Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 07:35 AM

62 posts, read 176,493 times

Advertisements

We spent a week in Raleigh just before memorial day, checking the place out etc. One thing I noticed in particular is that, not counting auto/house insurance, housing costs and taxes, is that the cost of living (food, clothing, fuel etc.) was really close to where we live in Fort Lauderdale FL. In some cases higher. That surprised me.

Would anyone be able to compare the area around Charlotte to either Raleigh or Ft Lauderdale? How about further north, say between Charlotte and W-S.

Also, would the info for Charlotte hold true for the Northern part of South Carolina, since it's so close?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2006, 08:05 AM

110 posts, read 168,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripath
We spent a week in Raleigh just before memorial day, checking the place out etc. One thing I noticed in particular is that, not counting auto/house insurance, housing costs and taxes, is that the cost of living (food, clothing, fuel etc.) was really close to where we live in Fort Lauderdale FL. In some cases higher. That surprised me.

Would anyone be able to compare the area around Charlotte to either Raleigh or Ft Lauderdale? How about further north, say between Charlotte and W-S.

Also, would the info for Charlotte hold true for the Northern part of South Carolina, since it's so close?

Thanks.
I noticed that too "(food, clothing, fuel etc.)" cable and internet too!... but there are other things to consider. I now pay an average of $300.00 on electric (becauce of the new FL fuel charge, I would pay over $500.00 for July, August, and Sept each), $100.00 on water, $40.00 on Sewer/garbage. Moving into an area where the new homes are more energy efficient and what seems like higher minimal standards, is also something to consider. Even though there is a state income tax in NC where FL has none, there are more funds for programs for children and family services, which FL lacks strenght and everytime there is a tax cut in FL, the children and family services get the cut first. Not to mention our emergency forces- fire, police, etc.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:14 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,643 times
I don't live in Raleigh but my understanding is that we have the same provider for electricity that they have. I have a 1700 square foot ranch brick, built in 1984 and the highest electric bill I have had in 14 years of living here was under $300.00. And that was before replace the heat pump. After that, the highest one we have had in $236.00 and that is in the hot, humid summertime.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:37 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzmyers
I noticed that too "(food, clothing, fuel etc.)" cable and internet too!... but there are other things to consider. I now pay an average of $300.00 on electric (becauce of the new FL fuel charge, I would pay over $500.00 for July, August, and Sept each), $100.00 on water, $40.00 on Sewer/garbage. Moving into an area where the new homes are more energy efficient and what seems like higher minimal standards, is also something to consider. Even though there is a state income tax in NC where FL has none, there are more funds for programs for children and family services, which FL lacks strenght and everytime there is a tax cut in FL, the children and family services get the cut first. Not to mention our emergency forces- fire, police, etc.
I believe Ripath is retired, so young family type social services such as public schools, childcare and the like are not an issue. Probably doesn't care to pay extra for those services either since they will not be using them.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-03-2006 at 11:45 AM..

Old 06-03-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripath

Thanks.
Cost of Living Comparison - Check your private message mailbox.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:51 AM

110 posts, read 168,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
I believe Ripath is retired, so young family type services such as public schools, childcare and the like are not an issue. Probably doesn't care to pay extra for those services either since they will not be using them.
Sorry... maybe I wasn't clear... Children and family services are for those troubled youths who need help. Families in need as well. The more public (gov't run) programs we have for our troubled teens, the less crime we have in the future. People often ask on the FL forum why has the crime risen all over? Many of the programs no longer exist. I think this is something everyone should be concerned with. Especially those who are worried about the people from the "wrong side of the tracks". I don't mind paying extra taxes if it means that the kids today were guided down a different path for a safer future. This was just my explanation of one reason why paying state income tax is NOT a bad thing in NC.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzmyers
Sorry... maybe I wasn't clear... Children and family services are for those troubled youths who need help. Families in need as well. The more public (gov't run) programs we have for our troubled teens, the less crime we have in the future. People often ask on the FL forum why has the crime risen all over? Many of the programs no longer exist. I think this is something everyone should be concerned with. Especially those who are worried about the people from the "wrong side of the tracks". I don't mind paying extra taxes if it means that the kids today were guided down a different path for a safer future. This was just my explanation of one reason why paying state income tax is NOT a bad thing in NC.
True, but many Seniors are on a limited fixed income where excessive city and county taxation increases becomes a real quality-of-life issue for them. Great if your working with a growing income, not so great if you're no longer in the workforce. Can't say I'd recommend Wake or Mecklenburg Counties for those folks. Way too risky especially in the area of property taxes. I've seen many reports of folks who had to sell their home of 30-40 years because of skyrocketing property taxes when they retire.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-03-2006 at 12:12 PM..

Old 06-03-2006, 12:06 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,109 times
More government programs with our higher tax dollars does not fix any social problems. It never did and it never will. More government programs will not clean up the crime in Florida or anywhere else.
Now extra money for police and fireman is fine with me.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:08 PM

62 posts, read 176,493 times
Default Yep Retired

You are right, mm34b. Retired a couple of times, going for the third with this pending move. Kids grown and out, etc etc.

I work in the construction field, on the engineering side (field work, inspections, etc.) and would continue to do so after the move. I can't sit around and do nothing, and, since I am interested in a brand new house, there would be minimal to do.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:22 PM

212 posts, read 923,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
True, but many Seniors are on a limited fixed income where excessive city and county taxation increases becomes a real quality-of-life issue for them. Great if your working with a growing income, not so great if you're no longer in the workforce. Can't say I'd recommend Wake or Mecklenburg Counties for those folks. Way too risky especially in the area of property taxes. I've seen many reports of folks who had to sell their home of 30-40 years because of skyrocketing property taxes when they retire.
Any suggestions if not Wake county?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina