Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 07:29 AM

21 posts, read 88,605 times

Advertisements

I am from OH, moving to NC for a teaching job, and have heard MANY people speaking up that the teacher pay is incredibly low here (those people are likely teachers and teacher families).

Coming from OH, it appears that starting salaries for NC teachers are very similar to those in OH (once adjusted for the lower cost of living). The difference lies in years of experience - while NC teachers can expect 500-700 increases a year on the pay scale, OH teachers easily get 1300-2000 increases per year. People argue that "the cost of living is higher in OH," but that is only if you are a homeowner in a nice suburb. I have lived their for years and gas, groceries, utilities, maintenance, and various other things are the same.

A lot of people argue that teacher salaries are too high already and that taxpayers should not have to keep footing the bill when schools already underperform. To a certain extent, I agree. In any other job, pay would not increase for a lack of job performance. However, if the state is interested in keeping qualified teachers, I think more needs to be given for years of experience. Teachers will start the same in OH and NC, but in 10 years, OH teachers will make over $15-20K more a year than a NC teacher with the same experience.

While I am not arguing the "fairness" of this, I am saying that NC must do more to keep qualified teachers. Today's graduates have a great deal of student loans as well, and the only way one can stay out of the red each month is with a higher salary. Some states have recognized this, NC has not. NC does offer a nice boost for National certification - but, on the flip side of job performance, no other profession requires advanced degrees and pays so little. NC will continue to lose good young teachers because, especially with student loan debt, the pay scale does not reward teachers accordingly.

There is a reason jobs are so plentiful in the South. While it is certainly more beautiful and the weather is great, it is difficult (and becoming increasingly difficult) to make it as a teacher, raise a family, or ever possibly own a house. Of course, this certainly applies more to teachers with student debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina