Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 07:48 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times

Advertisements

Holy smokes I live in northern Montana, I get really ticked off when I see dogs kept outside with frozen water dish and all. North Carolina, I lived there for a while and I could live outside there, (almost !) Just kidding but outside dogs do fine there. Here it can get 40 below zero !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 08:00 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,702 times
If those dogs are sled dogs, then they have so much hair they stay quite warm even in below 32 degree weather. I know some will eat snow over frozen ice. Shows how smart they are but I am not an advocate of giving frozen ice to dogs, lol.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:38 PM

29 posts, read 84,379 times
But why have a dog if you're worried about the fleas, destruction (Hello, it's called training) and whatever else they could complain about. Yes dogs could be used for hunting, but IMHO; dogs need more than that. They need love and a sense of being a part of the family, leaving the dog outside does NOT give them this. I can't stand it when people leave their dogs outside all the time, luckily; where I live currently, animal protection laws are strict and if I knew of someone constantly leaving their dog outside (in the cold, heat, whenever) I would call up on them and have them at least check up on the dog.

Dogs are very special creatures and I love them dearly. My dogs are sometimes treated better than the kids

Old 08-03-2008, 12:16 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
I have never seen a dog on a chain in the 5+ years we have lived here. I do know quite a few dogs that spend a lot of their time outside, mine included. They are beagles and they love to be outside. They had primarily been house dogs until we moved here. I think keeping them in the house was our choice, not theirs. They do want to come inside sometimes (to check for crumbs under the table...LOL) but after a few minutes they want to go back out again. We do spend time with them outside as well. They go for walks, run in the yard and chase tennis balls with us and lounge in the sun and chase squirrels on their own. It isn't neglect...it is being a DOG.

Moderator cut: off topic, we discuss topics not members

Last edited by autumngal; 08-14-2008 at 04:26 PM..

Old 08-03-2008, 02:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Top Dog Breeds for Life Outdoors

Old 08-03-2008, 09:46 AM

247 posts, read 997,989 times
Back in Memphis, TN we had a rottie. We tried to potty-train him but he was so hard headed that he didn't want to do it. So we had to keep him outside. We had a fenced back yard and he loved it. He also loved the water. We got a kiddie pool for him and he would lay in it on those hot afternoons. He also loved being sprayed with the water hose. He was like a kid.

We never chained him and I do have a problem with that. From my personal observation, dogs that are chained tend to be more aggressive.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:40 PM

831 posts, read 1,965,052 times
Never seen a dog in NC chained 24/7....? Fascinating. I guess no one drives around much - try catching up with the entire ORGANIZATION formed to stop it called Coalition to Unchain Dogs in Durham.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:21 PM

214 posts, read 1,002,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
Never seen a dog in NC chained 24/7....? Fascinating. I guess no one drives around much - try catching up with the entire ORGANIZATION formed to stop it called Coalition to Unchain Dogs in Durham.
I'm with you, I was seriously befuddled that people have never seen a dog chained 24/7 here in NC, I only wish that was true for me, because I see all too many.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:53 AM

551 posts, read 2,287,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryGal View Post
I'm with you, I was seriously befuddled that people have never seen a dog chained 24/7 here in NC, I only wish that was true for me, because I see all too many.
I was thinking the same thing, I've seen too many. Right now we have a foster lab that was chained up at some point. He's got a big scar at the base of his throat where the chain sank in to prove it.

So, dogs kept outdoors for hunting/working purposes...I could argue those all day, but at least I get some of the rationale. I'd have to guess that those are in the minority, however. Whether on a chain, in a pen, or in a fenced yard, I've seen too many dogs starving for attention. It's not (just) about being too hot or too cold...they're pack animals, they're den animals, and they want to be with their pack - and like it or not, that's you.
  • If you don't want fleas inside, keep your dog on flea prevention.
  • If you don't want a smelly dog on your carpet, give your dog a bath.
  • If you are allergic to a dog, either take allergy meds or don't get a dog.
  • If you don't want your dog to damage your home, take the time and effort to train your dog.
  • If your neighborhood doesn't allow fencing or you think fencing is 'yucky', then keep your dog inside and use a leash when you go out.
  • If you received a dog as a gift but you don't really have time for it, then find the dog a good home with someone else.
  • If you bought a dog for your child, who promised to do all the care for a dog but then, to your great surprise, didn't, then find the dog a good home with someone else.
If you don't have the time, space, patience, money and love for a dog, then just don't get one.

It's that simple. Get a different pet. Or if you feel compelled to do something to 'help' the pet overpopulation, then make a donation to the SPCA.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:11 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Perhaps it is more common in some areas than others but most of the dogs around here are either inside all the time or roaming if they are out (roaming mostly on their own property, we don't have any nuisance dogs running loose). Of course I know people do keep dogs chained....just haven't seen it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina