Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 06:35 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times

Advertisements

I understand why i'informed is moving back. He misses his family and his friends. That is more important to him than anything. When I move I will probably be leaving two of my children ages 24 and 19 and taking two 18 year olds. I am hoping my other two will follow us. Phx is a very expensive place to live and it will be hard for a young person to make it here. Housing is very expensive. You get a renovated apt for 200,000. That's horrible. Wages here are awful too. I have an older mother and sister here and they may relocate with me if I can find them a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2006, 06:37 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Is it really that expensive in Phoenix? I was under the impression that was a rather affordable place.

Old 05-21-2006, 06:59 PM

It is very very expensive now. It used to be very affordable as of probably2004. It actually exploded last year. I bought my 1892 sqft home 4bd 3 bathroom with an inground pool for 145,000 in July 2002. As of now it's worth 300,000. It sits on a 5000 sqft lot. That includes my house Aka.. small yard. Last Summer we had bidding wars on homes here and lotteries for new homes. You cold not walk into a builder and purchase a home. You had to be on a list or win a lottery draw. Everytime they released a lot the house went up 10,000. So if you went back for the draw the following week the house was 10,000 more. We had an influx of investors and Californians coming in and that's why the market exploded. I could have sold my house last Summer for about 320,000. Since the market has dropped. Builders can't sell homes and investors are dumping. It's still expensive but it has come down approx 20,000 to 50,000. I gonna keep my house and rent it to 24 year old son. My mortgage is only 1000.00 a month he can get 3 roomates and have it made.

Oh to add to my last post. I was looking at some new builds in Apex approx 3000 sqft on a little less than a qtr acre for 258,000 ish. Here in Phx that would be 600,000 plus.

Last edited by Marka; 05-22-2006 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 05-21-2006, 07:11 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,333 times
The weather, the weather and the best motorcycle roads in the country!

Old 05-21-2006, 07:16 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder
As a life long North Carolinan. welcome to North Carolina. It seems like that you all have the dream to make the move a smooth one. And if you are nice to the people here, they will be nice to you. Southern hospitally if you will. I live in Greene County near the coast and most people here would give you the shirt off their backs to help you. But let me give you some of the things that annoy me the worse about the laid backness of this place but I have learned to tolerate.

1. Driving- Well, turning to be more precise. You are behind your neighbor's Aunt Mary who is well up in age and really shouldn't be driving. She either turns out in front of a car and you nearly have a heart attack thinking she has bought the farm. Fortunately for Aunt Mary, the car she pulled out in front of is well aware of her shortcomings and an accident is avoided.

She has to make a left turn. About 1000 feet from the actual driveway or street that she is turn on, she starts riding the left hand shoulder of the road until she gets to where she is suppose to turn on. Everything will be alright if she doesn't meet a car. If you run into this situation, stay far enough behind her until she clears the driveway just in case she meets someone and has to come back into the lane should have been in until she got to the driveway/street.

Also a large percentage of the older population have no idea what a turn signal is. The funny part about it is that it isn't a problem because they are so predictable, you know where they are going at a certain time of the day.

You are coming down the road and she pulls out in front of her just barely missing her and she starts down the road driving 25 miles an hour in a 55-60 mile and hour area. Then to add insult to injury if you will, the next street she comes to, she turns down it leaving you to wonder why was she in such a rush to turn out in front of you to begin with.

2. Grocery stores, You are in line in a hurry (yes we do get in a hurry sometimes) and the lady in front of you is going to write a check. She does absolutely nothing to speed this process along until the cashier has scanned everything and then gives her the total. Then she takes and enternity to pull out her checkbook, another 3 to 4 minutes filling it out after she asks the cashier at least twice if not three times how much did she say that she owed. Or another variation of this is she does nothing until the total comes up and you have to stand there holding 5 items or so with a wiggling kid as well while she counts out the amount she owes in change. It is amazing how much change it takes to make ten dollars.

3. My personal favorite actually happened. It is hot, some 99 degrees. I am in the drive thru line at the pharmacy. Ahead of me is Mr. Henry who is getting his prescription. Normal people realize that at some point money has to change hand to obtain this. He waits until she comes back to the window, goes to the truck of his car, pulls out this metal box that is locked, he unlockes it, pulls out his checkbook and proceeds to make a 10 minute process out of something that shouldn't take a minute or more. Mind you like I said it is 99 degrees, the A/C on the van I was driving at the time was not working and I have 2 children under 4 in the van with me fighting at the time. Needless to say I was not amused. To avoid this to some part, never go to the pharmacy on the 1st or the 3rd of the month. These are the days that child support checks and Social Security checks come in.

4. At the grocery store, if you are behind someone that is parking, never assume that once they are in a place that they intend to stay there. I nearly got the fender of my car took off and the driver berated me on my driving. My answer to that was it only took me once to get the car in the parking space right, not 4 times.

5. Do not under any circumstance got through the fast food drive-ins, not unless you like surprises.

6. At the bank, you can count on at least one person holding up progress because they don't know their account number or social security number to make a deposit. And it will take at least 5 minutes to locate these items.

7. If you are able to bank at the Credit Union, I urge you to do so. Some of the smaller banks around here have fees that only a bank can dream up.
That's it. No more Starbucks for you.

Last edited by RedNC; 05-21-2006 at 07:22 PM..

Old 05-21-2006, 07:41 PM

27 posts, read 138,107 times
Default Why we're relocating

Well, we're moving to NC due to the fact that my husband is a tile installer (super-hard physically) and is starting to get the aches and pains of being on hands and knees 8 to 10 hours a day..

Therefore, after careful consideration, we decided to relocate from Central Fl to NC to be mortgage-free. This way my DH can maybe go to school while I take care of our day to day bills (even our car will be paid off) or learn a different trade / start a different business without the stress of us having to pay a mortgage.. He didn't have much choice if we stayed here. We also have friends on the area that will be helping me get a job.

Heck, coming from central Fl, we'll be happy if we can escape the invasion for a couple of years .. Enough to be on our way with a nice nest egg and perhaps a little increase in value in our home if we feel the need to move again.. This is why we didn't select any of the popular relocation destinations in NC and opted for for a smaller / rural town.. ::keeping fingers crossed::

Thanks for the thread!!

Old 05-21-2006, 08:25 PM

Which part of NC are you heading to?

Old 05-21-2006, 08:44 PM

27 posts, read 138,107 times
a1m1700, I sent you a private message..

Old 05-21-2006, 09:39 PM

107 posts, read 354,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Thank you to all of the respectfull people on here who made educated, polite, and relevant replies... this obviously excludes the person quoted above. "miss-informed", that was a little uncalled for don't you think? I am moving for my OWN personal reasons, just the same as the rest of you are. I will spend just as much time with my kids there as I do here, and much much much more time with my aging parents, my brothers and sisters, and my neices and nephews. As will my youngest son, who will now get to experience growing up with extended family, which unfortunetly my oldest two did not get to experience as much. I was just starting a discussion to see what people expect in moving to NC.
Dear I'm informed, I made an error with your id, I thought that it was miss informed. Again apologies for my error. I understand your personal reasons for leaving also, I was just confirming if it was indeed you that was leaving because you missed your family in Rochester ( I was born in Buffalo myself ). I was also simply stating that for us, this move will enable us to spend more time with our children, I did not insinuate anything about you, I just gave you my answer to your posting. I am sorry that you mistook my posting as negative, but your posting has basically labeled me as uneducated and impolite which is not fair either. I do however wish you the best of luck with your move, and I wish much health and happiness to your family especially your aging parents..

Old 05-21-2006, 09:54 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusklan
Dear I'm informed, I made an error with your id, I thought that it was miss informed. Again apologies for my error. I understand your personal reasons for leaving also, I was just confirming if it was indeed you that was leaving because you missed your family in Rochester ( I was born in Buffalo myself ). I was also simply stating that for us, this move will enable us to spend more time with our children, I did not insinuate anything about you, I just gave you my answer to your posting. I am sorry that you mistook my posting as negative, but your posting has basically labeled me as uneducated and impolite which is not fair either. I do however wish you the best of luck with your move, and I wish much health and happiness to your family especially your aging parents..
Well, then, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I wish you the best of luck as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina