Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

From Michigan considering move to Charlotte, North Carolina, advice needed: places to live, cost of living, entertainment venues, movie theaters, concert venues, shopping, neighborhoods to avoid, city website

Old 06-03-2006, 10:39 AM

5 posts, read 11,968 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

First off I am new to this whole forum idea but after looking through and seeing all the great questions and advice I thought I would give it a try. I am from Michigan and just recently graduated college and got married. I have a job offfer (teaching) in a school in Gastonia NC. My husband and I took a few day trip to NC to check things out and feel in love with Charlotte and outside areas. Other then what we could see from the car we are still very clueless. My whole life is here in Michigan and I would be packing it up and coming to a place I know nothing about and know no one. Does anyone have anything to offer (advice, reccommendations, etc) about great places to live around the Charlotte area where to stay away from, etc? We are just starting off as a new couple and would love advice from some NC natives. Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2006, 11:22 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
It would be helpful if you could give us more details as to what location characteristics are important to you and your bride . To start with, what do you like and dislike about your present location in Michigan? At this point we know you're young, so money is probably tight. You'll probably want a short commute considering price of gasoline and a tight budget. Will your wife also be working?

Old 06-03-2006, 11:47 AM

336 posts, read 512,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
It would be helpful if you could give us more details as to what location characteristics are important to you and your bride . To start with, what do you like and dislike about your present location in Michigan? At this point we know you're young, so money is probably tight. You'll probably want a short commute considering price of gasoline and a tight budget. Will your wife also be working?
I think the poster is the bride and wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayne
My husband and I took a few day trip to NC to check things out and feel in love with Charlotte and outside areas.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S.
I think the poster is the bride and wife.
Thanks. My mistake. Sorry about that.

Old 06-03-2006, 01:44 PM

5 posts, read 11,968 times
thanks for such quick replys- yes Im the bride/wife

I guess the biggest thing we are looking for is a safe place to live. (for now we we will probably rent with intent to buy a house in the near future) A place we would feel good raising a family. Where we can walk at night and not be worried about crime, where our kids (someday) can play in the yard and I am not worried about them. Living in Michigan my whole life I know what areas to stay away from, and where would be a good/bad place to live. I dont know that about NC.

As far as Michigan goes. The biggest reason we are leaving is the economy. Since the car industry's lay offs and such- jobs are far and few between and my husband lost his job. Teaching jobs are also far and few between here for me. I went to the teacher job fair in Gaston county and was offered a job. We spent a few days there and looking around the charlotte area and loved it. We liked the idea of being able to go to the ocean or the moutains in a weekend. We loved the feel of Downtown Charlotte. But again all we got was a snapshot from the car. I dont know what the crime is like, or how it is at night or even what all there is to do. The same goes for the other cities around there. We would like to be near a place that we could do fun things. Movies, plays, shopping, concerts,etc. But when it comes down to looking for a place to live we dont know where to begin. So I guess we need some advice about what are some great areas, safe, not far from charlotte and gastonia. Yes money is tight but I am hoping Nic will be able to find work once down there, since I will be fine if I accept the teaching job

I asked a waitress at one of the places we ate, what areas were safe and she said the best way to judge was to look around at night and see how things are. We werent able to do that.

A web site that descibes the cities would be great. I have yet to find anything like that. And I read about crime rates but dont know how accurate they are. I read on one web site that crime in Charlotte is worse then Detroit. Now I find that very hard to belive. If thats the case Im not sure thats where we want to be.

This is getting way to long. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much

Old 06-03-2006, 02:11 PM

I'd live in Gaston County since it's where your job is. Nothing is worse than spending time in a car commuting not to mention the expense in operating costs. Charlotte and Mecklenburg County is close enough for those times you want some big city entertainment without the taxation and higher cost of purchasing and maintaining a residence there. I'm sure your new employer would be willing to offer some local personal advice on the various Gaston County communities you may want to consider based on your lifestyle priorities.

Last edited by mm34b; 06-03-2006 at 02:17 PM..

Old 06-04-2006, 06:24 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
rayne:
Since you have a job offer, how did you find your salary compared to what a similar teacher in Michigan could make?

My wife and I and our 5 year old daughter are moving to south charlotte. We did the car tour thing, and actually was fortunate to stay a day or two with a family friend in their home so we got the real deal. I think you'll be happy as a great place to start your lives together. Charlotte "feels" to me to be at the beginning (or possibly a few years into the beginning) of a great growth spurt.

My only "ding" (and I don't really think it's a ding b/c it's all relative) is that the average salary for most fields across the board is lower than many cities. I heard the pay is low for teachers in NC in general. Maybe that's a public sector thing. I do notice that pay in most medical fields is pretty good (I'm not in that field, my wife is however).

So let me clarify why it's not much of a "ding" in that the overall cost of living is relatively lower in charlotte. Afterall it's not what you make per se, it's what you *keep*.

I tell my friends that someone making $40K a year in charlotte, can afford a nice home/town home and have a decent standard of living. Making $40K in Boston (which is where I'm moving from) will get you a cardboard box and noodles for dinner everynight. I'm being a bit sarcastic but it's not far from the truth...

Anyway I think moving from MI will be a great move for you guys.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:31 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,918 times
Almost forty years ago I left Pittsburgh just before all of the steel mills closed. It is pretty scary and you have my sympathy. It is also exciting and you should look at it like that. Very few folks who have moved down here regret it. You'll really love it about the middle of February. I rode my motorcycle every week last winter!. Cannot do that in Michigan. If lyou miss the snow you are within 100 miles of five ski resorts. Go up, see the snow and go home. It's great.
Congratulations on your graduation. What you're about to do is tough but it'll be worth it.
I have yet to visit Charlotte but I read about the terrible traffic. I'd try to get a home as close to work as possible.
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: