Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 02:24 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,802,855 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if anyone had any info on how the City of Goldsboro is doing. I was stationed there when I was in the US Air Force, and I found it to be a nice, quaint, laid back and fun little city. I'm not looking to relocate or anything, I'm just wondering if it's still going strong. Thanks, Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 02:39 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
I actually don't know. I know it definitely has some run down areas. I have been through there, and it seemed a little dead, but you can't get the true feeling of a place by just driving through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
I was just wondering if anyone had any info on how the City of Goldsboro is doing. I was stationed there when I was in the US Air Force, and I found it to be a nice, quaint, laid back and fun little city. I'm not looking to relocate or anything, I'm just wondering if it's still going strong. Thanks, Peace

Old 08-15-2008, 03:10 PM

I actually got that first impression when I had to move there, but it ended up being a nice little city.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:37 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
I do know this. I go to a website that sells old homes, and there are a ton of them in goldsboro for sale that are totally run down. they need to be gutted and all that, but they are offering all kinds of incentives for people who do this. I am viewing this as a good thing. it seems that they are trying hard to restore some of the more run down areas, so ultimately, it could be a really good thing for the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdogmaster View Post
I actually got that first impression when I had to move there, but it ended up being a nice little city.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:43 PM

8 posts, read 27,219 times
Depending on how long ago you were stationed there, you may not recognize it anymore! IMO, Goldsboro still has the quaint feeling but it has grown by leaps and bounds. Downtown is being revitalized and there are some great restaurants down there now! The base is growing a bit, too. New housing and such has gone in for the past several years!

Old 09-15-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebbaT View Post
Depending on how long ago you were stationed there, you may not recognize it anymore! IMO, Goldsboro still has the quaint feeling but it has grown by leaps and bounds. Downtown is being revitalized and there are some great restaurants down there now! The base is growing a bit, too. New housing and such has gone in for the past several years!

Thanks. I was there from 99 to 01. When I was stationed there the first phase of the new base housing was just being started

Old 09-17-2008, 03:27 PM

42 posts, read 183,141 times
they're still working on base housing. it's taking forever. They've also changed the base quite a bit. DH was stationed there from 87-95. We moved back to the area in June because I'm from La Grange and DH retired.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:58 PM

80 posts, read 367,527 times
Whoever calls G-boro a "Quaint" town has to be out of their mind. I moved there in the beginning of '08 and hated the place. Rude people, rednecks, and very limited mindset of the people in the town. The crime rate seems to have shot through the roof and in the time I was there I saw three drug busts, cannot tell you how many time I saw flocks of Cops and SP surrounding buildings. I've seen the drug dealers in the city park standing around in the rain. I've been down slaughter and George street where the hookers and dealers hang at night. Not long after I moved to the town I was in the parking lot of the Berkly "mall" trying to get a signal on my wireless around 11:30 at night when I spotted a dude walking around from car to car pushing on windows and trying to unlock doors.

I cannot tell you the countless times I've encountered rude people, most of them being snobby "Goldsboroians". It seems like Goldsboro has two classes, the dirt poor and the rich. Which seems to be scattered all about town. If I had been living on base I could have survived it better. Thumps up for the base, thumbs down for the town.

The day I packed up my stuff was one of the happiest days of my life.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:13 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,212 times
I've got a great house for sale there outside of town. It has been for sale since may with no offers. The housing market is deader than dead there.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:10 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,473 times
I live 17 miles from the place and you couldn't pay me to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina