U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,242 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move South and wondered if we should move to North or South Carolina. Our kids are grown and I still work but my husband is retired(we're still young though). I would love to live close to the beach but probably could not afford it. Any suggestions on what cities to consider?
Rate this post positively

Old 07-15-2008, 08:49 PM

3,743 posts, read 12,685,371 times
Wilmington by the beach, Greenville SC for a smaller city with a nice downtown and close to the mtns, Charlotte and surrounding cities for a bigger city, but lots of traffic.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:46 AM

159 posts, read 304,486 times
Why Wilmington? Why Greenville? Can you tell me what you like about those cities? We are looking to move as well. We need to get out of the snow.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:30 AM

9 posts, read 20,407 times
I it very nice to get out of the Snow, but in all honesty it isn't that easy adapting. If you are used to the Cities of the North East, be prepared for some massive culture changes that could be for the better or for the worse. I like the fact that I can pretty much step onto and hang out at the beach for the majority of the year, but really miss the attitude of the north. People are friendly in SC and NC, but if your not willing to cope with the culture people won't be so exepting. The key is to keep an open mind and realise that this is completely different from NY even if your used to the Country. Good Luck. Also as for kids put them up in Charter schools, public education in the south is considered one of the worst in the country.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:37 PM

10,674 posts, read 21,495,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkkren View Post
I it very nice to get out of the Snow, but in all honesty it isn't that easy adapting. If you are used to the Cities of the North East, be prepared for some massive culture changes that could be for the better or for the worse. I like the fact that I can pretty much step onto and hang out at the beach for the majority of the year, but really miss the attitude of the north. People are friendly in SC and NC, but if your not willing to cope with the culture people won't be so exepting. The key is to keep an open mind and realise that this is completely different from NY even if your used to the Country. Good Luck. Also as for kids put them up in Charter schools, public education in the south is considered one of the worst in the country.
Be aware that the original post was in 2008. I suspect they've moved by now.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:56 AM

4,168 posts, read 10,692,581 times
Quote:
It doesn't appear that your education in the Northeast was top-notch either, considering your spelling errors.

your = you're
excepting = accepting
realise - realize (although the "s" is used in Great Britain and Austrailia).

Old 02-12-2012, 11:19 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,669,089 times
Quote:
I it very nice? *It is nice*
used to? Try "accustomed to", idioms don't translate so well in writing
some massive? sounds like a contradiction to me
your not? *you are not or, contracted as you're not*
excepting? I think you mean accepting
realise? are you from the the UK or the US? I see this word in the US most often with a "z" instead of "s"

I won't even touch your syntax and sentence structure but to say that I'm not at all impressed.

I wouldn't normally call out such trivial items, but as a southerner educated entirely in the southern public school system I find it ironic that you would feel necessary to castigate our school system when yours obviously left you deficient in some very basic elements.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:28 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,669,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
It doesn't appear that your education in the Northeast was top-notch either, considering your spelling errors.

your = you're
excepting = accepting
realise - realize (although the "s" is used in Great Britain and Austrailia).
lol, didn't see this when I posted...

Old 02-12-2012, 02:23 PM

22,974 posts, read 62,437,139 times
Ok the OP has not return to this thread since it began 4 years ago, Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread
>