Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 04:56 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Yes you are absolutley right, I have to stop
letting the weather freak me out. Yes I am so excited to move down to SC or NC or whatever in between....so I'll just keep thinking about that.
The bad weather here in the middle part of the state is usually more like a squall: dark cloud on the horizon, booms of thunder and some lightning, heavy rain, then nothing but the smell of newly washed air. And considering the droughts we've been having over the last decade, rain is good, even if it is accompanied by special effects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2006, 05:18 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,864 times
we were at the lake today (Lake Wylie) and didn't get anything here all day (Fort Mill, SC area)...just some thunder off in the distance and a few passing dark clouds.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:48 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times
Funny you mentioned that I was just looking at a subdivision on Lake Wylie in Tega Cay. Looks nice..........

Old 05-26-2006, 08:44 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,695 times
Bethany bless your heart you are the most weather phobic young lady I have ever known! Remember the rain is good for the crops. Have you seen the corn down your way it is shooting up and the 'baca too. Go out and get your strawberries and make yourself some shortcake to take your mind off the potential gusts of wind rain hail hurricane force winds flooding earthquakes volcanoes thrusting up through snow hill etc.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:56 PM

No way ......................I am the most weather phobic person on this forum.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:29 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
I used to be the same way, Believe it or not, you will eventually come to like the storms. They bring some excitement. I have many times sat in my garage with the the door open and just watched them roll in.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:35 PM

They say facing your fears is the best therapy. I guess we'll see how that goes.

Old 05-27-2006, 01:54 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clodhopper
Bethany bless your heart you are the most weather phobic young lady I have ever known! Remember the rain is good for the crops. Have you seen the corn down your way it is shooting up and the 'baca too. Go out and get your strawberries and make yourself some shortcake to take your mind off the potential gusts of wind rain hail hurricane force winds flooding earthquakes volcanoes thrusting up through snow hill etc.

I am disabled and basically trapped in the house because of numerous allergies that I can't be tested for. The last doctor that tried to test me told me that my lung capacity was so low that it would probably put me in the hospital or kill me if she tried to test me to identify precisely what I was allergic to. At my age and height, my peak flow meters should be around 450. They are about 150 on a good day. I walked outside about three or so weeks ago to see a dogwood tree that Chris had planted for me and I swear I got poison ivy. From where I had've a clue. I was a nurse back in the 80's. When Brianna got interested in following weather patterns (she is nearly 12 now) I started working with her. She wants to be a meterologist when she grows up. So I try to track things for her. I am not particularly afraid of a thunder storm but we did have one tonight that started about the time we went to bed and it was bad. The main reason I am up know is to do breathing treatments. When the relative humidity falls during a storm, it affects my breathing. I was in the doctor's office this week with a UTI and pneumonia. I'm not what you would say obsessed with the weather. But I just think that anyone moving here should know ahead of time what they could be in for. I know if I were moving to tornado alley, I sure would appreciate someone telling me how to react in case of an emergency. I am not trying to discourage anyone from moving here either nor and I trying to scare anyone. But the fact of the matter is this is a big issue where I live and anyone moving near here should know about it. The state has wonderful possibilities to explore or at least they did the last time I was able to get out and explore some of them. But summer weather is as unpredictable as tornado alley is. The good thing about hurricanes (if there is such a thing) you usually have plenty of warning. At best, you have about 72 hours before the thing hits to get out if you need to. I probably could stay here during a Cat. 3 since I am about 90 miles from the coast and the winds have lost a lot of their punch with Isabelle of 2003 being a case in point. She was a Cat. 5 at one time, actually less than 36 hours before she was due to hit. But she weaken before she made landfall around the Outer Banks and the northeastern counties before she got here and as a result, we only lost a tree and the electricity never even went off (a first believe me). Fran and Floyd were another story. We had electricity back in less than 2 days because we are on the same transformer (I guess that is it) that the town is on. At that point I was able to do a little to help someone. Now it is a different story. If they don't know what they are in for or where to get help, I don't mind helping someone. I wish some of the movers were coming here. I would love to hear some stories about places that I know I will never see. But like I stated earlier, people who live here usually get here by two devises, they are born here and never leave, hence I am the eleventh generation to live here and I have a son and he has children making it up to thirteen generations or they marry someone like my husband did that grew up here. Most people don't settle here on purpose or if they do, they don't stay long. Not enough excitement I suppose.

Old 05-27-2006, 01:55 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
They say facing your fears is the best therapy. I guess we'll see how that goes.

And if you do come to North Carolina, you are right, facing the fears will get you over them faster. Maybe you can look me up when you get here.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:04 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,408 times
We got some heavy rain yesterday (it was raining sheets because of the wind) and some thunder and lightning. My mom said there was hail at her house (about 2 miles from my house), but there wasn't any hail where my husband and I were at the time. (Traveling down Chapman St. to eat at Bianca's.) It wasn't too bad and passed quickly.

Someone mentioned watching the storms. We do that, too. I love watching the rain when it comes down hard (we call them frog stranglers and gulley washers) and the lightning streaking through the sky. Beautiful!

If you check out the Flickr website and search for pictures of North Carolina (there's a North Carolina photo pool that I'm a member of), you should find pictures there of the recent storms as well as past storms. Check out the Wilmington photos for storm pictures also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina