have a wonderful close knit family, they don't pay our bills! We are in CT and it just seems like it's going to be harder to stay here and live comfortably.Wish I had the guts to make the move!

Old 05-24-2006, 06:35 PM

2,183 posts, read 7,971,917 times
My parents are both deceased. I know it would be much harder if they were still here. Dh's father is gone and his mother is in N. CA 8 hours away. She had a fit when we told her but basically because it would be inconvenient for her to visit both us and BIL/SIL seperately (right now they live 3 blocks away) I have all my siblings within an hour save for 1 who is about 10 hours away in N. CA as well. Funny thing when I think of moving I mourn my friends more than anything. Once you reach that "new20" age it is hard to make new friends. You have a tight circle that have become family to you, sometimes more than your own. I worry that we won't be able to duplicate that again and that frightens me!

Old 05-24-2006, 08:04 PM

11 posts, read 87,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas
Our decision to move was not an easy one....most of my life I had lived in Southern CA..our family was given an opportunity that seemed to good to pass up...but when you are of an age (closing in on the new 30 ) and your parents are of an age (already arrived at the new 50 ) and to boot your an only child with parents that are not in the best of health...my first response (without any thought at all) was NO!...I am not moving. Days went by...and after much thought and sleepless nights...I realized that my first priority was my immediate family and what was best for us (thinking back..my own parents had made the move to CA from AZ when they were younger). After pleading with my parents to come go with us they finally told me that they just felt that they were to old to start over again...so with that said (and one heavy heart) we left for the Carolina's. Now cut ahead to 8 months after moving here...when out of the blue...my Father called....they had made the decision to sell and move back to the Carolina's too..and could I come pick them up and bring them back....3 weeks later I was out the door and on my way. I only bring my story up...because I know there are others out there that will be making these same decisions...I wish a very good luck to you all!
Your post gave me chills. I'm in the exact same situation now. If this job offer comes through, we'll be leaving my elderly parents behind. My mother is heartbroken, my brother is accusing us of breaking up the family, etc. But we know this will be the right move for us and our two young children. We have to think of them first. We're trying to convince my parents to come with us, but so far they're saying they're not moving. I only hope they change their minds like yours did. Thanks for the encouraging post.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:11 PM

676 posts, read 3,067,453 times
You know, my realtor told me once you move to NC, your family usually ends up following. Let's hope for the best!! From what I hear about the humid summers, we probably should just wait to invite the friends and family for their first visit until the fall.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:36 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,534,656 times
I'm sorry, but your realtor "bent the truth". It's pretty rare to find a full family of transplants in the area. I'm sure there are some, but most of the time it is usually one nuclear family, with the kids and the parents (and pets of course). NC seriously isn't that great. I mean, it's a nice place, but it isn't a utopia were all who come could never leave or ask for anything better.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:03 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,451,187 times
When I moved to AZ My parents and my husbands parents and my sister and his sister and my brother all followed. Same with my friends who moved from NY to Vegas. Her husbands whole family and her whole family all ended up there. Now I'm leaving everyone for NC. Hopefully my mom will come. Her best friend is in SC. So who knows. We are worried we won't be able to duplicate our friends either.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:14 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,727,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
I'm sorry, but your realtor "bent the truth". It's pretty rare to find a full family of transplants in the area. I'm sure there are some, but most of the time it is usually one nuclear family, with the kids and the parents (and pets of course). NC seriously isn't that great. I mean, it's a nice place, but it isn't a utopia were all who come could never leave or ask for anything better.
I really thought I finally found my utopia, that place where everything would come easy. What ever I want I can have. With a snap of my fingers I can have the perfect weather, the freeways will be clear, I will find a job that pays a healthy 8 figures, the bugs will part ways as I walk by, everyone would be my friend, the house of my dreams would be handed to me without charge. Now I don’t know what to do.

Seriously, since you have issues with NC and some of the reasons seem more personal than anything else. I think you would have the same issues anywhere you lived outside of the NY area you want to return too. What would you change about NC to make you change your opinion? What is it about NC that you detest so much?

Old 05-24-2006, 09:33 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,912,548 times
Default What we're "after"

is warmer weather, but still a change of seasons. Good fishing spots (my husband's requirement), a place close enough to our family that we can visit at the holidays, but far enough away that we are removed from all of their drama (almost a Jerry Springer show waiting to happen). Somewhere that we can get a nice home without having to sell one of our organs. And, because we just want to.

And thanks for asking the very question I had been wondering about RedNC.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:40 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,534,656 times
I don't detest anything about NC. I just think its overrated that's all. I see the same thing happening here that has happened to so many places. The economy is good, cost of living is decent, and the quality of life is nice... so people come here in droves, they drive up the cost of living, the drive down the quality of life. It just saddens me to see so many people willing to drop everything to move here for these reasons. Then, when this place turns into the next Phoenix, which it will... what's everyone to do? I mean, I see their reasons and they are valid, but it just seems like as long as we move away from places that are bad, we just make the places we move to even worse. It's not worth it to me to live somewhere simply because it's doing great NOW. Many people preach family values nowaday and say that the break up of the American family is causing our culture to take a nosedive. Could it have something to do with the fact that a large percentage of people are willing to relocate at the drop of a hat for the newest "it" place? And the sad part is, it's true, most of them don't have much of a choice if they want their children to be able to afford to live comfortably. This is a serious issue that gets little recognition. I mean; where to next? Looks like Alaska is still pretty empty. Maybe after everyone lives in the heat and humidity for a while, the tundra will be the new ideal climate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina