Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 11:11 PM

171 posts, read 450,674 times

Advertisements

At the risk of this becoming a political debate (and I really hope it doesn't become one), is "that dog don't hunt" a local Carolina saying or slogan? What exactly does it mean. What are some other sayings out there and what is the story behind them. What are the pearls of wisdom that are commonly expressed in short phrases in North Carolina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 11:20 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,038,954 times
I'm a triangle/NC native and have never heard "that dog don't hunt". Maybe it's a "southern" thing and not an NC thing. Or maybe I just missed it. While we are natives, my family is not very traditionally southern.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:34 PM

214 posts, read 999,333 times
I think it's more of a southern saying, than a Carolina specific saying. I heard it growing up in Georgia. Basically you say it about something that is easily disproved or contested, thus making it about as worthless as a dog who won't hunt.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:30 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,038,430 times
Default reply

any old school school southerner has heard that dog don't hunt. That phrase is five or six generations deep in this state. If your great granddaddy was born in this state, then you have heard that dog don't hunt. It is that simple. Just because your mom and dad moved to north raleigh or cary in 1966 to work in the park does not make you a native. It only makes you a transplant.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:16 AM

531 posts, read 1,977,853 times
I wonder how the very charming phrase "love on", as in "The little ones are loving on their new puppy" came about? It's a phrase that so intensely conveys its meaning.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:45 AM

183 posts, read 670,022 times
My family is from the mountains of NC, and we go back several generations. I thought I had heard them all until the other day. My cousin was talking to someone about getting a job, and he told the guy he'd be there "like a hair in a biscuit". That was a new one on me.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:51 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,444,897 times
i am a recent transplant so a lot of sayings are new, although i dont hear that many of them...
"bless your heart" seems a funny one. i have heard it said to someone who expresses not knowing something obvious. i guess they are politly trying to tell you how dumb you are? lol

Old 09-12-2008, 11:40 AM

983 posts, read 3,974,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i am a recent transplant so a lot of sayings are new, although i dont hear that many of them...
"bless your heart" seems a funny one. i have heard it said to someone who expresses not knowing something obvious. i guess they are politly trying to tell you how dumb you are? lol

It can be used as a backhanded insult....or it can be very sincere.

My neighbor's little girl was very sick yesterday and as she was telling me about it, I did reply, "Bless her heart." But I meant it as, "I'm so sorry she's sick."

Old 09-12-2008, 02:39 PM

66 posts, read 284,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedB View Post
At the risk of this becoming a political debate (and I really hope it doesn't become one), is "that dog don't hunt" a local Carolina saying or slogan? What exactly does it mean. What are some other sayings out there and what is the story behind them. What are the pearls of wisdom that are commonly expressed in short phrases in North Carolina?
Hi,

There is another thread that has lots of NC sayings

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...-nc-slang.html

That dog won't hunt was even used in a Senate debate, it means " that makes no sense " or you are just plain lying.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:13 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,259,411 times
My mom's parents and their parents (perhaps even further back) were all born and raised in North Carolina and I never heard them use that phrase. I actually first heard it on Band of Brothers a couple years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: