Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 09:34 PM

8 posts, read 24,098 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, my name is Kyle I was born and raised in Maine and really have never known different (outside of a brief 2 years in the Boston area). After discovering my Bachelor’s Degree in Sports Management doesn’t necessarily open many doors to a multitude of job opportunities around here I have decided it is time for a change and theres no better way of making that happen then by packing up and moving. I am tired of the rigorous winters here in New England and I have heard so many great things about both North and South Carolina from friends and family who have lived there I figured there would be no better place to go. That being said I’m not 100% sure where in North or South Carolina would be best for me. I am thinking (although somewhat blindly) that Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham would be amongst the first areas in North Carolina I should look into. I am currently 23, ideally would like to find a job that would be related to my degree in sports although I understand those types of positions are few and far between almost regardless of where you are, so I would be willing to do something else (preferably not fast food haha) to pay the bills and what not until I got myself settled. I am not heavy into the bar scene but I do enjoy going out and being active, I go to the gym regularly, enjoy going out to see live music, etc.

With that being said can anyone tell me what the Raleigh-Durham area might be like for a guy like me? What kind of job I might find? What kind of things there are to do? What the best way to find an apartment would be (craigslist)? I am hoping to make a trip down in the next few weeks or so to try and get a feel for things first hand I was just hoping to get some inside views prior to actually going down so I may know what to expect.

Anything and everything you might have to say would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 06:05 AM

90 posts, read 237,176 times
I would think that with all the schools and colleges in the Raleigh/Durham area, you should be able to find a job in the athletic department fairly easily.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:30 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungHD View Post
I would think that with all the schools and colleges in the Raleigh/Durham area, you should be able to find a job in the athletic department fairly easily.
I wouldn't be so certain about that. A New York friend of mine who worked in the athletic management industry decided to change jobs and did a nationwide search, ending up taking a position outside Cleveland. Not her first choice for where to move. But she was single, and the career took precedence at this stage in her life. It's not as easy as just picking a city and getting a job there, particularly when your sought-after job fits in such a narrow category. If you're hell-bent on moving out of frigidville, I'd do a broader search throughout the south, and then if you get multiple offers, pick the combination of job & city you like best.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:52 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
I agree with geoff. Find the job first and move where it takes you - be that the Carolinas or elsewhere. Embrace the freedom and flexibility of your life right now & focus on developing your career. Good luck!

Old 08-16-2008, 12:28 PM

152 posts, read 541,890 times
Maine is so beautiful. We've spent time there and have always enjoyed it, but have never been there in the winter. Depending on where you live in Maine it will be huge climate change for you, both winters & summers. I grew up in the northern midwest and it is a HUGE difference living here.

Regardless, I concur with the previous posters. I think having employment and financial stability is going to make your first permanent venture from "home" more positive and help you to feel more settled. This is JMHO. I'm thinking of a recent thread in which "transplants" to this area are having a hard time settling in. Many, IMHO, seemed to be having trouble finding a job and a few moved without having jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina