U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 16,573 times

Advertisements

Hi Does't anybody know about the new changes to the nc car inspections procedures.If so please contact me asap,because I'm retried from all that BS from the state.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 10:44 AM

5,661 posts, read 25,377,576 times
Do you mean this?

Safety/Emission Inspection Changes

S.L. 2007-503 (HB 679) establishes a new electronic safety and emissions vehicle inspection process.

Specifically, the act:

�� Authorizes electronic safety and emissions inspections, and eliminates the requirement for an inspection sticker.

�� Provides that inspections expire at midnight of the last day of the month designated by the vehicle registration sticker of the following year.

�� Requires a vehicle to have a current safety or emissions inspection prior to renewal of registration.

�� Requires registration plates that are not renewed to be surrendered within 120 days of expiration.

�� Requires applicants for a license as a safety or emissions inspection station to have equipment and software to transfer information on inspections to the Division of Motor Vehicles by electronic means.

�� Requires, during initial implementation of the electronic inspection process, that the vendor selected by the Division of Motor Vehicles provide the equipment and software at no cost to a station that holds a license on October 1, 2008.

�� Requires an applicant for a safety inspection mechanic license to have training in use of the system.

�� Requires sellers of new and used vehicles to provide a receipt certifying compliance with the electronic inspection process.

�� Authorizes out-of-State emissions inspection if the inspection meets federal standards.

�� Increases the safety inspection fee from $8.25 to $12.75.

�� Requires the Division of Motor Vehicles to report to the Joint Legislative Transportation Oversight Committee by May 1, 2008, on its progress in implementing this act.

This act becomes effective October 1, 2008, and applies to offenses occurring on or after that date. (GSP)

http://www.ncair.org/motor/inspect/

Last edited by mm34b; 08-02-2008 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-25-2008, 02:44 PM

71 posts, read 277,457 times
Translation of this law is as follows:
1. Some politician has figured out if safety inspections are tied to registrations, then they can get more safety inspection fees.
2. This is a nice time to add a $4 tax increase on top of that per inspection, probably with the excuse that this new consumer ripoff will cost inspectors more money to do.
3. Inspectors will just sell more repairs to pay for this new scheme and you will end up footing the bill.
Check these links out if you really want to know about safety (tax) inspections:
The effectiveness of vehicle safety inspections: an analysis using panel data. | Trends & Events > Inspections from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/specialty-businesses/155310-1.html - broken link)
Policy ineffectiveness or offsetting behavior? An analysis of vehicle safety inspections. | Trends & Events > Inspections from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/specialty-businesses/181978-1.html - broken link)

Old 08-25-2008, 02:56 PM

16,308 posts, read 26,132,929 times
NC the state that has not seen a tax, fee, surcharge, or another way to pickpocket the residents that it didn't like.

It is all about the revenue, and safety is just the excuse.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 7,629 times
Darn right!!

I remember when it was $7.50 to get a car inspected in NC and that was only 3 years ago. Now it's over $30 and they're going to raise it again!

That's over a 400% increase! Absolutely ridiculous!!!! Not sure about you, but I didn't get a 400% raise.

Also, if that's not enough, they're gonna move it to the same month as your registration so they can double tax us in the same month! Great job NC. Especially when gas prices are $4/gallon, food prices are going crazy, the economy sucks, and NC's gas tax is already the highest in the southeast. They really care about the residents huh?

Old 08-26-2008, 06:50 AM

16,308 posts, read 26,132,929 times
SC and many other states simply removed this ridiculous process and eliminated auto inspections completely. But SC has also worked to reduce property taxes and other burdens on citizens also.

We have unsafe cars on our roads, and so does SC, and the inspection burden on people that do maintain their vehicles has no impact on those numbers.

But this is NC, the state that has never seen a tax, fee, surcharge or any other pick pocket methods that it did not embrace and implement to the fullest.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:02 PM

25 posts, read 86,920 times
Real quick question, i'm relocating from out of state and i own a 1994 pontiac grand prix what inspections does my car have to pass?

Old 10-08-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepony99 View Post
Real quick question, i'm relocating from out of state and i own a 1994 pontiac grand prix what inspections does my car have to pass?
Emissions - No
Safety - Yes

Old 10-08-2008, 10:19 PM

25 posts, read 86,920 times
Thanks i'm screwed!!! My check engine light is on will that cause a problem? and safety is brakes ???

Old 10-08-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepony99 View Post
Thanks i'm screwed!!! My check engine light is on will that cause a problem? and safety is brakes ???
The 'check engine' light (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) is reserved only for failures that could have an impact on the emissions system, but your car is exempt from emissions due to its age.

Safety inspection is:

Headlights
Parking Lights
Tail Lights
Beam Indicator Light/Switch
License Plate Light
Stop Light
Directional Signals
Horn
Windshield Wipers
Rear View Mirrors
Foot Brake
Emergency Brake
Steering Mechanism
Tires
Exhaust
Aftermarket Window Tint, if equipped

Inspection Manual - http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_ser...nforcement.pdf

Last edited by mm34b; 10-08-2008 at 10:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina