Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 02:04 PM

146 posts, read 909,551 times

Advertisements

I read this on the boards in a brief thread......did I read that right??? The kids in NC go to school year round??? No summers off??

Please explain this....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 02:15 PM

58 posts, read 229,036 times
Thats what they are trying to do in most or all Wake County(Cities of raliegh-cary-apex-fuquay varina-knightdale)schools. There are few actual year round schools in NC, or at least in my part.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:13 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,572 times
I think there are a few year round schools in Union County. They are in Monroe, I believe. They don't have summers off, but they get a few weeks at a time throughout the entire year.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:01 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,663,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ-FROM-NJ View Post
I read this on the boards in a brief thread......did I read that right??? The kids in NC go to school year round??? No summers off??

Please explain this....
It is not that the kids do not have time off in the summer...it is that the time off is more evenly spaced throughout the year with a shorter summer break. The kids are in school the same number of days as traditional students.

Not all schools are on the year around calender though most of Wake's elementary and middle schools are leaning that way.

Old 01-25-2007, 07:06 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,083,988 times
There's a few Union County schools that have a year-round calendar, probably the most difficult adjustment for us! Anyway, I think (yes, I'm still sorting it all out) it's something like 9 weeks on, two weeks off and 4 weeks (as opposed to the typical 8 you'd get with a traditional calendar) off in the summer.

Union County public schools has their calendars online, I don't feel like looking for the link but just google "Union County Public Schools" and it will take you to their website, which will have a link for the calendar for closer review.

SL

Old 01-25-2007, 09:26 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,617 times
Actually, it's pretty cool and makes a heck of a lot of sense. My grandson did it thru eighth grade and was quite sad they didn't offer it in high school. Instead of the kids getting bored toward the end of summer. They spread the break time around.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
Actually, it's pretty cool and makes a heck of a lot of sense. My grandson did it thru eighth grade and was quite sad they didn't offer it in high school. Instead of the kids getting bored toward the end of summer. They spread the break time around.
It's very hard to offer it at schools with many electives (such as high school or the magnets down here). They just can't find teachers and space to offer all the classes on all the tracks.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:07 AM

83 posts, read 352,272 times
Default Year Round School

The year round calendar is that the kids go to school for 9 weeks and then have 3 weeks off. There are "4 tracks" at each school. Each track is equal to a schedule for a group of children/teachers time in school. Everyone is out of school the week of 4th of July (the new grade year starts after the 4th of July) and the same time off at Christmas.
The program works great for many children.
My child has been in a traditional schedule school from kindergarten through 6th grade. For 7th grade he will be redistricted to a year round middle school. We are all excited because just this year, he started to get burned out on school around Thanksgiving.
To see how the scheduling works, go to www.wcpss.net and look for the calendars for year round schools.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:11 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,083,988 times
Per the vice-principal at my son's middle school, schools in Union County began year round calendars a little more than 10 years ago. (Again, this is NOT all schools in UC.) I forgot to ask why they changed the calendar. But, it's a bit different here too in the sense that there are no "tracks." All of the kids are on the same schedule.

And still, it's been a huge adjustment for us and thankfully, I have some flexibility in my scheduling or else, handling child care arrangements would just about kill me with this type of calendar.

But I remain happy to be here ... .

SL

Old 01-26-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Per the vice-principal at my son's middle school, schools in Union County began year round calendars a little more than 10 years ago. (Again, this is NOT all schools in UC.) I forgot to ask why they changed the calendar. But, it's a bit different here too in the sense that there are no "tracks." All of the kids are on the same schedule.

And still, it's been a huge adjustment for us and thankfully, I have some flexibility in my scheduling or else, handling child care arrangements would just about kill me with this type of calendar.

But I remain happy to be here ... .

SL
The businesses in the area haven't started acomidating the year-around schedule? Around Raleigh there are more and more child-cares and day camps that are offering track out programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina