Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:46 PM

512 posts, read 1,636,092 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I just wanted to ask a question. A little background first. I grew up in D.C. and spent a lot of summers in Fayetteville. My wife has the option of moving to Fayetteville because of Brac. I personally don't have a problem with the city it's slow paced the people are friendly and the houses are cheap. With that said. Why do a lot of people really dislike Fayetteville. Believe me I know it's not a lot to do in the city. I would constantly run up to Raleigh to get my "city life" fix. What seems to be the problem? Do you ever think Fayetteville will ever shake the negative image? Crime is really not as bad as you would think. I came from a city where in the late 80 to early 90's we averaged 400+ murder's a year. So the Fayetteville's crime doesn't really bother me. What would it take for the city to turn around. Could it possibly be a marquee city of North Carolina much like Charlotte and Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 08:04 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,212 times
It is not cool to like Fayetteville. Lots of miilitary folks are sent here against thier will and decide to hate it. I did four years at Pope AFB and did not think alot about it until I was sent to Seymour Johnson AFB in Goldsboro. Fayetteville is a 100 times better than Goldsboro. That is why I moved back to Fayetteville after I retired this year. plus we have many friends here. I think that makes all the differance.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:07 PM

983 posts, read 3,987,981 times
The revitalization of downtown has brought a nice "nightlife" to Hay Street...you'd be pleasantly surprised. And there are always concerts at Methodist College, Fayetteville State, and plenty of other activities to keep you busy.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:13 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,212 times
That is very true. I was shocked at how much downtown has progressed since I left two years ago. There is an active nightlife scene there and soon to be some very nice condos too.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:08 PM

512 posts, read 1,636,092 times
I was shocked as well i was there in May for three days visiting family and the city is expanding and downtown they really are trying to change. Still needs a lot of work, but some progress is better than no progress. One thing I can say is that the cops were visable. Something I'm not use to up in P.G. county MD. But then that is an outsider looking in.What is it that keeps you all in Fayetteville?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
What is it that keeps you all in Fayetteville?
While I don't live IN Fayetteville, I've lived in the area all of my life and to "go to town" is to go to Fayetteville. It's home. We lived in Raleigh for 1 year when I was little, and I went to Peace College....and I wouldn't live in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, or Greensboro for anything. I've travled all over the state, and I'm happy to stay right where I am.

Fayetteville has plenty to offer--if you look for it. It's advertised in the newspapers, internet, and around-and-about town. It's NOT the old Fayetteville of the "Fayette-nam" era.

We have a BEAUTIFUL museum downtown (the Airborne Museum), and the Museum of the Cape Fear. There's an Art Museum. The Arts Council is very active. Downtown is revitalized and booming.....and they always have special events going on.

Lots of new retail---the national chains' best stores are in Fayetteville (Cold Stone Creamery was #2 in the nation, only behind the Times Square Strore)!! And lots of specialty boutiques.

And once you get used to the same road having 3 or 4 names (Country Club becomes Pamalee then Skibo, for example), it's MUCH easier to navigate around town!

Old 09-06-2008, 11:25 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
While I don't live IN Fayetteville, I've lived in the area all of my life and to "go to town" is to go to Fayetteville. It's home. We lived in Raleigh for 1 year when I was little, and I went to Peace College....and I wouldn't live in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, or Greensboro for anything. I've travled all over the state, and I'm happy to stay right where I am.

Fayetteville has plenty to offer--if you look for it. It's advertised in the newspapers, internet, and around-and-about town. It's NOT the old Fayetteville of the "Fayette-nam" era.

We have a BEAUTIFUL museum downtown (the Airborne Museum), and the Museum of the Cape Fear. There's an Art Museum. The Arts Council is very active. Downtown is revitalized and booming.....and they always have special events going on.

Lots of new retail---the national chains' best stores are in Fayetteville (Cold Stone Creamery was #2 in the nation, only behind the Times Square Strore)!! And lots of specialty boutiques.

And once you get used to the same road having 3 or 4 names (Country Club becomes Pamalee then Skibo, for example), it's MUCH easier to navigate around town!
I do some work in Fayetteville, I'm sorry this place is depressing... Most of the clients I deal with aren't from the place a loathe it something serious. Everytime I travel there I feel a gray regressive cloud floating over. Fayetteville is what it is a decent temporary place for military personell. Nothing more, nothing less. So far as the real cities you named in your list... Don't hate.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:32 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
I think the reason why Fayettehell is disliked is because it's overcrowded, too much traffic, too much road rage, high property taxes, too many negative racist people, there's no nice attractions, it's said to be the hottest and most unpleasant weather environment in all of NC, etc.

And yes most of the people who express their discontent are military who have seen better and have lived better. Most of those who bash those expressing their discontent are natives who have never left town.

The crime might not be as high as where you are but then again the law enforcement in this town doesn't put your frantic call of a burglar in your house as top priority either, and they might come to your door 3 hours later after said burglar steals half your stuff. And there's not much you can do about it. If you need the cops any faster you have to mention "homicide".

Do I think the town will shake it's image? No. They tried doing this by getting rid of all the junk that used to line up along Hay st. but really all they did was send them on over to Bragg blvd.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:27 PM

20 posts, read 105,023 times
Honest to God, the one thing that'll make Fayetteville turn around totally is if the city got some kind of real industry with real jobs. I'm starting to understand what my dad meant when he told me that old money ran the city now that I haven't lived there for a few years.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingnahurry View Post
Honest to God, the one thing that'll make Fayetteville turn around totally is if the city got some kind of real industry with real jobs. I'm starting to understand what my dad meant when he told me that old money ran the city now that I haven't lived there for a few years.

That used to exist there...then all the jobs went south (Mexico) and to China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina