Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 11:28 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,024,540 times

Advertisements

I do not know about the walmarts in new york etc.

But even the worstWalmart here in nc is about 10 times better than the best one in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 11:28 AM

165 posts, read 884,389 times
We have only shopped at the Ingles in Weaverville and the one in Marshall and
I would say prices are about on Par with the Pubix prices here in Tampa Bay area of Florida. There is a Walmart going in in Weaverville in a year or two so I guess when we move there we can be Wally Worlder's and check the price difference first hand vs Ingles....

Old 02-13-2007, 12:55 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
I'm from NH, and find the Wal-Mart stores are pretty much the same everywhere. The food section in the WM in Wake Forest is good, but the rest of the store doesn't impress me. I have recently discovered that Target has very good food prices (comparable to WM, in some cases even better). I won't buy meat at WM, but I do like some of the meats at Target. I like Harris Teeter a lot, and I've come to trust their store brand. I limit myself mostly to sales, though, no matter which store I shop at.

Old 02-13-2007, 01:19 PM

889 posts, read 3,117,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
I pay $5.50 for organic milk at Whole Foods. I think depending on your community Lowe's foods can also be a really nice grocery store. Harris Teeter is nice too. I personally avoid Food Lion's. I have been really surprised by Walmart's variety of organics and I have found the two I have shopped in to be clean and big. I never shopped in one before NC though. Where I am from, your community will fight a Walmart trying to come to town like you can't imagine.
You must be in Calif?? Dont worry, i am not bashing you I moved away from there and do miss Whole Foods and do know god forbid if there was ever a Super Walmart to be had anywhere that would be a miracle!!I dont think there are in Calif.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:24 PM

676 posts, read 3,076,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
You must be in Calif?? Dont worry, i am not bashing you I moved away from there and do miss Whole Foods and do know god forbid if there was ever a Super Walmart to be had anywhere that would be a miracle!!I dont think there are in Calif.
Yep, I moved to NC from Santa Barbara, CA in July. My town wouldn't even let a Target come in.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:31 PM

3,294 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Quote:
do miss Whole Foods
You mean Whole Paycheck??? We have a Whole Foods near us but it is WAY to expensive for us.

I think that all prices are relative to what you are use to and what you want. Liz

Old 02-13-2007, 07:41 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
Is the walmarts and targets the same in NC as they are here in mass or are they better, cleaner (walmart not target - target's always clean)? HT sounds like a nice grocery store. My husband and I are looking to move to the coast of NC, hopefully there's an HT there. Do you like NC? Just curious since you're from mass.
Well having only been to two Walmarts, one in Monroe and the other on Independence (Charlotte), I found the experience fine- I do perfer the one in Monroe as it's closer to me (Waxhaw/Wesley Chapel). I happen to like those b/c they do have a full supermarket- I've not yet been to a "super" Target yet which I hear has a supermarket.

HT is a very nice shopping experience- until you get your total . I tend to gravitate between a nice experience and the just wanted to get the best deal (regardless of where I get the product). The HTs are very consistent thought, it's clearly a corporate policy to be friendly to customers and ask if they need help. Plus the kids seem to like the free sugar cookies (an ingenious idea) which is another warm fuzzy.

We've been here only about 6 months, and with the growth, traffic, etc., etc. we are very very happy- but we brought a lot of happiness with us (and now I get to gloat a little back to folks in Boston about the temps...). My wife's family is from the NC coast, so she has fond memories from "back in the day" in New Bern,NC.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:50 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Well having only been to two Walmarts, one in Monroe and the other on Independence (Charlotte), I found the experience fine- I do perfer the one in Monroe as it's closer to me (Waxhaw/Wesley Chapel). I happen to like those b/c they do have a full supermarket- I've not yet been to a "super" Target yet which I hear has a supermarket.

HT is a very nice shopping experience- until you get your total . I tend to gravitate between a nice experience and the just wanted to get the best deal (regardless of where I get the product). The HTs are very consistent thought, it's clearly a corporate policy to be friendly to customers and ask if they need help. Plus the kids seem to like the free sugar cookies (an ingenious idea) which is another warm fuzzy.

We've been here only about 6 months, and with the growth, traffic, etc., etc. we are very very happy- but we brought a lot of happiness with us (and now I get to gloat a little back to folks in Boston about the temps...). My wife's family is from the NC coast, so she has fond memories from "back in the day" in New Bern,NC.
My husband's been talking about moving to NC for years now. When people ask why he always mentions the lower cost of housing, lower cost of living, lower cost of almost everything compared to mass. I think I just found the one thing that is higher cost, groceries! It sounds like HT is the super stop n shop of mass with a bit of whole foods sprinkled in. Today would be a perfect day to gloat, it's snowing here (getting our first nor'easter of the year). The roads are terrible too. You'd think since the plows haven't worked this entire winter season they'd do a MUCH better job clearing the snow especially off the highway but NOPE, it looks like all they've done today is sand. Be glad you're in NC. I can't wait to move.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:28 AM

473 posts, read 1,737,360 times
Quote:
My husband's been talking about moving to NC for years now. When people ask why he always mentions the lower cost of housing, lower cost of living, lower cost of almost everything compared to mass. I think I just found the one thing that is higher cost, groceries! It sounds like HT is the super stop n shop of mass with a bit of whole foods sprinkled in. Today would be a perfect day to gloat, it's snowing here (getting our first nor'easter of the year). The roads are terrible too. You'd think since the plows haven't worked this entire winter season they'd do a MUCH better job clearing the snow especially off the highway but NOPE, it looks like all they've done today is sand. Be glad you're in NC. I can't wait to move.
I would almost compare HT to a Kings more so than a Stop N Shop when it comes to prices. The service at HT is like Kings if not even better. But I RARELY shop at HT.. I mean I run in for bread or something if I am near one.. but not much more than that.

Linda

Old 02-14-2007, 08:41 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
Well you're correct, on average milk is $2 more per gallon (but I can go to Walmart and get it for about the same), but I'm willing to pay the extra $104/year (assuming I buy a gallon a week) to save the $9K+ in property taxes I was paying in MA before .

Ah a good old Noreaster- They are real nice if you don't have to go to work, have kids (meaning they don't get a day off from school), and don't have to clean up the driveway, the walk, the windshield. I'm am soooo not missing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina