U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 01:24 PM

284 posts, read 979,187 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just got back a few days ago from our week long stay in NC and SC. We spent the first couple nights down in the Wilmington area and then the rest in Myrtle Beach. First impression of Wilmington was very underwhelming. We drove in and it looked like absolutely nothing to write home about. We took a drive that evening to the downtown area and were very disappointed with what we saw. It wasn't until the next day when we drove around Carolina Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Fort Fisher and down 17th st. that we saw something worth looking at. Of course these areas are more on the expensive end but we thought it might be worth looking into prices if the right job was in this location. It is a growing area for sure, houses and businesses going up all over the place, but it still isn't built up quite to the extent that I would have liked. Still, there are benefits to getting in while the growth is taking place so we are keeping that in mind.

From the moment we drove across the state line into South Carolina we were impressed with the way everything was laid out. Myrtle Beach was gorgeous and exciting with a lot to see and do while still preserving natural beauty in the outlining areas. We drove through many of the suburbs and you really can't take a wrong turn. Every place we drove through impressed us and the state parks were nice too. There is still the consideration of jobs though. Being such a large tourist area I am unsure of how good the job market is out there for office work. I'm sure a lot of people are competing and possibly taking low wages just to move into such a nice area so that is something to keep in mind. I also don't want to take the tourist crowd for granted just because we happened to visit on a slow week. I have been told traffic and crowds are crazy pretty much all Summer but I would guess that the locals just stick to their respective neighborhoods for the most part during the really crazy seasons.

Basically we walked away with a greater understanding of the area and the small towns around so it should help is in making our decision, but honestly I am more confused than ever in some ways. I guess you see the reality of it all and ask yourself where you are willing to compromise and if it's worth uprooting for when you consider things like hurricanes and extreme Summer heat, traffic and crowds. We're still trying to figure it out but thought others might benefit from our experience. We would also love more feedback and information from locals to help us in making our decision. Perhaps we overlooked or misjudged something. After all, it is hard to get a true grasp of everyday life when you're just visiting for a week.

(cross-posted on the SC forum)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2006, 02:01 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,955,257 times
Default myrtle beach, huh?

exciting and pretty? really? myrtle beach??? be careful in myrtle beach and surrounding areas... one of the most dangerous places if you dont know where you are going: (according to website morgan quitno safest/dangerous places):

1-Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, MI
2-Memphis, TN-MS-AR
3-Sumter, SC*****
4-Fairbanks, AK
5-New Orleans, LA
6-Miami-Dade County, FL
7-Myrtle Beach, SC*****
8-Las Vegas-Paradise, NV
9-Victoria, TX
10-Florence, SC*****
11-Stockton, CA
12-Shreveport-Bossier City, LA
13-Pine Bluff, AR
14-Lafayette, LA
15-Jackson, MS
16-Saginaw, MI
17-Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ
18-Tucson, AZ
19-Los Angeles County, CA
20-Baltimore-Towson, MD
21-Albuquerque, NM
22-Vineland, NJ
23-Montgomery, AL
24-Little Rock, AR
25-Charleston-North Charleston, SC*****

ps- i am not sure how close some of the cities are to eachother. tourist areas seem to get a little bit of crime. i hate to see stats about crime, unless there is very little crime.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:11 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,161,868 times
what do you know, my little hometown is #3 on that list.

I'd agree that Myrtle Beach is dangerous. I think it'd be fun to live there for a summer, or maybe a year. But there's no way I'd move there for good. But what most people call "myrtle beach" could be Cherry Grove, North Myrtle, Litchfield Beach, Surfside, Garden City, etc. There are plenty of somewhat smaller beaches on the grand strand that are much nicer.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:34 PM

The only thing that scared me a little about Myrtle Beach was the fact that we came at the end of Biker Week and the beginning of Black Biker Week. Those biker's drive kind of crazy and cut you off without hesitation. I am from the Detroit area (although I live in a nice suburb) which could contribute to the fact that it didn't seem like a huge crime area to me.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:11 PM

167 posts, read 907,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla
exciting and pretty? really? myrtle beach???
I second that... wasn't impressed with MB at all. I wouldn't bother going back there.

Wait...
That's not entirely true. I was impressed by the heat and humidity. It was 95 degrees with about 100% humidity when we were there, and it really reinforced the fact that I don't want to live anywhere near the coast! How miserable!! This was a week ago, so I can't imagine what it's like in July and August.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaf
I second that... wasn't impressed with MB at all. I wouldn't bother going back there.

Wait...
That's not entirely true. I was impressed by the heat and humidity. It was 95 degrees with about 100% humidity when we were there, and it really reinforced the fact that I don't want to live anywhere near the coast! How miserable!! This was a week ago, so I can't imagine what it's like in July and August.

I think you came just as a heat wave came in. We just missed it by a day but to be fair, it was 96 in Michigan too so I think it was pretty hot and humid in many states last week.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:10 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,119,045 times
I really don't care for Myrtle Beach. Way too much development. Too much going on there. Too busy.

I love Wilmington. Especially the area near the waterfront. Where you'd see the Henrietta, the trolley and carriage tours, the old beautiful homes, the Cotton Exchange. Beautiful! But I wouldn't live in the city limits, I don't think.

I don't care for Carolina Beach. Too much going on there. Too many unattractive buildings. Kure Beach is lovely.

Did you check out Southport? I love that place. Laid-back, beautiful, peaceful. Can't wait to go back. Oak Island is nice also. I love it there.

Old 06-03-2006, 04:27 AM

56 posts, read 317,874 times
Post U.S.Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna_house
I think you came just as a heat wave came in. We just missed it by a day but to be fair, it was 96 in Michigan too so I think it was pretty hot and humid in many states last week.

"hanna house", everything you said about Myrtle Beach in your first posting is
true but, you forgot the shopping. Great shopping and 1st class entertainment for everybody. However, when you are comparing Wilmington
to Myrtle Beach you are comparing apples to oranges. Wilmington is a historical city. Myrtle Beach is "we've got it all for the tourist", and they do.
The people in Wilmington often travel to MB. It is a 60 min. direct shot down
the hwy. It is even closer if you live in Brunswick County. The main thing is,
you are able to turn off Myrtle Beach when you want and go back to the slower pace that so many other people are looking for. For alot just knowing that Myrtle Beach is there when you want is enough. If you are looking for a
faster pace, then have fun. Myrtle Beach is fun.

Old 06-03-2006, 07:46 AM

291 posts, read 1,729,842 times
I just got back from Myrtle Beach,Wilmington,and Charleston. Went around with realtors in those areas. Nine months ago I went to the Raleigh area and checked out neiborhoods there. Bottom line is before the trip I was set on living on the coast. Now I am going to buy in the Raleigh area. Much more house for the money. Better neighborhoods. Less crime. More family friendly. The coast is very expensive in comparison and it seems less safe.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:17 AM

787 posts, read 3,481,474 times
My sister just got rid of a Condo at Myrtle Beach. I am not totally sure I know why because she and her husband are kinda flighty in my opinion about wanting something, keeping it a while and then getting rid of it just as fast. But she did say something about she wasn't satisfied with the way the area was building up to use her terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina