Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2007, 04:23 PM

642 posts, read 2,552,587 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I would like to move to W. North Carolina and I miss so much of the south from my youth. (My Dads family from S. GA and N. FL.)

I want to let my daughter see what real living is about. She will be going into the 10th grade.

She is 1/2 hispanic and I am worried she would not be accepted or be given problems and I have put this move off because of this. I want her home to be my home and it is time to make the move. Can anyone help me on this with advice?

I want to find a safe place that has the arts and outdoors. She loves dance and sports.

The mountains are beautiful and the lakes/rivers gorgeous.

Is there towns out there you can recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, we may be looking around in June for a week.
Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 05:27 PM

129 posts, read 489,035 times
Murphy / Hayesville areas sound just like what you are describing. These little towns are in the very most western tip of the state, in the mountains, about two hours from Asheville and Atlanta. It's beautiful and the people are friendly! If you'd like more info,just let me know!

Old 02-06-2007, 06:27 PM

642 posts, read 2,552,587 times
Thank you for your input! Is Murphy as big as Hendersonville & Is the driving cliffy? I would have to make some trips into a bigger town and am terrified of cliffy drives. What is the area like as far as arts and diversity?
Again I appreciate your help, your very kind!

Old 02-07-2007, 06:28 AM

62 posts, read 322,117 times
Maybe Hickory or Morganton or a small town near one of those. Hickory reports around 85,000 folks and has many small towns near it. It is rolling but not hilly.
I live in Rutherford county which about an hour southwest of Hickory. Our entire county ony has a population of about 75,000 though. I like the county because it is not metropliated and it has hills where it isn't twisty turny to get around, unless you are in the Lake Lure area (which gets a little pricy). We are centrally located between Charlotte, Asheville and Spartanburg, however depending on what part of the county, it could take you 1/2 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes to get to one of those.
The southern tip of the county lays pretty flat while it gets rolling hills above US 74. Some areas have beautiful views of the high mountains as well.
You mentioned Hendersonville. Had you already been thinking about that area? It is convenient to Asheville and it isn't that difficult to traverse the area.
Best of luck to you.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:25 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,289 times
I think Hendersonville or Hickory woyld be nice. They have a small town feel, but have the population to where you don't feel like you're so isolated. Good luck in your search!!!

Old 02-07-2007, 11:22 AM

129 posts, read 489,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
Thank you for your input! Is Murphy as big as Hendersonville & Is the driving cliffy? I would have to make some trips into a bigger town and am terrified of cliffy drives. What is the area like as far as arts and diversity?
Murphy is not as big as Hendersonville, but the roads are not as steep either. There are some that are a little steep, but for the most part they aren't bad. And for the trip into Atlanta or Chattanooga (for malls and so forth ) are pretty good roads.The trip to Asheville isn't bad either, mostly four laned. We also have some local theater for plays, and the John C. Campbell Folk School is closeby and that's a real treat! You can probably "google" it and get more detailed info. But they have a lot of classes for adults and kids, always something going on there.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:23 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
Hendersonville (POP. 11k) is connected to Asheville (POP. 70K) by I-26. Not a little mountain 2 lane road.

Last edited by mm34b; 02-07-2007 at 08:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina