Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 08:38 PM

19 posts, read 50,568 times

Advertisements

Hello. My boyfriend and I along with our friends that are a couple are deciding to move to NC, possibly Charlotte(Kannapolis,Waxhaw or Concord) or Raleigh. I was wondering if any one can let me know what life is like there? Crime rates? How is the job availability? I am currently a Office Manager. I noticed the pay is a lot different from FL. But I've been a restaurant server for 5 years. And a bartender for about 6 months....Our friends are from NC so they know that they like the area, but I've only been to NC once.....I believe I would LOVE it. A change of scenery. We were looking at renting a house. I appreciate all of the information in advance. Thank you SO much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 11:21 AM

I guess no one has any advice.......

Old 07-30-2008, 01:16 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie710 View Post
I guess no one has any advice.......
I guess we just aren't really clear on what it is you are asking. You asked about areas all over the place - from small town Waxhaw to the bigger city of Raleigh. If you can give a better description of what kind of life you are looking to be able to live, and how much money you can afford to spend on rent, we can offer some better suggestions.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:29 PM

Oh well thank you for clarifying that for me, what I was doing wrong.
Well we are young, early-mid 20's, not necessarily "party animals" but we would like to have a good time here and there. We are looking to live in a nice, safe area that has good work available to us. Both of us females are in the Office Management field/Hospitality Industry and the guys are in construction.Since there are 4 of us, we are looking for rent at a max of $1300/mo, a 4 bedroom, 2 bath(min.) with a garage. I have found PLENTY....many under our max range. But they vary from the Charlotte area to Raleigh...
I've done some research but I'm very concerned of crime rates. We are looking to live near a city like charlotte, but on the out skirts.....not the sticks..lol.
I just want to know mainly the differences, as far as work availability, safety, night life, traffic, etc. Pretty much anything anyone can offer would be GREAT b/c I don't live there nor do I know much about the area.
I hope I have given enough information. I am new to forum thing, in case you didn't notice, so please help me along the way
Thank you!!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:43 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie710 View Post
Oh well thank you for clarifying that for me, what I was doing wrong.
Well we are young, early-mid 20's, not necessarily "party animals" but we would like to have a good time here and there. We are looking to live in a nice, safe area that has good work available to us. Both of us females are in the Office Management field/Hospitality Industry and the guys are in construction.Since there are 4 of us, we are looking for rent at a max of $1300/mo, a 4 bedroom, 2 bath(min.) with a garage. I have found PLENTY....many under our max range. But they vary from the Charlotte area to Raleigh...
I've done some research but I'm very concerned of crime rates. We are looking to live near a city like charlotte, but on the out skirts.....not the sticks..lol.
I just want to know mainly the differences, as far as work availability, safety, night life, traffic, etc. Pretty much anything anyone can offer would be GREAT b/c I don't live there nor do I know much about the area.
I hope I have given enough information. I am new to forum thing, in case you didn't notice, so please help me along the way
Thank you!!
No problem, the more info you give the better advice you'll get and now you know

The first thing to do would be to decide on which metro area you like best - Charlotte and Raleigh are almost 3 hours apart and very different from each other. Just offhand from your job skills I would say Charlotte is your better bet though. Many people prefer Raleigh though because it has only half the population of Charlotte so it is not as busy and a bit more "family friendly". Charlotte is plenty family friendly too, but we have all the fun stuff like the NBA, the NFL, NASCAR, the Whitewater RAfting Center, lake living, a light rail system etc...

Do plan to spend at least $1200 a month on a 4 bedroom rental. You may luck up and find something for $1000, but you would want to be very careful about where that is located okay? Good rentals of that size are usually $1200-2000. a month. For people your age consider looking in the Lake Norman and Huntersville areas (on the north end of the county) or areas like South Park and Ballantyne (south end of the city). Hope this gives you some place to start!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:20 PM

Oh very much so, thank you!! I need all the help I can get. It is going to be several months before we move, but I want to make a GREAT decision. Also, do you know anything about this "state tax" deal? Will we file our taxes the same as we do here in FL? What about our vehicles? Do we HAVE to change the vehicles from FL to NC? My car and insurance is in mine & my dad's name, its cheaper that way...... Thanks for all of your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina