Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2006, 03:27 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,543,105 times

Advertisements

It depends on where you are looking to move. Any of the major metro areas are probably going to not be what you are looking for. They all have "high" crime rates (they aren't all that high, but compairable to those of an Upstate NY), and most of the homes are in subidivisions on small lots. You could probably find what you are looking for in one of the more rural counties....although they don't really have very good schools. Maybe rural wake county?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 03:58 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,519,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
It depends on where you are looking to move. Any of the major metro areas are probably going to not be what you are looking for. They all have "high" crime rates (they aren't all that high, but compairable to those of an Upstate NY), and most of the homes are in subidivisions on small lots. You could probably find what you are looking for in one of the more rural counties....although they don't really have very good schools. Maybe rural wake county?
iminformed, have you ever considered a job with the New York State Public Relations Board?

You could make the same case for western MA. Boston burb housing is high (but not going up in the last year or so), etc. You can get that rural feel by going out to the Springfield area, or even Sturbridge on the MA/CT border which is very nice. You can get the small town, homey, feel I'm sure there. However one thing at the top of my list was weather. NY,MA, and all of NE (for me) the winters last to long and each year, it's just more dreadful. Yes, this time of year, it's nice, cool, crisp, etc. I like a nice cold crisp sunny day for Thanksgiving and a white Christmas, but come end of March, I'm edgy and just want to unbundle and actually experience a spring. I've been through way to many Mother's Day snow storms and waiting until memorial day for the first real warm day, only to get it pulled back again for a couple weeks until mid-June isn't tolerable anymore. So unless you just love the winter drag (and there are many that do) Upstate NY or western MA wouldn't work.

Old 11-12-2006, 04:00 PM

5 posts, read 19,581 times
Default Rose

People move for different reasons. Climate, health, taxes whatever. On that note it's really not that it will be so much better in NC. I want to move there. I don't know how I ended up in Orlando FL. The area where I bought my house has changed so much. Orlando is nice but it's growing way to fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I'm just curious. I see so many people on this forum and well, on my street, that come to NC in droves and just think this area is so great. I hear many different things, weather, economy, qualiy of life. But I was just wondering if some of you could be more specific? What about the weather, what about the quality of life. What is it exactly that you feel you will have so much better here than wherever you live now?

Old 11-12-2006, 06:57 PM

6 posts, read 33,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jardeny View Post
i'minformed, I appreciate reading your point of views. What you say is correct.. That's why, DH and I have the full expectation than in a couple of years, NC is going to be the next FL.

It's what happens as people keep immigrating to this country, changing the dynamics of the neighborhoods, overpopulating and creating congestion. We would've liked staying in our neighborhood, however, it is insane over here now, not to say anything about the kind of neighbors we now have.. If we can at least get 4 or five years of peace in a semi-rural area of NC before they find us again, then we accomplished what we went there for, which is to get ahead a little those years that we'll be mortgage free and move on.

You need to also remember, that we all try to look at the possitives of where we're moving to.. You need to numb the fear of the jump.. lol.. . I think everyone on this board is well aware of the increasing growth of the areas over there, but are willing to risk it for the same reasons we are.

Have a nice day!!

and, I thought this is a country of immigrants.....did not know this poster had ancestors right here born in USA.

Rental7

Old 11-12-2006, 08:52 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,543,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalie Windsor View Post
People move for different reasons. Climate, health, taxes whatever. On that note it's really not that it will be so much better in NC. I want to move there. I don't know how I ended up in Orlando FL. The area where I bought my house has changed so much. Orlando is nice but it's growing way to fast
If you don't mind my asking. What do you believe the difference will be from Orlando and Raleigh (not sure if you are moving to the Raleigh area I'm just using it as a reference). They are both medium sized southern capital cities. They have high growth rates and are considered some of the most "liveable" areas of the US. What would you expect to be different in an NC metro area compaired to Orlando FL?

Old 11-13-2006, 11:07 PM

110 posts, read 454,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMom View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome, Bethanytedder.

And may I add, you are one of the posters here who give us a real feel for the people in NC. Thanks for all the time-and personality you put into it! What would we do without you and mm34b?

I second that thought, Bethany (which by the way is one of my daughters' names!)
You have answered several of my posts during my journey from just sending a resume last August to now having the job and looking forward to moving. I know you live in Snow Hill and that is not too far from where I will be working, in La Grange. Maybe we can meet someday!

Old 11-14-2006, 07:43 AM

37 posts, read 185,216 times
Just from my own point of view I am planning on retiring to NC from NJ because on a fixed income I can live out my retiring years on a lot less money. I can buy an equal home in NC for 1/2 the price of NJ. The property taxes will be about 10% of what I pay in NJ.
I can spend my time doing what I like best and that is taking my sports car to the many road race courses in the NC, VA area and having a ball driving my car just as fast as I possibly can without endangering people on the highway.

Oh yea, one last thing, one month less of NE type winter. I will be leaving my snow blower up North.

RD

Old 11-14-2006, 08:05 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,144,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Davis View Post
Just from my own point of view I am planning on retiring to NC from NJ because on a fixed income I can live out my retiring years on a lot less money. I can buy an equal home in NC for 1/2 the price of NJ. The property taxes will be about 10% of what I pay in NJ.
I can spend my time doing what I like best and that is taking my sports car to the many road race courses in the NC, VA area and having a ball driving my car just as fast as I possibly can without endangering people on the highway.

Oh yea, one last thing, one month less of NE type winter. I will be leaving my snow blower up North.

RD
Roger, I think you hit the nail on the head with regard to housing prices.

And weather, for that matter. We still have the same snow shovel (a plastic one no less!) that we moved down here with more than 8 years ago

Old 01-09-2007, 11:16 PM

63 posts, read 430,614 times
Default Yankee, actually a Met looking to move to NC

I guess you can add me to the list of those looking for "the better life" and have been thinking about the Carolinas. I'm from NY but will never refer to myself as a "Yankee" because I am a die hard Mets fan, lol. My parents live in Greenville SC (they moved there about 8 years ago). We both love Greenville but realistically I don't know if we could get good jobs there as I work in Television Production and she in Finance. With that being said we thought we would check out Atlanta and Charlotte as cities that could offer us jobs, and also provide a nice nightlife, golf for me, and shopping for her. We also like being active so places you could hike, or bike, and a nicer climate than NY were other reasons we want to move incase you were interested.
We recently went to Atlanta for New Years and we found it to be much larger, busier, and spread out than we ever imagined. To me it was a Mini NY, which was great in terms of eating great food and having things to do but the hustle and bustle and traffic was also NY! My point being that I want a busy city, but I don't know if I want to go from NY to NY Jr. While Buckhead and Virginia Highlands were very nice and upscale houses there cost the same as they do in NY. I was hoping to move South to get a better bang for the buck somewhat. I don't think it helped that my fiances wallet was pickpocket at the Lenox Mall but we are now concentrating on Charlotte. I am scheduled to visit for 2 weeks in the dog days of July. I am wondering if anyone can give me insight on Charlotte, is it as busy as Atlanta or is it calmer like Greenville? Or a combination? We are ideally looking for a place where we can buy a house at a decent price and have a bit better quality of life while having some nightlife, shopping, and sports/activities. If Charlotte is a good choice do people live in Charlotte or is it unaffordable and people live in a nearby suburb? Any insight would be helpful sorry for the long ramble.
-Doc

Old 01-10-2007, 05:39 AM

34 posts, read 87,708 times
Its obvious...... cant ya just feel what ppl in NC have to offer by readig the positive post?? Like someone said... its a no brainer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina