Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 06:41 PM

29 posts, read 96,222 times

Advertisements

What about East of I-95?? Does anyone have any thoughts on moving my family to any of the small towns there?? (Small towns near Rocky Mount, Roanoke Rapids, etc????) Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 11:33 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
So true regarding small town life. Even though my small town was in CA. it was in the mountains and had a population of 6,000. The majority of the towns people were third and fourth generation. If you were a newcommer it could be tuff. Not that people wern't friendly but it did take some time to form any kind of trust in the new arrivals in town. You either fit in or you didn't. We were considered "mountain people" but we didn't mind...for us it was sort of a compliment!! I am sure it is no different anywhere in small towns.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:32 PM

197 posts, read 958,011 times
Default East of I-95

These are east of I-95, but in the southern part of the state. All are Mayberry-like:
Burgaw (30 min to Wilmington), Elizabethtown (30 min. to Fayetteville), Tabor City (25 minutes to North Myrtle Beach), Whiteville (45 mins. to either Wilmington or North Myrtle Beach, 35 mins. to beach at Ocean Isle).

Old 02-18-2007, 01:00 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,272 times
Our town, and surrounding are Mayberrish. But, as another poster stated, we are an hour's commute to Charlotte and 45 Minutes to Winston Salem.

To me, this is not a big deal, as I was used to riding the subway for longer than that, and it took 15 minutes to get to the subway from my home.

Anyway, we moved to Alexander County in the Brushy Mountains. After I left New York we moved to Naples, FL.

I can honestly say that I have more friends here, and more things to do than in either New York or Florida . . . sounds crazy??? I know!!!!!

The first 3 months here I cried, and now that my husband's job is relocating I am crying to leave . . . but we are going to purchase property so that we can come back, and vacation or visit our new "dear" friends.

I am involved in several things, and my kids are in 4-H, taking Archery Classes, 4-H, canoeing, and many youth groups and sports stuff.

We do have a Walmart in town . . .

I will never again want to live in a big city after this, it was an adjustment at first, but we all love it now.

We live in Taylorsville, and the surrounding cities that are also really nice are Bethlehem, Hiddenite, Vashti, Sugar Loaf, Ellendale, and Wittenberg. I'd live in any of those areas.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:03 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Default Hello bjt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjt View Post
I am a seperated mother of three, and am looking to move from Sanford. Are there any small, everybody knows everybody towns like Mayberry left in North Carolina?
BJ
I have lived in Mt. Airy for 7 years and, yes it is small, but no, everybody doesn't know everybody. There are generations of families that are here. In fact, on my street they are all related except me. I hope you have a good monitary foundation, jobs are scarce here.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:40 AM

30 posts, read 118,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Dear Lord, you would think that the NBA and NFL reside here. Well, in their small town minds, they do. If you move to a small town, prepare to conform yourself to how the other townspeople think and act; don't cause waves, don't be different. For some, that is not easy. I feel sorry for the people that move to small towns looking for an idealized reality, looking for that mythical place where everyone knows your name, people are friendly, etc. Small towns are not always the answer for everyone. I really hope that people get that because it is true.
I live here in pa in a very small town and when i moved 4 years ago i thought the answer was small town, but just like donna said this town here in pa is the same way with sports with the kids.

the town people do not want you to say anything just tell them that everything is perfect and looks great. i hate it!!!!!!! and i want out!!! so we are looking to relocate out there do to my husbands job.

The same thing goes with the schools they are great there's no crime but again my children see no hispanics, and people of color, or asians, and i really do not want this for them, i would like some more interesting people then just the pennsylvania dutch that are so boring, imo.

thanks for the input i will really take it to heart.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:56 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid View Post
What about East of I-95?? Does anyone have any thoughts on moving my family to any of the small towns there?? (Small towns near Rocky Mount, Roanoke Rapids, etc????) Thanks...
Look into Nashville and Red Oak.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:28 PM

94 posts, read 393,926 times
Default Mayberry -2 good 2 be true

I once lived in Marshall, MI a town similar to "Mayberry"...

"Marshall is a picturesque town with roots that go as far back as the 1830's. Largely characterized by hospitality, historic architecture and small town charm, Marshall offers all the benefits of small town living"
http://www.cityofmarshall.com/

Benefits of small town living: "Everyone knows Everyone" ... the obvious is generally comfort and safety. People are polite and Crime is generally low.

Detriments of small town living: "Everyone knows Everyone"... the obvious is gossip and lack of diversity. What you do (even in 8th grade) is attached to you forever and your dating options run out rather quickly (since you've started flirting in 8th grade).

After living there for 20 years, I refer to Marshall as "Mayberry/Peyton Place...

Old 04-02-2007, 06:09 AM

11 posts, read 38,252 times
oh yeah there are plenty, I lived right outside of Richlands, as a matter of fact my daughter lives there with her family, it is called Richlands. "Town of perfect water". Very laid back, alot of Farm land. My kids went to school there and I had no problems. Donna7 has a point tho, they are funny about the sports in school, all depends on who your daddy is. You just have to get to know people and they have to get to know you. That is EVERYWHERE. People should not go into a small community and try make changes with anything concerning families who have been planted there for generations.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:35 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times
To the last few posters starting with PA123 and ending with Nani (and the ones in between) - you got it right! In all truth (in my opinion), there are benefits of living in small towns, and I can see why people might be attracted to them. It's been an interesting thread (I hope it continues). You've all said a lot - a lot of things that I can relate to. There are both positives and negatives; as has eloquently been said by many. Wishing everyone a great day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina