Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:42 PM

22 posts, read 90,966 times

Advertisements

I`m glad that there are many hispanic people in NC, specially in Asheville. Hope I can find good latin restaurants (not only mexican) and also latin nightclubs!!! love to dance salsa!!!

Unfortunately I have to wait a full year to move out there, and I guess that in a year the rentals, and everything it`s gonna be more expensive! so sad that can move out right away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 02:33 PM

8 posts, read 67,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayla007 View Post
Ohhh, by the way, does anyone know a club or place to dance salsa or where caribbean rhythms are played?

Where are you located?
I currently live in Cary. Do you know any place?

Old 04-02-2007, 03:37 PM

644 posts, read 3,320,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylenay View Post
I am Cuban and since the people here in NC are not familiar with hardly any other hispanics, and we don't look Mexican, we are mostly confused with being Italian. We think it's kind of fun!! I love it here in NC, maybe we'll open a Cuban Restaurant and expose the locals to Cuban culture (much more different than the Mexican!
A Cuban restaurant is a great idea! I was reading another thread where people were talking about a dearth of ethnic restaurants in the triangle area.

Artie

Old 04-02-2007, 04:57 PM

222 posts, read 690,983 times
Default Cary

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroeh View Post
I currently live in Cary. Do you know any place?
North Raleigh may have some places, possibly Durham however Cary, and Raleigh
as a whole doesn't have much. I will keep checking for you though

Old 04-11-2007, 01:18 PM

41 posts, read 235,136 times
My husband is Dominican. There are lots of Hispanics in Charlotte, from all over-- not just Mexico. But people here seem to think that Mexico is the only country where people speak Spanish. We moved here from NYC almost three years ago, and there is a lot more diversity here than we expected.

Sadly, though, there is also a lot more racism here than we expected, or have ever experienced. I never used to hear talk about "illegals" or "you're in America; speak English" or all that stuff till I moved here. The ignorance and hatefulness is astounding.

Oh well, sooner or later this place will move into the 21st century. Or at least the second half of the 20th.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:52 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abejita View Post
My husband is Dominican. There are lots of Hispanics in Charlotte, from all over-- not just Mexico. But people here seem to think that Mexico is the only country where people speak Spanish. We moved here from NYC almost three years ago, and there is a lot more diversity here than we expected.

Sadly, though, there is also a lot more racism here than we expected, or have ever experienced. I never used to hear talk about "illegals" or "you're in America; speak English" or all that stuff till I moved here. The ignorance and hatefulness is astounding.

Oh well, sooner or later this place will move into the 21st century. Or at least the second half of the 20th.

Unfortunately it appears we cannot have a thread about this subject without someone bringing charges of racism into it.

I dont think its too much to ask of anyone to have people speak English in America, Spanish in Spain, German in Germany, Russian in Russia, etc..

Or the fact that people are in this country illegally (sorry but predominantly of hispanic descent) and you dont want them referred to as 'illegal', when that is the choice they made by entering ILLEGALLY into the U.S.
I absolutely refuse to get into another debate on this forum about this subject though.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:32 PM

8 posts, read 28,098 times
Default Other Hispanics

In a visit I made to Selma, I found a lot of people from Honduras.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:35 PM

8 posts, read 28,098 times
Default Other Hispanics in N Carolina

Ah !! I dont assume, because we are Hispanic- Latinos living in the U.S.A, we are all un-documented or illegal.

Please note, that there are a lot of Latin Americans (and much of them from South America) that have higher education.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:36 PM

23 posts, read 56,818 times
Default Don't Assume

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I'm assuming you're asking about illegal Hispanics. All the data I've seen indicates they are mostly of Mexican origin with a much smaller percentage from Central and South America.

In my opinion, Hispanics tend to be divided into three groups, those of African, Indian or Western European ancestral lineage. About the only common denominator among the three is the Spanish language.
Why would you assume that they are speaking of illegal Hispanics? What does that have to do with anything?

Old 04-11-2007, 05:38 PM

23 posts, read 56,818 times
Default Amen

AMEN to that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina