Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2007, 07:42 PM
dde

1 posts, read 2,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylenay View Post
I am Cuban and since the people here in NC are not familiar with hardly any other hispanics, and we don't look Mexican, we are mostly confused with being Italian. We think it's kind of fun!! I love it here in NC, maybe we'll open a Cuban Restaurant and expose the locals to Cuban culture (much more different than the Mexican!
Do you know anyone that needs more land in Alleghany co.
About 60 acres
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 5,287 times
I am Cuban and llive in the Wilmington Area. Originally from Miami through Hudson County NJ. A little Cuban place just opened in town. "Juagiros" I think I missed spelled it. Its a little home style place with about 6 tables- but its good and the only game in town. Miami is the best place for real Cuban food- or Tampa. If you can cook- there are some good websites to get Cuban groceries and cook books. By the way- there are other Cubans and central-south Americans in NC. You just have look a bit harder to find them.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:00 AM

2 posts, read 5,287 times
[quote=BrianH1970;707894]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi1 View Post

If you're a tourist that's one thing. If you're living here permanently, speak English. It doesn't get any simpler than that. I would expect myself to learn another country's language if I had decided to move overseas. So many people on this board talk about moving from some other state to NC and talk about "blending in", "do as they do in the south", anything having to do with conforming. The same should go for languages. If you're living here permanently it should be a requirement regardless of that person's situation.
I always find this way of thinking amusing. I am an american born son of Cubans. I agree that learning the english- as my parents did- accents and all- is important in order to communicate and assimilate- ( to a point) in there new home. Yes the USA is their home. My father served in the Army- accent and all. However- I also believe that if you visit China Town in NY or LIttle Havana in Miami- you better be ready to hear Chinese or Spanish. And similarly- if you happen to be walking in your NC town and walk upon 2 Cubans speaking spanish or hear them behind you in line at the post office- don't worry- there not talking about you. Its one thing to expect someone to speak english when dealing with you- but don't expect that peaople will stop speaking their own language just becuase they move here- or are born here and still want to keep their culture and heritage. Isn't that the "southern" way- keeping tradition and culture alive? I love NC and love all the many friends I have made- and there is nothing better then walking in town and saying "HEY"... or in some far too few instances... "hola".

Old 07-02-2007, 10:03 PM

25 posts, read 81,258 times
"Yo soy Boriqua People paque tu lo sepas"
The only stores that sell our foods is compare foods and its not a good selection. I have had to change my diet... No fresh fish either.
I go to NY every other month and get my platanos bacalo etc....
The closest I can get to our food is by eating Jamaican foods. Its pretty good. For Thanksgiving and Christmas I go Back to NY and get my items
for coquito and pasteles.. I dont care where I am at I will not let my family loose our tradition....
Best wishes

Old 07-03-2007, 09:30 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
[quote=garcito;982632]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post

I always find this way of thinking amusing. I am an american born son of Cubans. I agree that learning the english- as my parents did- accents and all- is important in order to communicate and assimilate- ( to a point) in there new home. Yes the USA is their home. My father served in the Army- accent and all. However- I also believe that if you visit China Town in NY or LIttle Havana in Miami- you better be ready to hear Chinese or Spanish. And similarly- if you happen to be walking in your NC town and walk upon 2 Cubans speaking spanish or hear them behind you in line at the post office- don't worry- there not talking about you. Its one thing to expect someone to speak english when dealing with you- but don't expect that peaople will stop speaking their own language just becuase they move here- or are born here and still want to keep their culture and heritage. Isn't that the "southern" way- keeping tradition and culture alive? I love NC and love all the many friends I have made- and there is nothing better then walking in town and saying "HEY"... or in some far too few instances... "hola".

I'm married to a Cuba born Cuban and they were talking about me in Spanish until I learned most of the Language. Have you been to stores in Jersey? The Cubans will although they speak English will not talk to you in English while doing business. I spent a lot of time in the Cuban world. My husband and I go round and round on this I know it's a cultural thing. I just find it different than my Italian relatives.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:04 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayla007 View Post
I hate commenting on any race issues however there are afro latinos

Afro-Latin American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

African immigration to Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Black Mexico Homepage

I have many more websites

There is also a racial divide among Latinos. Hispanic is an American term. As no one from any race wants to be associated with black in any form. I have heard the "there is no black/African connection to Spanish/ Latin America" time and time again but this is not correct. I digress thanks for listening
Thanks for pointing this out. I am a Black Latina. I have relatives who would prefer to think as you indicated but, as you have accurately pointed out, there is a correlation/connection between Africa and Latin America.

I don't like the term Hispanic at all but of course, it wouldn't be accurate anyway. Heard a comedienne once, for the life of me I cannot recall who, who joked about not wanting to be referred to in any term related to the word "panic" (as in "Hispanic").

You've touched on a subject I've had to speak on many times in the past. Hope no one minds this post, as no offense is intended.

If you pass me on the street, you'd assume I was "Black" and you'd be correct. If you heard me talking to mi abuelita, you'd know a little bit more about my story. People seem to think the term Hispanic is a racial designation, and well, it isn't. To be Hispanic, or Latino, is a culture. It's a shared language, music, religion, etc. It doesn't indicate whether someone is Black, White or somewhere in between (as are my children).

To complicate matters more, Hispanic more accurately describes people who are mostly White from the Iberian Peninsula, including Spain and Portugal. Whereas Latino would describe brown indigenous people of the Americas (Mexico, PR, CA & SA, etc.). But if I'm not mistaken, Hispanic became widely used and everyone got lumped together when it was added as a Census designation sometime in the 70s and before you knew it, all kinds of government entities adopted the terminology. I know many people don't like the terms to be used interchangably (as they often are) but I, for one, answer to many descriptions, as long as its respectful.

But just remember, all of us don't look like Ricky Martin or J-Lo. Some of us actually look closer to Celia Cruz or Sammy Sosa.

Sara

Old 07-04-2007, 10:56 AM

41 posts, read 235,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Most Europeans didn't learn any native dialect when they invaded N. America, why should we expect anyone else to do the same? As a reminder, we have no official language in this country.
Word, word, word, a thousand times word!! Many people seem to believe that the US has an official language, and that it is English. Both points are untrue. And those who founded the US were illegal immigrants who refused to speak the native language. Somehow that is always forgotten.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:07 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abejita View Post
Word, word, word, a thousand times word!! Many people seem to believe that the US has an official language, and that it is English. Both points are untrue. And those who founded the US were illegal immigrants who refused to speak the native language. Somehow that is always forgotten.
I thought we had an official language doesn't our govenment do business in one language? Back to the Native American argument you are right now it's happening to America once again. I told my kids they need to learn Spanish.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,150 times
I'm Cuban and I moved here with my husband, 2 children, and his parents last year (Pleasant Garden, we work in Greensboro). This year my brother and his wife (also Cuban) and her parents also moved to the area. We've met lots of hispanics: Dominican (there's a dominican store that sells lots of products that Cubans use as well) called Compare Supermarket on Summit Rd. and one in Winston-Salem. I have also met people here from Nicaragua, Colombia,Costa Rica,Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Equador, an others.

I too have been looking for a real Cuban restaurant and the few lame attempts have really left us disheartened. Since we have a great cook w/us (my mother in law) I guess our standards for real cuban food are set too high.

I noticed that in Houston, a group of Cubans started something called Casa Cuba, a Cuban Cultural Center, if there isn't one here in Greensboro, I would love to see one get started.

Elena Alvarez in Pleasant Garden and Greensboro

Old 07-05-2007, 08:08 AM

2 posts, read 5,150 times
you are absolutely right. For Cubans a person is either white, black or somewhere in between (like una mulata).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina