Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 01:39 PM

460 posts, read 1,274,291 times

Advertisements

Beach. I LOVE the Outer Banks. Been going since I was kid...lived there for a summer waiting tables...and hope to retire there some day (sooner rather than later)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 01:40 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Beach, mountains, city. That's my order. I like to visit the beach and mountains. The beach seems to be more happening and the mountains are more laid back. The city is for everyday convenience. When I go to the mountains, I like to camp, go tubing, hiking, anything in the wilderness. At the beach, I love to lay on the beach, listen to the waves, go swimming, and visit the quaint shops and restaurants. That's why everyone is so lucky to live in the triangle area b/c you get a litlle piece of all three worlds. That's my 2 cents!

Old 08-27-2008, 01:49 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,861,667 times
Finally some beach lovers. I like the beach for day trips, but not long term vacations, the big bugs are just too unbearable and well let's face it: it's just sand, sun and water. But I can see why people love it.

My inlaws are coming from Germany in October. We may do a long weekend at the Outer Banks (I haven't been yet). But definitely will hit the mountains as well. Mrs. Steel, funny you should ask where I've been. I haven't really been out much. We did go to a cute B&B somewhere along the Blue Ridge Parkway. We made it to Boone, but that's about it. Now that the little one can tolerate longer car trips, I'd like to do some camping and some outdoor exploring. Thanks for all the great links and suggestions. I will be checking them out.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:09 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Sandycat, I feel the same way. The beach is great for a day or two, but I tire of it quickly (and I burn quickly, too!). Next month my family is coming for a visit & we're all going to head west towards the mountains for a few days. We plan on checking out as many waterfalls as possible. Should be fun!

Old 08-27-2008, 03:47 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Bear Den Campground (if still in business) was my kids favorite.
Not too far from Boone and Tweetsie , has great little barebones
cabins that are priced alot like campsites, and has great short hikes
from the campground. It's near little Switzerland but I'll find a link.

Here is the link
www.bear-den.com

It is in Spruce Pine, NC

Old 08-27-2008, 04:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Sandycat, I feel the same way. The beach is great for a day or two, but I tire of it quickly (and I burn quickly, too!). Next month my family is coming for a visit & we're all going to head west towards the mountains for a few days. We plan on checking out as many waterfalls as possible. Should be fun!
I want to go to mountains so bad this weekend due to this past rain storm.
The water falls and whitewater should be looking great this weekend

Here a cool site someone did on North Carolina waterfalls the ones that you have to hike to see seem to be the best ones.
North Carolina Waterfalls Photo Gallery by Rich Stevenson at pbase.com

Old 08-27-2008, 05:15 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,840 times
All 3, but agree, Raleigh is far from a big city, but Charlotte was very nice. I feel more at home in Chapel Hill and even that is not a big city, but love it and my goal is too eventually live there full-time permanently...

I have been to Nags Head, Cape Hatteras, Wilmington, Emerald Isle, to name a few, loved loved all of them...Wrightsville Beach was really nice....Mountains are great too, I have been to Asheville, very nice, Looking Glass Rock, Cold Mountain, drove the Blue Ridge Parkway and stopped at many of the overlooks...we had a great time...boyfriend and I are headed to Biltmore this weekend, we have a wedding to attend there, I am anxious to see Biltmore, so should be fun, fun, fun...We will go back to Asheville again in October, like we did last year, all the Fall colors were Amazing! I am thankful for living in this area, you have the beaches in one direction and the mountains in another. There is so much to do in NC!

Old 08-27-2008, 05:42 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I want to go to mountains so bad this weekend due to this past rain storm.
The water falls and whitewater should be looking great this weekend

Here a cool site someone did on North Carolina waterfalls the ones that you have to hike to see seem to be the best ones.
North Carolina Waterfalls Photo Gallery by Rich Stevenson at pbase.com
Thanks for another great link, SunnyKayak! Unfortunately, I still have to wait a couple of weeks before my trip to the mountains, but I hope the area gets a healthy dose of rain in the meanwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina