Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 06:22 AM

58 posts, read 249,626 times

Advertisements

It is so nice to feel welcome. We are from between Rochester and Syracuse NY, a small town called Clifton Springs. I can't breath in the colder weather due to respitory problems , and my husband has had 4 rotor cup surgeries and is unable to shovel snow. Not to mention the high taxes. gas, and utilities. Anyway, we have our youngest son in Statesville, we are looking forward to visiting this fall. My husband has worked for the State of NY for over 24 years. He is hoping to find work in NC, with the State or hospitals. He works for the DDSO,shipping and recieving and mail room duties, as well as working with clients equipment transfers, housekeeping and grounds keeping experience, His concern is that he is 56, and does want to work at least another 10- 15 years. Is a Very hard worker.. What is your opinion on a persons age and working ? Sure hope we meet folks like yourself, God Bless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanytedder View Post
As a life long North Carolinan. welcome to North Carolina. It seems like that you all have the dream to make the move a smooth one. And if you are nice to the people here, they will be nice to you. Southern hospitally if you will. I live in Greene County near the coast and most people here would give you the shirt off their backs to help you. But let me give you some of the things that annoy me the worse about the laid backness of this place but I have learned to tolerate.

1. Driving- Well, turning to be more precise. You are behind your neighbor's Aunt Mary who is well up in age and really shouldn't be driving. She either turns out in front of a car and you nearly have a heart attack thinking she has bought the farm. Fortunately for Aunt Mary, the car she pulled out in front of is well aware of her shortcomings and an accident is avoided.

She has to make a left turn. About 1000 feet from the actual driveway or street that she is turn on, she starts riding the left hand shoulder of the road until she gets to where she is suppose to turn on. Everything will be alright if she doesn't meet a car. If you run into this situation, stay far enough behind her until she clears the driveway just in case she meets someone and has to come back into the lane should have been in until she got to the driveway/street.

Also a large percentage of the older population have no idea what a turn signal is. The funny part about it is that it isn't a problem because they are so predictable, you know where they are going at a certain time of the day.

You are coming down the road and she pulls out in front of her just barely missing her and she starts down the road driving 25 miles an hour in a 55-60 mile and hour area. Then to add insult to injury if you will, the next street she comes to, she turns down it leaving you to wonder why was she in such a rush to turn out in front of you to begin with.

2. Grocery stores, You are in line in a hurry (yes we do get in a hurry sometimes) and the lady in front of you is going to write a check. She does absolutely nothing to speed this process along until the cashier has scanned everything and then gives her the total. Then she takes and enternity to pull out her checkbook, another 3 to 4 minutes filling it out after she asks the cashier at least twice if not three times how much did she say that she owed. Or another variation of this is she does nothing until the total comes up and you have to stand there holding 5 items or so with a wiggling kid as well while she counts out the amount she owes in change. It is amazing how much change it takes to make ten dollars.

3. My personal favorite actually happened. It is hot, some 99 degrees. I am in the drive thru line at the pharmacy. Ahead of me is Mr. Henry who is getting his prescription. Normal people realize that at some point money has to change hand to obtain this. He waits until she comes back to the window, goes to the truck of his car, pulls out this metal box that is locked, he unlockes it, pulls out his checkbook and proceeds to make a 10 minute process out of something that shouldn't take a minute or more. Mind you like I said it is 99 degrees, the A/C on the van I was driving at the time was not working and I have 2 children under 4 in the van with me fighting at the time. Needless to say I was not amused. To avoid this to some part, never go to the pharmacy on the 1st or the 3rd of the month. These are the days that child support checks and Social Security checks come in.

4. At the grocery store, if you are behind someone that is parking, never assume that once they are in a place that they intend to stay there. I nearly got the fender of my car took off and the driver berated me on my driving. My answer to that was it only took me once to get the car in the parking space right, not 4 times.

5. Do not under any circumstance got through the fast food drive-ins, not unless you like surprises.

6. At the bank, you can count on at least one person holding up progress because they don't know their account number or social security number to make a deposit. And it will take at least 5 minutes to locate these items.

7. If you are able to bank at the Credit Union, I urge you to do so. Some of the smaller banks around here have fees that only a bank can dream up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 08:19 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,087,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
There is one thing I find, well, let's say "interesting". Ok, so more than a few of you have said you are moving here to escape high costs of living and that you have essentialy been priced out of where you live now... the example that's sticking in my mind most is Arizona. Was it not only a few years ago that Arizona was considered one of the most affordable and liveable places in the country? Were people not flocking there in droves just as they are in NC now, for cheap houses, warm weather, and a more laid back lifestyle? Am I the only one who notices a pattern that will very likely repeat here? I don't mean to detur (sp?) you all from moving here, but it just seems that we are going to keep doing this until there's noplace left to go!

It happens everywhere i'minformed. I went to college in Boston during the 70's. Believe it or not, it was very affordable then. I lived in the Pacific NW before it was discovered by Californians, followed by everyone else. We benefitted from that, actually as our house doubled in value in 5 years. I've lived in Phoenix and was surprised to read on this forum that it's so overpriced now. When I lived there, back in the 1980's you couldn't give a house away! Same with the first place I purchased a house: Portland, OR. People said I was nuts for buying in Portland, that I'd never unload the place. Not true.

So one of the reasons we're looking at going NOW is to get there before the wave crests. That's not too far off. Then Raleigh will settle back in, the market will correct itself (to the consternation of everyone who bought at the peak) and the next hot place will pop up.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:11 AM

32 posts, read 56,029 times
i'minformed, I for one will be moving to NC for several reasons. I am an avid golfer and while Kentucky has some nice golf courses, they fail in comparison to the ones in NC. Also, I love the weather and the fact that since I will be retired from the US Government, but pension is exempt from state tax. I plan to continue working, but not for the government, I plan to work at a private or resort golf course (like pinehurst) where I will be allow to play golf on my days off. I could never afford to play those types of courses on my retirement income. My buddy in Myrtle Beach does the same thing and it's a nice life style that I am looking forward too. I have 5 years left with the government, but like they say, it's never too early to plan ahead. I have no ties to the Kentucky area as most of mine and my wife's family lives in NJ and VA. I have several friends who I have worked with in the government over my 30 years who live in GA, NC & SC that I can see on a regular basis and be closer to the beach.

I hope that helps you on why people (at least me) move to NC.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 4,407 times
I am curruntly in So. Florida and must say I hate it! I'm originally from So. California so the quality of people and lifestyles are pretty similar. I enjoy being near the beaches but that's about it.

I want to live where people are friendly and down-to-earth. My only problem is figuring out how to relocate without much money and not having a job before getting there. I am a divorced 32 year old woman, good job experience, A.A. degree (for now). If anyone has any info on relocating, it would be much appreciated.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:22 AM

58 posts, read 249,626 times
I am so sorry to post above you, I wasn't sure how to respond, please forgive me..

Old 07-11-2007, 06:44 AM

310 posts, read 1,715,278 times
Jobs, Jobs, Jobs
We moved from Columbia, SC to Raleigh for better job approtunities. I am in IT. Raleigh has many job approtunities in IT.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:13 AM

12 posts, read 34,876 times
That is funny, I have experienced all of these issues myself. Only here is Virginia....I guess you will probably run into people / situations like this anywhere you go. We are looking to relocate to the Southern Pines area. I hear it is wonderful there.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:17 AM

I am with you on that...getting there before everyone else does, everywhere I go people are talking about moving to NC

Old 07-11-2007, 09:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2bthemom View Post
I am with you on that...getting there before everyone else does, everywhere I go people are talking about moving to NC
the state hasnt reach we are full capacity yet lol

if you look at the map below southern pines is in moore county and it shaded light blue upper right corner above the two red counties at the bottom middle.

this is projected growth of the state of north carolina for 2010 to 2020

http://demog.state.nc.us/demog/gif/prog32.gif (broken link) (broken link)

Old 07-11-2007, 10:22 AM

Thank you that is very interresting!! I think Moore county is our focus. My husband will be working in Pinehurst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina