Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 07:03 AM

21 posts, read 88,660 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am trying to get a view of Hickory from people who know the city the best. I can only get so much from Wikipedia and other online sites. What is like commercially? Is there an arts scene? Crime? Property values/Apartment rates? Any other comparable cities in the US?

Anything else you can share would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:05 AM

371 posts, read 1,102,171 times
I grew up in a small town right outside of Hickory. We all say we're from Hickory just because no one has ever heard of the plethora of small towns that surrounds it.

Are you moving from somewhere else? That might help me compare for you.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Hickory is an Old South city.

That being said . . . there appear to be a lot of newcomers moving into Catawba County in general . . . not so sure how much Hickory itself (within city limits) may be growing. There are lots of nice outlying subdivisions . . . and many wish to live near or on the Lake. NW Hickory lake housing is going to be the most expensive. Go up Hwy. 321 N outside of Hickory, and you may find more reasonable housing. Also, Mountain View and St. Stephens areas . . . In Hickory proper, you will find older houses but many have been updated. The Historic district has had its ups and downs, b/c of economic situations due to closings/downsizings w/ the furniture industry. The county itself has felt economic pressures due to closings in both furniture and textile industries.

As for arts, many events are available thru/ Lenoir-Rhyne College and the Hickory Arts Council . . . and there is the Western Piedmont Symphony and Hickory Little Theatre . . . and the Catawba Science Center. Churches also keep an active schedule w/ events and one way to become better integrated into Hickory itself is thru/ joining one of the churches there. There are various Historic Societies w/in Hickory and Catawba Co., as well, and many historic sites to check out. Also, a park system and some nice areas for families to spend some time outdoors. The Lake itself is a nice way to spend time outdoors, especially if you like to boat and/or fish.

There is a tight-knit, exclusive social scene in Hickory proper . . . based out of Lake Hickory Country Club and NW Hickory addresses . . . and lot of Trustafarians w/ their own lifestyle . . .Catawba Country Club (Newton) has what I consider to be one of the nicest traditional golf courses in the region (a Donald Ross course) plus junior golf and tennis programs. If your kids are interested in golf or tennis, you might consider living near CCC so they can participate.

If you choose to live outside the city limits, social life is typically based on what school your child attends and what church you attend - as well as what neighborhood you live in. Many community events are based on sports activities. There is also a minor league baseball team, the Hickory Crawdads.

Hickory has a strong entrepreneurial base, and once had some large farms w/ beautiful acreage, much of which has been sold off for housing developments (but there still is acreage being held in families). If you pick a neighborhood and school you feel comfortable with . . . Hickory can be a fun place to live, b/c of its size. You find yourself running into the same people . . . and b/c of that - it is easy to meet and greet and get to know people.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 AM

21 posts, read 88,660 times
I will be coming from Columbus, OH - a city that is very diverse, has a large arts scene, many music and arts festivals, and has much to offer commercially. I know this is typical of many large cities, and I know that Hickory likely is not on that level (cities in more comparison to Columbus may be Charlotte, Asheville, Greensboro). I want to live close to a large city that offers similar things, however it seems an hour or so commute is more likely.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:50 AM

Hickory is on a much different level than Columbus (have close friends from there). While there are things to do as anifani mentions, they will not be as plentiful as a larger city.

However, Blowing Rock, Boone, Asheville, Charlotte, etc....are just a short drive away and offer all of the things you are looking for.

"If you choose to live outside the city limits, social life is typically based on what school your child attends and what church you attend - as well as what neighborhood you live in. Many community events are based on sports activities. There is also a minor league baseball team, the Hickory Crawdads."

I'd have to agree on this thought in the city limits too. Crawdad's game are a fun and relatively cheap time also.

The biggest thing to remember in that area is that the econony is driven mainly by furniture. We were there last weekend and all of the restaurants/bars in the Viewmont area (near Lake Hickory) were dead.

Rock Barn is also a nice area to live in and his a very nice golf course if you are interested in that kind of thing.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:56 AM

Agree - Rock Barn is a great area and I should have mentioned it.

I also think you were wise to mention the other cities . . . Charlotte is not far off (well, Winston, as well) . . . but Boone and Blowing Rock are the wonderful surprises nearby . . . if one is into mountains (and I am, LOL). Lots of variety in Asheville, as well.

Sad to hear that Viewmont seemed dead . . . the economy in Hickory has definitely been affected by so many job losses over the past five years.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:24 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
I'm interested in this thread from the standpoint of an alternate shopping destination.

While checking various retailers (ike AC Moore) who I patronize, I found that some showed up with stores in Gastonia, which will be convenient enough for me, but others showed stores in Concord & Hickory.

Would it be a safe bet that Hickory would have the better probablity of deals?

Old 07-24-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm interested in this thread from the standpoint of an alternate shopping destination.

While checking various retailers (ike AC Moore) who I patronize, I found that some showed up with stores in Gastonia, which will be convenient enough for me, but others showed stores in Concord & Hickory.

Would it be a safe bet that Hickory would have the better probablity of deals?
Not sure, SB. Hickory has pretty substantial retail for a town its size. People from other counties do come to Hickory to shop.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:58 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Not sure, SB. Hickory has pretty substantial retail for a town its size. People from other counties do come to Hickory to shop.
OK, Thanks, Ani.

My initial thought was that Hickory would be drawing from a fairly wide area as well as Yamkees on furniture-shopping trips. On the other hand, when I saw that there have been substantial job losses, I thought it might be a better source for sales or clearances.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:13 PM

You might find some deals at the local stores.....but the major retailers are usually running the same deals as here when I go to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina