Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:06 AM

7 posts, read 13,623 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am a young professional who will be relocating to NC this month for a new job and I can live in either Raleigh or Charlotte. I have spent the last 6 years in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia; I am looking for something that is similar in terms of walkability, nightlife, and restaurants.

Where do most young professionals live and what are the pros and cons to these cities?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 08:54 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esp312 View Post
I have spent the last 6 years in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia;
will be relocating to NC ... either Raleigh or Charlotte.
Is this move your own choice or is something forcing it upon you?

Quote:
I am looking for something that is similar in terms of walkability,
nightlife, and restaurants.
Good luck.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:46 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
I am looking for something that is similar in terms of walkability, nightlife, and restaurants.
Neither city is highly walkable. I'd give the edge to Charlotte for young people, esp. because of the major league sports teams.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-01-2013 at 10:10 AM..

Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Sadly, I have to agree - and I lived in downtown Philly for many years. Neither Charlotte or Raleigh can offer you that lifestyle.

There are plenty of other things that make both areas attractive places to live, but walkability, the way you are seeking, is not one of them.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:58 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,804,815 times
neither city will accommodate you....Choose elsewhere.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:36 AM

7 posts, read 13,623 times
Thanks all! Seems like the consensus is that neither will really be similar. Since I have to live in NC for this position, can anyone recommend another area that would be better suited for a young professional (25 yo)? Not necessarily in terms of walkability but just in general quality of life...

Old 07-01-2013, 10:44 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Since I have to live in NC for this position,
can anyone recommend another area that would be better suited...
Nope. hey are about as good as it will get in NC.

There *are* other (and smaller) cities and there are niches within both CLT and the Triangle...
but of the practical choices you're limited to... I'd lean toward the Triangle.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:46 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,180 times
Quote:
Thanks all! Seems like the consensus is that neither will really be similar. Since I have to live in NC for this position, can anyone recommend another area that would be better suited for a young professional (25 yo)? Not necessarily in terms of walkability but just in general quality of life...

One thing that might help, is knowing if you are being forced to choose between those two cities specifically for where to work, or if there is a more open range for you. People might want to recommend Asheville, but it's in Western NC, and if you needed to work in either Charlotte or Raleigh, it wouldn't be possible, even if it might fit your needs more.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:01 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
As you probably already know, neither are on the level of Philly, but that's not exactly what you asked...
Quote:
I have spent the last 6 years in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia; I am looking for something that is similar in terms of walkability, nightlife, and restaurants.

Where do most young professionals live and what are the pros and cons to these cities?
In Raleigh and Charlotte, you'd need to focus on areas in (or near) downtown. In Raleigh, it would be areas such as Glenwood South or downtown's Warehouse district. In Charlotte, it would be areas such as 4th Ward, 1st Ward, 3rd Ward, South End, Wesley Heights, Dilworth, Plaza Midwood, Elizabeth, Midtown, or Noda.

I'm not sure if you're into highrise rentals or not. I just know that the ones in downtown Charlotte seem to be populated with lots of younger professionals. Here are some you might want to check out if you decide on Charlotte.

Avenue condo Uptown Charlotte - YouTube

trademark condo Uptown Charlotte - YouTube

3902 at the Vue. spaceship floating in uptown Charlotte - YouTube

Courtside Suite 802 For Rent - YouTube

Here is a short video of the South End area of Charlotte. It has become very popular with the younger professionals as well. I'd highly suggest checking out some of the rentals in this area. Good luck...

South End: Good to Great - YouTube

One last suggestion. Try posting two different threads in the Charlotte local forum and the Triangle local forum. In both threads, ask about walkable-urban locations/real estate within both metros. This forum is the NC General forum. To be quite honest, most of the responses here won't be very helpful. I'm not trying to brag, but I did at least attempt to show you areas of Charlotte that I thought you might like. That's the type of responses you'll get on the local forums (people who actually try to help you). If what you saw on the videos above wasn't "good enough", then you'd probably be better off trying another city like New Orleans, Atlanta, or Miami.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 07-01-2013 at 11:14 AM..

Old 07-01-2013, 01:33 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Charlotte is more "urban" than Raleigh, closer to the two cities you mention. But the only way you'll know is to visit both and see which feels more like "you".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina