Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 AM

3 posts, read 17,587 times

Advertisements

We are PCSing to Fort Bragg in late Nov/early Dec time frame. We are homeschoolers, so schools districts are not a primary concern. I have a question about Spring Lake. I know there are some higher crime areas in Spring Lake, but are there any good areas besides Anderson Creek? I'm specifically wondering about the new homes that are being built in northern Spring Lake in Overhills Creek (about 20 min. from post?). Does anyone have any opinions/thoughts on this area? Thanks, in advance, for taking the time to provide any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 08:45 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,615 times
There a many nice subdivisions on the north side of town. All along NC87 up towards Sanford. You just have to decide if you like the commute and being out in the country.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:18 PM

27 posts, read 118,267 times
Default Spring Lake

There are a few neighborhoods past Spring Lake and before Sanford. I live out that way and it is easier to get on post and the traffic is easier. The further out the more you get for your money.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:03 PM

635 posts, read 3,092,838 times
We've got a lot of military folks in Sanford, and I really think Sanford has a lot of opportunities for families that make it advantageous as well. So perhaps that is an area you might want to consider.

We are nearly equidistant from Greensboro, Raleigh/Durham/Cary, and Fayetteville, and have seen a great deal of investment over the last few years that is really improving the city. I feel like we are close enough to the major cities to take advantage of them, while just being far enough away to maintain "smart growth" versus sprawl and retain that small town feel.

The drive is about 30 minutes, but coming from many metro areas, that is a very reasonable commute for many people. Your own experience and opinion may vary of course though.

You'll get a lot for your money here, and with all the new investment in the area, especially revitalizing the historic downtown, I think now is really a good time to get in early on Sanford's future.

If you get a chance, check out Sanford and see what you think. As I mentioned, a lot of folks from Ft. Bragg have chosen this area, many in our neighborhood.

Cheers, and good luck!
Al

Old 09-04-2008, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 17,587 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. It seems many people enjoy the Sanford area, so I think I'm going to check it out as a possible option. I really appreciate the information.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:13 AM

635 posts, read 3,092,838 times
Sounds good, do a "Google" on Sanford for more info.

Some useful links with information about Sanford:

City of Sanford, North Carolina - The Official Government Website
Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce
Downtown Sanford, INC. | Sanford, North Carolina

THE SANFORD HERALD
Welcome to the Lee County 2nd Century Project

Sanford, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-07-2008, 01:36 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
I used to live in Deerfield subdivision in Spring Lake. It's the last stop light on 87 going north (Kangaroo/big oven gravel pit across the street, Assembly of God church in corner) and it was a nice place. It's mostly older retired folks living there. In fact the house I rented might actually be up for sale. It's on Wapiti.

Just don't live anywhere behind Carlies IGA or behind Taco Bell. Those two places in the lake are the ghetto.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:01 AM

1 posts, read 5,611 times
I have live in Spring Lake over 30 years. It is a very small town with little to do, but definitely has less crime then what I have read posted above. The town had a population of approx 8200 and it has just increase to over 12,000 with the annexation of Pope AFB within the last week. How much crime can a town that small have? Another fact to take into account, most of the crimes committed are by soldiers and their dependents. I have enough since to know that doesn't mean stay away from Fort Bragg. Fayetteville, Sanford, and Southern Pines have a lot more crime than Spring Lake will ever have. Oh, don't let me forget to mention California has crime too. For every glass half empty it is half full for others.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:04 PM

83 posts, read 276,439 times
Live a few miles out in the country. It's nice and the commute is reasonable.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:49 PM

12 posts, read 52,258 times
Smile Moving to Ft. Bragg....where shd I buy?

I'm transfering to Ft. Bragg/Pope AFB and am looking for a house to buy. I'm moving from the Washington DC area and enjoy the perks of living in the city. What city is great for commuting to Bragg and Raleigh/Wake Forest? I don't mind the drive since I'm use to being stuck in traffic; the most i'm looking for is 30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina