Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:50 AM

29 posts, read 106,750 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in New York State and have had it with the weather and cost of living. My parents moved here a few years ago from Florida (my mother is disabled) so I can help out. I had a change of life and am now looking to relocate to North Carolina. I know my parents would follow me there. I have my Bachelors degree and many years of work experience. I have worked in a College for over 12 years and am looking for that type of work or I would love to do event planning. I would like a smallish town with friendly people and hopefully places for my parents to go and meet other people their age. I am not ready to move right now – but I would like to get some suggestions/advise on areas. I would really like to make this move by the end of this year, early next year. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 08:38 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,426,231 times
Given all of your requirements, desires, I think the Triangle would best meet your needs. Mild winters, 'retirement capital' of the South (or one of them), excellent health facilities and access to medical care, major hospitals and excellent DRs, reasonable cost of living, and numbers of colleges and universities. . . lovely amenities like the theater, museums, sports, a parks system and green way. Good choices for shopping. Easy commutes, relatively speaking -- easier than what you may be used to.

Water is of concern, right now, but places like Cary are in a little better situation.

You might do well settling in a smaller community like Apex, Clayton, Holly Springs, unless that would be too small, too laid-back to suit you. I would stay out of Raleigh, and other big cities, only because of the drought right now, and population concentration.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:57 AM

8 posts, read 46,537 times
You should consider Tarboro. We moved here just 3 years ago and will be moving my octogenarian parents here from Maryland this spring. This town of 11,000 people is located just over an hour east of Raleigh and centrally located for an easy 15-30 minute commute to Wilson, Greenville, Rocky Mount or Williamston. The employment situation in town is not ideal but the lower price of real estate makes it a very appealing option and there are many many programs for senior citizens.
The town is looking to hire a new head of the Chamber of Commerce, your experience might be perfect for the job.
Tarboro is welcoming newcomers with open arms. It has seen some hard times but has come out shining. A beautiful town with the friendliest people you'll ever meet. In the past 3 years, the newcomers to Tarboro have brought with them energy and creativity to enhance the historic charm of this town with a new vibrancy. Visit Grassroots of Tarboro, North Carolina to see what I mean.

Last edited by stillma; 03-02-2008 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 03-02-2008, 08:54 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,233,904 times
Consider Elizabeth City (coast), Chapel Hill (mid-state), and Black Mountain (mountains), all smallish to tiny, I'm familiar with them, Chapel Hill is my favorite. Do some searches, check them out, see whatcha see. Neighborhood and location is everything for older people, they like sidewalks, porches, close-by shops. And of course you'll need good hospitals and healthcare options. All three have those things. Your college working experience will go a long way in those places, as well.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:50 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,426,231 times
All of these are good suggestions for you, woodstocksnoopy. You have a lot of homework to do now.

Maybe as you look at some of these areas, we'll have answers to questions you may develop. Have fun searching, and good luck. Wherever you end up in the state, NC is a nice place to call 'home.'

Old 03-02-2008, 12:06 PM

Thank you so much for all your help. I appreciate the comments so much - being that healthcare for my parents and my employment are the 2 biggest issues I face. I would prefer a small town to a larger one to live and commuting to work wouldn't be an issue - as long as I am not commuting in blizzards!!!

Old 03-02-2008, 06:21 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,148,957 times
Also consider the Fort Mill / Charlotte area. My parents (they are independent, so at this point the location is great for them) live in Sun City, which is in Lancaster county just south of the Charlotte border, while we live in Union County. We also relocated from NY (but not from Woodstock!) almost 10 years ago...yes "snow" is a four letter word in our book...

Old 03-03-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
Also consider the Fort Mill / Charlotte area. My parents (they are independent, so at this point the location is great for them) live in Sun City, which is in Lancaster county just south of the Charlotte border, while we live in Union County. We also relocated from NY (but not from Woodstock!) almost 10 years ago...yes "snow" is a four letter word in our book...
I was a little concerned when I read some forums about the crime in Charlotte. I am not the type of person that panics over everything, but it did send some signals off in my head. Have you or your parents ever felt unsafe?

Old 08-12-2008, 09:10 PM

161 posts, read 514,080 times
Hello!

Did you move to NC? Was wondering what area you decided to go with!

My husband and I moved to a beautiful little community just south of Asheville in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

If you're interested in knowing about the place, I would be happy to share more details!

You may email me at: tkhk3746@msn.com

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:26 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,455,717 times
dont know if you have decided yet, but i was wondering if you plan to live with your parents or just near them?
consider Mebane. there is a subdivision called Ashbury, its about 15 minutes from Duke. the subdivision is split and had apartments, single homes and also town homes and condos for people over 55.
its a small cute town with a lot to offer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina