Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 07:53 AM

18 posts, read 74,771 times

Advertisements

I've had my morning laugh now... and without reading through all of the pages of posts on this topic, I'll pass along another saying that is used to describe one who's quite intoxicated: "High as a Georgia pine".

Then - in response to "how are you?" - you may hear "fine as frog hair split three ways".

I'm orginally from Halifax County, NC, and heard these sayings back home.

Keep this going... laughing is good for the heart and soul!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 06:58 PM

6 posts, read 29,817 times
Just a word to the wise. Your level of ignorance only depends on what part of the country you come from. Folks from NC aren't stupid or "quaint". When it comes down to just plain common sense, they probably have MOST of this great nation at a distinct disadvantage. EVERY region in America has its own way of speaking. I had the priviledge of attending high school in eastern NC, near Greenville. I'll offer a few bits of coastal "slang" that I picked up while living there.

boot = the trunk of your car

foot = the floor of your car

cent = the "s" is dropped, eg., It cost seventy five cent more than I expected.

drink = soda, pop, etc. Does anyone have change for the drink machine?

Cokecola = ANY brand soft drink. What kind of Cokecola do you want?

workin 'bacca = Harvesting tobacco. Many of us "worked 'bacca" as a summer job as kids back in the day.

coc k = female genetalia. Sorry 'bout THAT one, but it's true, at least 30 years ago. Imagine my confusion when my new pals said they were gonna "get some **** this weekend".

fog one = smoke a marijuana cigarette. Wanna go "fog one"?

pig-pickin = a party where a whole pig is barbequed.

dunna = dinner

puncle = pencil

stew = many meanings. Chicken stew is chicken and large, dumpling-like noodles, but darned near ANYTHING can be a stew, noodles or not. Dove stew, quail stew, fish stew, crab stew, deer stew, you name it. If it swims, flies, creeps, or crawls, it can be made into a "stew". Going to a "fish stew" means going to a party where a giant pot of fish stew is served. Brunswick stew is kinda like vegetable soup that's been sneezed in. In Kentucky, we call it "burgoo". You can also "beat the stew" out of someone.

buttah beans = lima beans

stumphole liquor = moonshine

skins = pork rinds

carry = give someone a ride in your car. I "carried" him back to the house.

BTW, "scattered and smothered" is NOT NC slang, it's Waffle House's own description of various ways you can have your hash browns. Look at your menu. It's the same, nation wide. Besides, EVERYONE knows that Carolinians don't eat hash browns with their eggs, they have GRITS!

peace, y'all...

Old 03-20-2008, 07:00 PM

7 posts, read 38,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NANASIX View Post
[What are your favorite NC slang words or phrases???????
Then there was the one that described your "Aunt" as in sister of your mother or father. The word used by everyone down here is "ANT", i.e., Ant Judy, Ant Barbara, etc...it's just there way, and you learn to love it, once you understand what they're saying.
Here in Cary (the containment area for relocated yankees) we're not exposed as much to NC dialect as folks in other parts of the state are, but all of the posts here ring a bell. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, where your mom's sister is your ANT, but I lived in the Northeast for a while, where it's often AHNT. In Albany, NY, where I lived last, you'd get the western NYers saying ANT, and the New Englanders saying AHNT, so it got confusing!

Immersion in a language works! I have caught myself saying "might could" a time or two. Oh, and I am getting sloppy with the turn signals. I think I will retire here!

Old 03-22-2008, 04:17 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,398 times
I like when people see your relatives and they say "you favor your dad" or "she favors you"...instead of you look like so and so. I had never really heard that before til I spoke with real Southern people.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:05 PM

402 posts, read 2,210,773 times
"Boot" as in the trunk of your car is used in Britain.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:09 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,120,376 times
The NC Electric Co-cperative magazine has been collecting NC colloquialisms for several years. The following link will take you to 42 articles dating back to 2004.

You Know You're From North Carolina If... (http://www.carolinacountry.com/StoryPages/yourstories/fromnc/fromnc42.html - broken link)

It's interesting to note that some of the common local saying for one part of the state might mean something totally different in another part.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:21 PM

20 posts, read 105,003 times
Yeah...I don't say or ever have said most of that stuff. However, I do hear my aunts say some of that at times. The only thing I can think of that we say that might be considered slang is "Let me find out". The only time you would say that is if you're gonna make some kinda gross exaggeration. Like "Let me find out you're trying to start a basketball team," meaning when the hell do you plan on not having anymore kids. lol. Thats about it.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:15 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMommy2-4 View Post
Coming from NJ a year ago, my first noticeable encounter with a phrase that has become my favorite is "Bless Your Heart".

We have come to the conclusion that it means "Sucks to be you" if you were in NJ LOL

Linda
In California that would mean "Better you than me"

Old 03-25-2008, 07:57 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,142 times
One of my favorites is "fixin'" as in "I'm fixin' to go to the store" -- preparing to go? My Grandfather would comment that he was "fixin' to burn him a new one" which I took to mean something rather unpleasant.

I often catch myself saying things like "I swannee," a more polite way of saying, "I swear," or if I am pushed beyond my limits, I may complain of feeling "ill as a snake."

Old 03-25-2008, 07:58 PM

283 posts, read 1,291,046 times
Here's a good Geographic name that it took me three tries to understand.
Getting directions I was given them to head towards "Fetvll" It took me a while to discern that what I was hearing was "Fayetteville".

How about :
"He was as drunk as Cooter Brown!"

I like that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina