U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:00 PM

3,650 posts, read 8,758,799 times

Advertisements

I have heard people have "put off" doing this for years - but I thought if you lived in the state you had get this from that state-? Anyone know offhand?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 02:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 62,076,528 times
A cop will give you a ticket or warning if he has probable cause you did not get a license or tags within the states allocated time to do this check the state dmv website for exact times I think it 30 on one and 60 on the other.
Putting it off is just asking to put court costs and time spent in court on top of the fees you have to pay anyways ... Best thing is get er done

Look at Huntersville Crime Scene and scroll down to citations and look at all the improper registration violations given in a town that is mostly transplants
http://www.huntersvilleherald.com/news/crime_scene/ (broken link)

Old 09-22-2008, 02:59 PM

930 posts, read 2,011,352 times
My husband had to get his Drivers license for his job as soon as we moved here. He didn't get his plates until 4 months later. He got stopped by a policeman for something else and he didn't say a thing about the plates. That was in Asheville. My next door neighbor is a Mecklenburg cop and he said that they won't even stop you if your license plate is expired for at least 3 months. I would have kept my Fl plates and license, had they not expired and I had to go into an office in Fl to renew.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:43 AM

Thanks to both. I ask because my registration for my current state is coming up and I'd just as soon do it now and be good to go until it expires next year - along w/the expense, getting a new license is a ROYAL pain.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:39 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,699,326 times
One tip about renewing your driver's license... go to a nearby smaller town license office. You don't have to renew (or get new license) in the town/city where you live. When we lived in W-S, and my husband worked in Welcome, he renewed his license in Lexington. That office was a lot less crowded than in W-S.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:09 PM

16,308 posts, read 26,853,569 times
I know the people down the street have lived here at least 6 years and still have Florida plates, and what would be illegal window tint in NC on their vehicle.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:31 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,699,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I know the people down the street have lived here at least 6 years and still have Florida plates, and what would be illegal window tint in NC on their vehicle.
Maybe they still have property in FL too?

I've moved to SC but also have a home in Avery County, NC. Cars and voting are still registered in NC.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:38 PM

FWIW I called and they said 30 days, in fact for most states it's 30 days.

Phooey.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 7,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
How do you renew a vehicle registration when you are out of town?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:57 PM

21,093 posts, read 26,677,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy Burton View Post
How do you renew a vehicle registration when you are out of town?
Some states can be done through the mail..just have to have it sent to a relative or an address in the registered state and forwarded to NC...

Or do it when one goes back home to visit?

I know folks who have done it both ways, from 3 or 4 different states.

I knew some people who drove on an expired plate from a North eastern state for 3 years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina