Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 06:54 AM

6 posts, read 23,909 times

Advertisements

I am originally from New Orleans, now living in Baton Rouge. We have heard many wonderful things about NC, more specifically Cary. However, the opportunity for relocation is in Greenville. Any feedback on Greenville would be most appreciated. We are a lesbian family with two children. How accepting are the folks there? We know it is a college town, but how does it compare to a city like Baton Rouge(also a college town)? Are there lots of cultural activities? We are used to shopping at Whole Foods, are there any organic food stores? Are there many places to dine out? We will be homeschooling our two children, so the schools don't really matter so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 07:46 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,359,138 times
Hi Citygrl from a fellow Louisiana native Been here over 18 years - could just never bring myself to leave this beautiful part of the country. I cannot answer all your questions because I have never lived in Greenville. However, I can tell you from going thru there over the years it reminds me very much of Lafayette. The only thing is, it is kind of out there in the middle of rural NC, though that appeals to me personally. Since it is a college town I would think you would find acceptance there. I know the college and hospital are the biggest employers. Try checking out this link for more info on things going on there.
http://www.visitgreenvillenc.com/
NC is a great place to live and hopefully you will really like Greenville.

Best of luck to you and your family!

Old 01-26-2007, 03:14 PM

Lovesmountains-Thanks for your reply. The website you recommended was really very informative, I could tell that it is very similar to Lafayette.

I would love to hear input from anyone at all familiar with Greenville.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:35 PM

I can see where many people have viewed my message, however I am not getting much input. Should I take this as a message that my kind are not welcome in Greenville?

Old 01-27-2007, 04:57 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,201,185 times
Default Welcome to NC

I'm not from Greenville, but rather on the west side an hour away. If you were my neighbor I would not care what your preferences were as long as you are a friendly and good neighbor. Not sure what the folks in Greenville will say, but there are lots of new people moving to NC everyday and Greenville is sure growing. I would suggest a visit for a week to see how you feel, and what type of response you get. Best of luck!

Old 01-27-2007, 05:45 PM

12 posts, read 54,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citygrl View Post
I can see where many people have viewed my message, however I am not getting much input. Should I take this as a message that my kind are not welcome in Greenville?
If it makes you feel better, I have noticed that when people strongly disagree with something, or if they have a big problem, those tend to be the people who will respond right away. I think you are making more of an issue out of your sexuality than other people will. You could be a normal hetero couple and people might notice your husband is bald and you're hanging onto weight from pregnancy, or they might not notice you at all. If you don't make yourself stick out, then you shouldn't.

If you are going to homeschool your children, I would strongly recommend making some friends with other families so that your children aren't socially isolated. Honestly, your kids will be looked at more for not going to school than for having lesbian parents.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:28 PM

30 posts, read 120,381 times
Default Wish I still lived in Greenville!

Quote:
I am originally from New Orleans, now living in Baton Rouge. We have heard many wonderful things about NC, more specifically Cary. However, the opportunity for relocation is in Greenville. Any feedback on Greenville would be most appreciated. We are a lesbian family with two children. How accepting are the folks there? We know it is a college town, but how does it compare to a city like Baton Rouge(also a college town)? Are there lots of cultural activities? We are used to shopping at Whole Foods, are there any organic food stores? Are there many places to dine out? We will be homeschooling our two children, so the schools don't really matter so much.
Hi,
My husband and I lived in Greenville NC for the last 5 years and we're now living in Columbus Oh. The people living there as a whole are a very accepting group. We were considered yankees when we moved there but everyone was very quick to welcome us and teach us how things are done in the south. Since you'll be moving there from Louisiana they'l probably be even more accepting of you. There are a lot of younger people in the town due to the hospital and the university. If you're into sports you always can see a good game at ECU-as for cultural activities, I would have to say they are probably lacking in that area. The location is nice though-you're 45 mins from the beach-1 hour due east of raleigh, 1.5 hours from the RDU airport. Whole foods is in Raleigh-I always just took a cooler in my trunk and stocked up-or you could always go to a farmers market for fresh produce in greenville. Schools are lacking-if you change your mind about homeschooling I'd look into Parrot Academy in Kinson or The Oakwood school. Property taxes for homes are low-hence the not so great public schools. Good luck on your decision!

Old 01-28-2007, 04:32 PM

647 posts, read 3,332,930 times
Quote:
FYI - most people reading these forums are looking for info too, just like you are. Not everyone who opens a thread knows something about the topic - most are trying to learn something from it. Most of us haven't been to Greenville, but we're interested in the responses to the topic so we open the post to read, which is what I did. To asssume that the reason you haven't received responses to your post is just b/c you're gay is WAY off base.

I think that a vast majority of us couldn't care less what your sexual affiliation is, and those weirdos who do care would likely take the opportunity of you posting to tell you, in no uncertain terms, that you wouldn't be welcome in Greenville.

I hope you find the info you need, and good luck with your move.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
FYI - most people reading these forums are looking for info too, just like you are. Not everyone who opens a thread knows something about the topic - most are trying to learn something from it. Most of us haven't been to Greenville, but we're interested in the responses to the topic so we open the post to read, which is what I did. To asssume that the reason you haven't received responses to your post is just b/c you're gay is WAY off base.

I think that a vast majority of us couldn't care less what your sexual affiliation is, and those weirdos who do care would likely take the opportunity of you posting to tell you, in no uncertain terms, that you wouldn't be welcome in Greenville.

I hope you find the info you need, and good luck with your move.
I see your points! My comments were never meant to offend. When you are responsible for the lives and safety of two beautiful children, you have to cut to the chase and ask the hard questions right out front. I would rather ask the question here, than to find out that I made a big mistake once I have uprooted my family from a reasonably accepting environment. This is only one of many venues that I am using to research this topic, and everyones comments are welcomed.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:11 PM

9 posts, read 37,743 times
Default Greenville...

CityGirl

We're about 40 minutes from Greenville. I don't see where you would have any real problems there, but the most liberal town in this half of NC with regard to Gay/Lesbian issues is without doubt going to be Carrboro, which is right next door to Chapel Hill. Why not Google it and see. Warning! Real Estate wise you will be in for a shock (as compared to Greenville)

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina