Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 07:38 PM

6 posts, read 11,692 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm from Chicago, love the city life Chicago, New York but HATE the cold and traffic. Love the beaches of Cali again TRAFFIC and way to expensive. My soon to be ex moved us to Fort Bragg about 5 yrs ago and it has really grown on me; but I still miss the city. I like Raleigh, love Cary, Charlotte is ok not my favorite. None of those are even a little close to the beach. Wilmington is close to beach but not really metro. I am pregnant and 25 so I'm looking for good schools, things to do a bit of the city life near water. I like running on the beach, concerts, music, culture, good food, being out past 10pm and of course nice stores. I work from home so the 9-5 thing is not a concern. If anyone knows where I can find all that I'm looking for please respond. NC and SC are just choices but I'm open to other places. Thanx Feel free to reply via email also...simoneppl@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 07:48 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Charleston is your best bet since it's larger than Wilmington and has more amenities, but Wilmington wouldn't be a bad choice.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:04 PM

57 posts, read 274,470 times
I travel around North and South Carolina. Moved to Wilmington from NY.
In my opinion North Carolina was enough of a culture shock to handle at one time. South Carolina rural areas are like "time stood still" and bypassed them!

Old 08-21-2008, 08:12 PM

The OP is looking for a city, not rural areas, so I don't see how that's relevant. You want to see rural areas where "time stood still," check out the small towns in Appalachia.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:37 PM

Default thanks

thank you both. After much research I think you both are right. But, Wilmington seems to be a better fit for me. However if either of you can think of more locations anywhere with all or close to all that I am looking for your suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:02 PM

It's interesting that you'd chose Wilmington over Charleston when you said you were in search of "concerts, music, culture, good food, being out past 10pm and of course nice stores." Charleston has all of those in abundance. Not saying that Wilmington doesn't have anything to offer when it comes to those things, but not nearly as much as Charleston.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:01 PM

but how far is the beach? Also is it like Myrtle Beach because I really didnt care for that area at all. Don't get me wrong it ok to visit for a day or two but don't think I'd be happy living there. If Charleston is different and near a body of water I will definitely go check it out!!! Again Thanks for the quick reply

Last edited by sim183; 08-23-2008 at 09:09 PM..

Old 08-23-2008, 10:07 PM

Charleston is a coastal city and is quite different from Myrtle Beach. It's quite known, even internationally, for its history, architecture, cuisine, and cultural amenities.

Charleston Area Convention & Visitors Bureau - Charleston, SC | Charleston Tourism, Media, Tours, Meetings, Wedding, and Travel Council Info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina