Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 07:08 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
As a native, I think NC will become that way in certain areas.
As a native, I think NC already has in some areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 08:59 PM

29 posts, read 84,379 times
You're right. I'm a little embarrased to say I didn't realize Long Island had THAT many people. I knew it was crowded, but wow! It's SO small! Well, I'm sorry for all the New Yorkers and surrounding areas moving to North Carolina, it's just too expensive here and we want a change! North Carolina seems lovely & exactly what we've been looking for.

Thank you for all your replies.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:28 AM

167 posts, read 474,065 times
Long Island is not that small- 23 miles wide

AND

if you cut Brooklyn and Queens (which are considered Long Island as well) out of the count- your 7.5MM-8MM count gets reduced by about 3.5MM

so assume 4MM in Nassau & Suffolk Counties proper

as far as overcrowding- thats what they make HOV lanes for!

keeping it local- Charlotte has room to grow- and I hope more people from the North eventually make their way down as the cost to live up north becomes more difficult- if CLT got to a population of 2MM by 2015- that would be a great size

Old 07-20-2008, 10:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
HA! Those of us who remember what Charlotte was like in the 1970s and 1980s never thought that the area would hit 2 million. Never say never.
So true, Palmetto . . . so very true.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:02 PM

7 posts, read 48,008 times
Autumn breeze.... Its all ready like that here as far as i'm concerned!!. I left li. To try and find an li of 30 yrs ago. Unfortunetly it does not exist. I live in wilmington nc now, and want out. I grew up on the li sound, and dollar for dollar i'd take li anyday over this place. Of course its a hell of alot smaller, but in the "water" areas, waaaay over congested, long waits to launch a boat, over populated beaches, unfreindly people. And it gets worse... If you get tired of wilmington, forget it, there is nothing but depressing, run down, rual countryside for at least 100-150 miles in any direction. I'd really reseach before you made the move. Very high crime down here too. I'm thinking of going to sarasota fl. Just my .02 though..

Old 07-20-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLSKOOL72 View Post
Autumn breeze.... Its all ready like that here as far as i'm concerned!!. I left li. To try and find an li of 30 yrs ago. Unfortunetly it does not exist. I live in wilmington nc now, and want out. I grew up on the li sound, and dollar for dollar i'd take li anyday over this place. Of course its a hell of alot smaller, but in the "water" areas, waaaay over congested, long waits to launch a boat, over populated beaches, unfreindly people. And it gets worse... If you get tired of wilmington, forget it, there is nothing but depressing, run down, rual countryside for at least 100-150 miles in any direction. I'd really reseach before you made the move. Very high crime down here too. I'm thinking of going to sarasota fl. Just my .02 though..
Oh wow, I've actually never heard North Carolina compared to Long Island, just thought it might get CLOSE to it. I WILL in all efforts, stay away to over populated, congested areas of the state. Thank you.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:18 PM

433 posts, read 959,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnxBreeze View Post
Oh wow, I've actually never heard North Carolina compared to Long Island, just thought it might get CLOSE to it. I WILL in all efforts, stay away to over populated, congested areas of the state. Thank you.
Autumn, I've lived all over the South, including NC. If you'd like, I can give you some recommendations based on what you're seeking. There are great places to live and not-so-great places to live in North Carolina (as there are in any state).

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-21-2008 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: you cannot ask members to dm you

Old 07-23-2008, 08:21 AM

9 posts, read 22,096 times
As a native, I believe NC has already become overpopulated! Seems like there's wall to wall people. As for using NY as a comparison, well, that's like comparing apples to oranges. As crowded and unfriendly as I see NC currently, I'll bet that coming from NY, you will love it! Coming from that type of living up there, this will be a breath of fresh air. As for not welcoming folks to the area, yea, it's true to some degree. But on behalf of a true native, a true southern woman and proud of it.....WELCOME!!! We'll fix you some sweet iced tea and sit a spell! Good luck with your move.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:15 PM

Thank you everyone.
You're probably right. People don't even really smile here, let alone trying to be friendly.

Hopefully we'll be down there in just a year or so!

Old 07-24-2008, 02:11 PM

635 posts, read 3,092,838 times
Folks are probably beginning to think I work for the City of Sanford, Chamber of Commerce, or Lee County... and currently that would be an incorrect assumption

However, I once again would suggest considering Sanford. If you look at the population projection map on the first page of this thread, you can see that Lee County is projected at a healthy but slower growth rate than the adjacent counties supporting our neighboring metro areas. And I think this speaks to one of Sanford's strengths.

Sanford is almost equidistant from, and close to, Greensboro, Fayetteville, and Raleigh/Durham. But Sanford is also juuuuust far enough away I think to have its growth moderated, unlike some other cities abutting Raleigh/Cary.

Here is a map showing Sanford's relationship relative to these other areas:

http://www.secondcentury.org/pdfs/SC...r-HR-email.pdf

Sanford has been growing slowly but steadily, home prices have remained relatively stable and affordable, and there is a ton of new investment in our historic downtown and residential areas, including new development. I really think Sanford is a well kept secret that is on the cusp of breaking out.

Some other info on Sanford:

City of Sanford, North Carolina - The Official Government Website
Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce
Downtown Sanford, INC. | Sanford, North Carolina
Home Page
Welcome to the Lee County 2nd Century Project

But to answer the general question, coming from several other major metro areas myself, I wouldn't consider NC metro areas particularly crowded, although native old-timers will no-doubt point out how much worse it has gotten. And of course, we still have loads of open spaces. But even at its worst, I can't say I complain about congestion or overpopulation here in Raleigh/Durham, yet.

Good luck!
Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina