Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-26-2006, 08:59 PM
 
Location: East central NC
212 posts, read 1,063,459 times
Reputation: 265

Advertisements

Hey let's not get all serious and worried about the second Yankee invasion and have some fun. I know we all have favorite transplant stories just like everyone else has southern bumpkin stories (yee haw) so let 'em rip.

Remember this is supposed to be fun YA'LL:

My favorite transplant story involves my dear old friend and accomplished adopted southern brother B.R. from somewhere way out west in the land of Organ.

Being a concerned caregiver to folks with hearing difficulties he decided to make his way East after a hitch in the 'Nam. Perusing the available information and wanting to continue with his love of the winter sport, he was especially attracted to the obvious downhill and slalom epicenters of Rocky Mount and Snow Hill!

Upon arriving in the area and not easily finding his way to the nearest chair lift he began to badger the local populace with inquiries pertaining to the apparently secret location of "the Snow Hill" so that he could unwind with a refreshing downhill run.

Having been assured that NC was brimming over with tremendous skiing opportunities as well as beautiful beaches just like his native Organ by various brochures from the NC Board of Tourism and Lying, he was understandably perplexed and confused to deduce that neither "the Snow Hill" nor "the Rocky Mount" offered any such diversions!

Nevertheless he *****vered and of course fell deeply and hopelessly in love with a tempting and sultry daughter of a local hog baron.

And they had several spoiled young'ns and they all lived happily ever after in the bobsledding capital of the South, Wilson.

true story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2006, 06:19 PM
JAS
 
Location: Metro Atlanta
582 posts, read 2,040,864 times
Reputation: 564
Default country ham

I loved the reaction of a co-worker from the northeast who ordered a country ham biscuit and puckered up after taking a big bite out of it - her taste buds obviously weren't expecting a pound of salt on the ham.

I myself don't care much for salty food, so I don't eat "country ham" (for those not familiar with it, "country ham" is incredibly salty, at least in my opinion).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2006, 06:36 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Reputation: 4325
It's definitely salty, and it has bones in it. EW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2006, 08:41 AM
 
Location: East central NC
212 posts, read 1,063,459 times
Reputation: 265
Country ham! The whole ham is hung up fresh in a cool place after being heavily salted. Then it is allowed to "cure", drain and dry for quite a while.
In the old days you would just go out to your curing house and slice off what you needed, and prepare it with "red eye gravy", maybe scrambled eggs, and a pot of coffee. And big "cat head" biscuits! MMMMMmmm. That would hold you till dinner, even if you were down in the woods sawing firewood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2006, 08:46 AM
 
Location: East central NC
212 posts, read 1,063,459 times
Reputation: 265
I had a good friend in school from Del Mar, Ca. Well Ray Charles was on tour and the local promoters of the concert asked my friend to tack up some posters in advance of the event. We got in his GTO with our Rayban sunglasses on and hit all the little towns tacking up Ray's picture. He still had California plates on the car and everyone, everywhere we went assumed we were Ray's personal advance men and knew Ray personally! We did nothing to convince them otherwise and maybe played the part rather well. That was alot of fun.

Last edited by clodhopper; 05-28-2006 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2006, 05:57 PM
 
2,560 posts, read 6,825,036 times
Reputation: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by clodhopper
Country ham! The whole ham is hung up fresh in a cool place after being heavily salted. Then it is allowed to "cure", drain and dry for quite a while.
In the old days you would just go out to your curing house and slice off what you needed, and prepare it with "red eye gravy", maybe scrambled eggs, and a pot of coffee. And big "cat head" biscuits! MMMMMmmm. That would hold you till dinner, even if you were down in the woods sawing firewood.
What's a cat head biscuit? I know about cheesy biscuits, mmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2006, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Snow Hill, NC
787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
Reputation: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by clodhopper
Hey let's not get all serious and worried about the second Yankee invasion and have some fun. I know we all have favorite transplant stories just like everyone else has southern bumpkin stories (yee haw) so let 'em rip.

Remember this is supposed to be fun YA'LL:

My favorite transplant story involves my dear old friend and accomplished adopted southern brother B.R. from somewhere way out west in the land of Organ.

Being a concerned caregiver to folks with hearing difficulties he decided to make his way East after a hitch in the 'Nam. Perusing the available information and wanting to continue with his love of the winter sport, he was especially attracted to the obvious downhill and slalom epicenters of Rocky Mount and Snow Hill!

Upon arriving in the area and not easily finding his way to the nearest chair lift he began to badger the local populace with inquiries pertaining to the apparently secret location of "the Snow Hill" so that he could unwind with a refreshing downhill run.

Having been assured that NC was brimming over with tremendous skiing opportunities as well as beautiful beaches just like his native Organ by various brochures from the NC Board of Tourism and Lying, he was understandably perplexed and confused to deduce that neither "the Snow Hill" nor "the Rocky Mount" offered any such diversions!

Nevertheless he *****vered and of course fell deeply and hopelessly in love with a tempting and sultry daughter of a local hog baron.

And they had several spoiled young'ns and they all lived happily ever after in the bobsledding capital of the South, Wilson.

true story.
Boy did he miss the boat looking for the snow in Snow Hill. That is were I live. And the name came from the Indians and the white sand on the hills that look like snow. But I am sure he enjoyed himself while he was here. And maybe a couple of years there, he got some snow. My husband works for the town of Snow Hill and we have one pretty good hill that the kids like to get on during a snow event. Well, they needed to clear it some and the women that live on that street nearly took the town employees apart for spoiling the bobsledding. So much for keeping your kids out of the street when it snows anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2006, 08:19 PM
 
80 posts, read 465,573 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
What's a cat head biscuit? I know about cheesy biscuits, mmm.
A good ol big homeade bisciut they can be big as a cat head
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2006, 08:20 PM
 
80 posts, read 465,573 times
Reputation: 36
Hey Clod hopper ya'll ever eat ramps down East?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2006, 09:31 PM
 
676 posts, read 3,075,313 times
Reputation: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by clodhopper
In the old days you would just go out to your curing house and slice off what you needed, and prepare it with "red eye gravy", maybe scrambled eggs, and a pot of coffee. And big "cat head" biscuits! MMMMMmmm.
I asked in another thread, but no one answered me, what the heck is red eye gravy??? While I am asking about food, what are hush puppies? I have seen the mentioned before and I think it was with BBQ?

Now I am kind of thinking about this more....any other food items I should be aware of before trying that may make for an interesting "transplant" story at my expense?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top