Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2006, 02:55 PM

15 posts, read 57,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki
I hope your move goes smoothly and that you find what you're looking for. I love it here in the Triad.
Thank you for the well wishes! If there is anything you can share with me about that area I would greatly appreciate it. I hope to visit there before making the move, but I may just end up taking a "leap of faith" and doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue_in_CT
Needtogetout,
I'm kind of in the same boat you are and I'm also looking at that area of NC. The difference is I love where I am now (on the shoreline in CT). I still have the same friends I had in elementary school. I have my entire family here and have lived here my whole life. But the reality is that they are all raising families and most are married, and I am divorced and do not have children so our lives are very different.

Over time, the cost of living here has increased and my salary is not keeping up. I don't want to spend my life working harder and harder just to stay even. The majority of single people here also tend to revolve their social life around excessive drinking which I'm not interested in doing. I too am somewhat nervous about moving somewhere where I don't know a soul. Also, I was raised Catholic and our social lives here are not tied in with the church so I won't be meeting people that way like so many others do.

I feel like you do; that I need to "shake things up" in my life and make some bold changes. I know that I can try a move for a year, and if I don't like it I can go back; but the truth is once I leave my area, I could never afford to go back there. The housing market is just too out of control. For me, it's not trying something new/different that scares me; it's that I won't be able to afford to go back home.

I certainly wish you luck and please post updates if you do go ahead with it.

I certainly wish you luck
I will post updates, and if you make the move first I hope you will as well.

The way I look at it, I'm not happy here so I know I'll never want to come back. I'm not from here and don't really have any ties. My mother and her husband live here but they plan to move to AZ in the next 2 to 3 years.

Don't let the fear of not being able to go back stop you. If you really want to go back there will be a way to do so. It may not be easy, but there will be a way.

I wish you luck as well!

Old 05-28-2006, 02:10 PM

11 posts, read 36,780 times
Wink Getting out of the snow and high NY taxes

I'm new to this site, but find it very interesting. Next month my husband and I will be relocating to Boonville, NC. We are retiring and want to get away from the snow in NY. It is getting so expensive to live in NY, don't think we can live here on a fixed income and don't want to stay here because of the weather. We bought a nice modest house in a nice neighborhood and loved the town of Boonville when we were there in April. We have a son, daughter-in-law and 2 grandchildren in King, who transplanted there about a year ago and love NC and the people. Hopefully, we will make friends too.

Old 05-29-2006, 12:36 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,698 times
needtogetout,
I live in Greensboro, so I'm more familiar with this part of the Triad.

Greensboro is the 3rd largest city in NC (population 220,000+), but it's mostly kind of spread out. There are a couple areas that can get crazy traffic-wise (Wendover Ave. especially), but it's not too bad otherwise as far as traffic goes.

There used to be a lot of textile jobs in the area, but that's pretty much gone now. Such a shame, too. NC led the nation in textiles for years.

There are a lot of good restaurants and shopping here. I love shopping and eating out, so that's great to me. lol We have most of the chain restaurants as well as some local ones. One of my favorite local restaurants is Bianca's Italian Restaurant. It's run by a guy from New Jersey and the food is delicious! I recommend it to anyone who loves Italian food.

There are plenty of smaller communties in Guilford County where you can live away from the more populated Greensboro (my favorite of which is Pleasant Garden) and still not be too far away from everything.

We have a few museums (historical, children's), a science center (kids love that), lots of parks, a few colleges (UNC-Greensboro, Bennett, North Carolina A&T, Guilford College, Greensboro Technical Community College).

We have a good-sized coliseum that attracts popular shows or whatever like the circus (usually comes in February), monster truck shows (usually in January), Disney on Ice (usually in December), concerts, etc. The Nutcracker usually comes to town in December also. I believe that's done at the auditorium right next door to the coliseum.

There are a few nightclubs, comedy clubs and sports bars if you're into those kinds of things.

Greensboro is a big city by NC standards, but it still has a good Southern connection (I think so anyway) - moreso than Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham, in my opinion. Though Charlotte and Raleigh aren't bad cities.

As with all of NC, NASCAR is pretty popular here. We have a NASCAR Cafe (off the interstate and next to the mall), Richard Petty's race shop and museum are in nearby Level Cross (race shop) and Randleman (museum), and most vehicles around here have at least one sticker of their favorite driver. I have two - a 3 and an 8.

There are over 900 places of worship in Greensboro (mostly Protestant denominations, but there are some Catholic churches, a Greek Orthodox church, a Buddhist temple, a Jewish temple, etc.), so if you're looking for a church there are plenty to choose from.

There seem to be a number of northern transplants here, but not as many as Raleigh, Durham and Charlotte have I don't think. Not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing. Just saying it.

I can't say much about housing as far as prices. My husband and I bought our house 8 years ago. I'm sure prices have changed since then, but I don't know by how much. Sorry.

Hmm. I can't think of anything else. Don't know how helpful I was, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll do my best to answer them if I can.

Old 05-29-2006, 01:34 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Default Boonville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueb
I'm new to this site, but find it very interesting. Next month my husband and I will be relocating to Boonville, NC.
Congratulations on finding such a neat little town We pass through Boonville heading up to Mt. Airy and the mountains. I-77 is another option to that area, from Boonville, but that's the interstate and not as much fun as 601 That is a good choice for a small town with fairly easy access to the Winston-Salem area. Elkin, to your west, is trying to generate interest by holding festivals thru-out the year, notably a wine festival. Pick up highway 21 from Elkin and it will take you to Stone Mountain and up to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

For anyone who likes small towns, and (definitely) a slower pace, Boonville will be a great place to live.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:41 AM

Default Boonville

Thanks, Silverwing. We are so excited to move to Boonville. It is such a nice little quiet town, yet close enough to the cities and shopping. We presently live south of Buffalo, NY and can't wait to get out of here. We are leaving family and friends behind, and hope we will make some new friends. I know the area is know for it's wineries, which is great. Have to tour a few, and the wine festivals sound great. Thanks for the reply and have a great day!

Old 05-29-2006, 11:48 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueb
Thanks, Silverwing. We are so excited to move to Boonville. It is such a nice little quiet town, yet close enough to the cities and shopping. We presently live south of Buffalo, NY and can't wait to get out of here. We are leaving family and friends behind, and hope we will make some new friends. I know the area is know for it's wineries, which is great. Have to tour a few, and the wine festivals sound great. Thanks for the reply and have a great day!
Oh your touched a nerve...........where is this place? My husband is a big wine freak, that's how I got him to move.

How far is this place from the Charlotte area?

Old 05-29-2006, 12:31 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,698 times
Richard Childress (NASCAR car owner of the 29 Goodwrench Chevrolet) owns a winery, also. Childress Vineyards, west of Lexington.
Shelton Vineyards in Dobson (not far from Elkin) is a pretty popular vineyard.

Other NC vineyards:

Links removed

Last edited by Yac; 05-30-2006 at 12:53 AM..

Old 05-29-2006, 12:39 PM

Default Boonville

It's about 1 hr. 20min. north of Charlotte. I think the wine fest is in Elkin which is the closest to Boonville, but Yadkin county has wineries all over the place! We didn't realize there were so many when we bought the house, it's kind of a bonus! lol

Old 05-29-2006, 09:03 PM

niki, thank you much for all that info! i really do appreciate anything that anyone can offer!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina