Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 05:45 PM

10 posts, read 53,079 times

Advertisements

I've applied for several jobs online including entry level positions. I never get a response. I have over 10 years experience in my field (Criminal Justice) as well as an associate's degree. I don't believe my qualifications are the problem but I do believe online applications and resumes are ignored. Has anyone ever gotten a response from applying online to employers. Do they even bother to review your resumes or applications. It feels like the response is always better when you apply in person or fax an application but I've been told by several employers to go online to apply for positions in their companies. Now I don't even bother because I feel like I'm wasting my time filling out something that will never be read. Please, if anyone has any suggestion or would like to share their online job searching experience I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 05:59 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,166 times
My husband has had the same experience trying to apply for jobs in Virginia. He have been sending resumes, paper and online, for almost a year now with no response. I wish I could tell you that we've found the answer as to why this happens, but we haven't. We did decide to try federal and state government jobs in hopes that maybe they are less interested in the out of state issue. I don't know if your type of job is available through the state, but it could be a better option than the local level. Keep trying!

Old 08-11-2008, 06:07 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,850,694 times
apply online and send a hard copy of your resume and cover letter VIA snail mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeenslee View Post
I've applied for several jobs online including entry level positions. I never get a response. I have over 10 years experience in my field (Criminal Justice) as well as an associate's degree. I don't believe my qualifications are the problem but I do believe online applications and resumes are ignored. Has anyone ever gotten a response from applying online to employers. Do they even bother to review your resumes or applications. It feels like the response is always better when you apply in person or fax an application but I've been told by several employers to go online to apply for positions in their companies. Now I don't even bother because I feel like I'm wasting my time filling out something that will never be read. Please, if anyone has any suggestion or would like to share their online job searching experience I would appreciate it.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:36 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,418 times
I've had good experiences applying for jobs online. Make sure that you're applying on the company's website rather than through Monster or Careerbuilder and make sure that the job is a good fit. It is easy to send out 100s of applications but if you're just shooting in the dark then you'll likely be ignored.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:36 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,747 times
We went through a recruiter. I still took 9 months but in the end the job was a perfect fit for all. Don't just send your resume to a recruiter though. Make an appointment and go in person. Then follow up with a phone call every week. When moving from another state most companies and recruiters do not take you seriously unless you are willing to make the trip here. We were told by the recruiters we used that they receive 100's of resumes per day and throw ones in the trash that do not make an appointment. Too many people are just testing the waters.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:00 AM

151 posts, read 693,516 times
Since most companies require you apply online do so then wait a week or two and send a follow up e-mail, or phone call. For example Im trying to relocate in a few weeks, and ive applied to UNC, Rex, and Wakemed, Gentiva medical centers since ill have a phlebotomy certificate. I applied last week im giving them this week then next week ill be calling each and everyone to follow up! You need to be proactive aside from having a good resume or else youll be lost in the resume abyss!

Now if I get nowhere with those calls ill finnd a way to obtain the numbers of the managers in the departments I applied to and start callling them directly and bypass hr altogether, get where im going with this.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:23 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Applying online is becoming more and more the norm and so to ignore this would be foolish. Getting responses has little to do with online vs "in person" or fax (in fact I think many prefer online). Might just be a function of the job market. I also agree with contacting headhunters. Costs you nothing and can really help, they do a lot of legwork for you.....

Old 08-13-2008, 04:15 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
I agree with the op about applying online. My DH applied to several places and only once did he get an e-mail back. The e-mail told him that he didn't qualify for the position. I'd rather hear that knowing his resume' was considered. We live in the town he's been applying for, not that it makes a difference. It's frustrating.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:52 PM

958 posts, read 2,621,674 times
Applied for a job about a year ago on Career Builder. Phone interview a week later with the corporate recruiter, another one a few days later with the department manager, face to face about 4 days later with the same person, and then hired the next week. A great job making excellent money with a Fortune 100 company. I can't complain about it.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:24 AM

525 posts, read 1,298,132 times
I work for a company here in NC that actually provides a recruiting system to process online applicants. We have many, many Fortune 100 companies as clients, and they pour a TON of money into their online recruiting efforts, so yes, they do pay attention to online applicants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina