Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 12:08 PM

9 posts, read 37,728 times

Advertisements

I've read all of threads on both forums, but most seem to focus on crime and school systems. Having visited neither place before, I'd like to hear some pros and cons on both cities in NC from a singleton viewpoint. I currently reside in the DC area, but am looking for a change. I picked North Carolina b/c I've heard such great things about the state and cities. I am looking for a lively nightlife, good restaurants and of course, well-educated 30 something single men! Also, I can transfer with my company, so a job is not part of the equation.

Important to me: Lively nightlife with 30 somethings (not 20's), professionals, restaurants, friendly atmosphere
Not interested in school systems or crime

Thanks!

Last edited by smashle; 09-01-2008 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 12:13 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashle View Post
I'm trying to make a decision as to what city I should live in. Having visited neither place before, I'd like to hear some pros and cons on both cities in NC. I currently reside in the DC area, but am looking for a change. I picked North Carolina b/c I've heard such great things about the state and cities. I am looking for a lively nightlife, good restaurants and of course, well-educated 30 something single men!

Thanks!
This question come up a lot. Charlotte and Raleigh are both great places IMHO. To me, it would all come down to where you land the best job and have the best future opportunities. I would definitely visit both places to get a first-hand feel for them too.

Sunnykayak has compiled a great list of other posts asking the same or similar questions. I would check them out too:

Old 09-01-2008, 03:21 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashle View Post
I've read all of threads on both forums, but most seem to focus on crime and school systems. Having visited neither place before, I'd like to hear some pros and cons on both cities in NC from a singleton viewpoint. I currently reside in the DC area, but am looking for a change. I picked North Carolina b/c I've heard such great things about the state and cities. I am looking for a lively nightlife, good restaurants and of course, well-educated 30 something single men! Also, I can transfer with my company, so a job is not part of the equation.

Important to me: Lively nightlife with 30 somethings (not 20's), professionals, restaurants, friendly atmosphere
Not interested in school systems or crime

Thanks!
I'm a well-educated early 30s yr old guy who moved here a year and a half ago. From my perspective, while there are plenty of restaurants and some nightlife, I find that as a guy that there it's harder to meet "available" women within the age range that I would feel comfortable dating. What you'll notice here and in Charlotte is that you'll see alot of attached folks, meaning that they're either married or dating. That's one of the first things you'll notice. And that's to be expected as you can see by this forum, folks moving to NC for the most part are families looking to escape the high cost of living where they currently reside.

I lucked-up and meet my ex but you'll have to find things to do that interest you and then hope that there are single 30 something guys that do those same activities. Having lived in cities where all you have to do is step outside of door and there's plenty of available women, dating here is certainly a different and somewhat challenging experience.

But your experience maybe different. I can tell you that if you smile (not a fake one), look a guy directly in his eyes and say "Hi", it'll go a long way.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:34 PM

550 posts, read 1,486,668 times
Hmm, I would say neither. To find a plethora of single 30 something men, you need to move to a big city. I've had coworkers tell me that they think there's something "wrong" with a guy if he's not married by 35. I disagree, but that's probably because I lived in Boston, LA, and Silicon Valley in the ten years before I moved here, and getting married at ~40 was not out of the ordinary in any of those places.

But, here I am, single and 32. Okay, I'm not as single as I could be (I have a 24-y/o live-in boyfriend), but I was at one time. True, there are less single thirtysomething men here, but they are here, and they're both friendlier and higher quality (on average) than the men I was meeting in LA.

FWIW, I have a friend in her late 30s who moved here from DC. She finds the dating scene here much better than there. In her opinion, the men there were so outnumbered by single women that they didn't even try. She did note, however, that she now dates a lot more divorced men, men with kids, and younger men than she did in DC.

In terms of meeting single thirtysomething men, I don't think Charlotte is much different than Raleigh. But I was much younger when I lived in Charlotte, and I wasn't there for very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina