Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 10:11 AM

69 posts, read 294,849 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me why in some areas the homes are real cheap (like in Rocky Mount or Williamston or Wilson) what is it like in these towns? can anyone tell me where a rural area around there is with cheap homes such as these two towns but not a bad place to live and what is the employment there like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2007, 10:18 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
You will probably get more specific info from people more familiar with theses areas, but my understanding is that the housing is less expensive in the areas you mentioned because their local economies are not so hot. There is a real shortage of high paying jobs in those areas.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:55 AM

325 posts, read 1,408,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
You will probably get more specific info from people more familiar with theses areas, but my understanding is that the housing is less expensive in the areas you mentioned because their local economies are not so hot. There is a real shortage of high paying jobs in those areas.
Ditto. Take it from a Rocky Mount/Wilson native. I'd live down there if I could find a job that pays as well as in Raleigh. Instead I work in Raleigh, but live near Zebulon, to cut the difference in half between my job and my folks. Don't get me wrong though, I love it out here in the boonies near Zebulon.

Last edited by ncsu99; 01-26-2007 at 12:06 PM..

Old 01-26-2007, 11:58 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnefam5 View Post
Can anyone tell me why in some areas the homes are real cheap (like in Rocky Mount or Williamston or Wilson) what is it like in these towns? can anyone tell me where a rural area around there is with cheap homes such as these two towns but not a bad place to live and what is the employment there like?
I have to concur with everyone....they aren't bad places to live, but they just don't have the economy yet to sustain any sort of growth.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:35 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
Actually there are expensive homes in this area right along with the less expensive. At least I consider them to be pricey at 225,000 to 350,000 and in Fords Colony even more! We have been looking around the eastern side for homes, and yes, there are quite a few homes that are priced low, but I would not want to live in most of these areas. I'm still getting a feel of the area, but even in Zebulon the houses are less expensive than back in Michigan, and that is close to Raleigh. This area has not grown in the same manner as the west side of the state, but that is going to change as more business locate here.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
Actually there are expensive homes in this area right along with the less expensive.
That's the truth! You'd be hard pressed to find a home under $500,000 in the Belle Meade subdivision in Wilson. Neighborhoods near and on golf courses (Wilson Country Club and Northgreen in Rocky Mt especially) and near Buckhorn (in western Wilson County) and the Tar River (a few miles west of Rocky Mt) Reservoirs are also quite pricey.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:47 PM

58 posts, read 229,046 times
I moved from michigan to edgecombe county a while back, and most homes here are cheap. It is because most people here are in poverty id guess. If you are looking for something a bit away from raliegh, and you want a nice rural setting, you might want to look into nash county in nashville or spring hope, edgecombe county in tarboro or pinetops, or anywhere outside of downtown in wilson. Wilson would be your best bet to find a decent home and cheap. Edgecombe county has a lot of poverty, gangs, etc. Stay away from rocky mount, that is all that you will find there. Willimston is a bit east in Martin County and is closer to the ocean that all of the mentioned cities above. really dont know what ones going for these days in the martin county area.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTarheel07 View Post
I moved from michigan to edgecombe county a while back, and most homes here are cheap. It is because most people here are in poverty id guess. If you are looking for something a bit away from raliegh, and you want a nice rural setting, you might want to look into nash county in nashville or spring hope, edgecombe county in tarboro or pinetops, or anywhere outside of downtown in wilson. Wilson would be your best bet to find a decent home and cheap. Edgecombe county has a lot of poverty, gangs, etc. Stay away from rocky mount, that is all that you will find there. Willimston is a bit east in Martin County and is closer to the ocean that all of the mentioned cities above. really dont know what ones going for these days in the martin county area.
I think you've only been visiting the Edgecombe side of Rocky Mount there Tarheel. That may be the case on the east side of Rocky Mount, but there are nicer areas, especially west of US 301.

You are correct in saying to look in Spring Hope and Nashville. Those are two of the prettiest little towns in that part of the state.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:05 PM

58 posts, read 229,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsu99 View Post
I think you've only been visiting the Edgecombe side of Rocky Mount there Tarheel. That may be the case on the east side of Rocky Mount, but there are nicer areas, especially west of US 301.

You are correct in saying to look in Spring Hope and Nashville. Those are two of the prettiest little towns in that part of the state.

I dont go through the nash county side except to eat on 301 or go down george street to NC97.

I have seen the nice side of nash county rocky mount, and id like to say it would be a nice place to raise a family.

As far as the rocky mount that I live near, it is mainly ran down compared to in nash county.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:41 PM

10-4 Tarheel. I get what you're saying now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina