U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2007, 02:45 PM

10 posts, read 31,490 times

Advertisements

I'm torn between these 2 towns because I've read such wonderful things about both. Can you provide pros and cons for one or both towns? I'm relocating from Blue Point, Long Island. Thanks everyone!!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 03:27 PM

5,661 posts, read 25,384,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangTania View Post
I'm torn between these 2 towns because I've read such wonderful things about both. Can you provide pros and cons for one or both towns? I'm relocating from Blue Point, Long Island. Thanks everyone!!!
I don't see any similarities between the two other than they're both in NC. Even the climate is markedly different, but both are vacation destinations for many. I guess it just comes down to whether you're a mountain or beach person.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:02 PM

936 posts, read 2,409,267 times
I've lived in both, Wilmington 1997-2002 and Asheville 2002-present, and all I would caution you on is that if a job is important, make sure you have one lined up before you move there. Both places are vacation and retirement hubs that have a shortage of professional, well-paying jobs. In either place, if I were to have lost my job, (in the software industry) I would have been forced to move (and still would be in Asheville). They also have higher than average (for NC) real estate costs. If you can afford either one, they are nice places to live. Traffic is worse in Wilmington (no freeways to speak of). I noticed your other posts too about Wilmington, and what the other person said is true, Leland is looked down upon by Wilmington residents. I remember many jokes about Leland and its residents when I lived in Wilmington.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxors View Post
I've lived in both, Wilmington 1997-2002 and Asheville 2002-present, and all I would caution you on is that if a job is important, make sure you have one lined up before you move there. Both places are vacation and retirement hubs that have a shortage of professional, well-paying jobs. In either place, if I were to have lost my job, (in the software industry) I would have been forced to move (and still would be in Asheville). They also have higher than average (for NC) real estate costs. If you can afford either one, they are nice places to live. Traffic is worse in Wilmington (no freeways to speak of). I noticed your other posts too about Wilmington, and what the other person said is true, Leland is looked down upon by Wilmington residents. I remember many jokes about Leland and its residents when I lived in Wilmington.
Hi Rox and thanks for the info. Thankfully, my husband works for the postal service which is awesome for us because he takes his salary with him wherever he transfers to. I'm in the medical field which is pretty much in demand everywhere. I think we'll be fine with the jobs. I think Wilmington will be more up our alley because we both want to stay closer to the water.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:27 AM

187 posts, read 969,943 times
Default Do your own homework.

I've been visiting the forums for a few months now, and this thread finally spurred me to register...

"I'm torn between these 2 towns because I've read such wonderful things about both."

I'm not sure how you can feel one way or another about anyplace without actually visiting it yourself. I can't even keep track of how many people post on this board essentially asking others to tell them where to move. By the end of your second post, you had essentially decided that Wilmington is the better move because it is closer to water. Sigh.

When my wife and I decided that where we lived wasn't working for us anymore (Omaha, NE), we made a concerted effort to visit places that we were curious about to see if they would work for us. After a year of long weekends visiting other towns, we essentially made a list of what was important to us and weighted the values of those things depending on how critical they were to our happiness, thus providing a score (my wife is an engineer, could you tell?).

Towns that we had been told were fantastic (Boulder, CO) sometimes didn't do so well on our matrix. Towns that don't always get mentioned as the cool place to move (Pittsburgh, PA) did amazingly well. This doesn't mean that Boulder isn't a cool town - it just didn't correlate with what we were looking for. We happened to end up moving to Asheville based on this score system, but this was based on very, very personal criteria. That homework we did paid off. To be honest, if we were to move now (3 years later), I don't know whether Asheville would have done quite as well in my matrix due to the massive cost of housing increase that has occurred here. Moot point due to when we moved, but still worth noting.

If I had made a move based on friends' (or better yet, strangers') suggestions without visiting the places myself, I think I would have been doing myself and my wife a great disservice. The best advice you are going to get on this board is this - visit Wilmington and Asheville and make a decision based on what you personally discover.

What you may find out may surprise you. (Let me give you a hint - Asheville was not on the original list of towns we wanted to visit....)

Old 02-11-2007, 09:01 AM

Thanks so much for your information Van. Maybe I should clarify the fact that I'm not asking for anyone in any way to tell me where to move. I was simply asking for pros and cons of said areas. After all, isn't that what this forum is all about for people relocating from afar?

Old 02-11-2007, 03:29 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,535,345 times
Both are nice areas. Personally, I'd choose Asheville. I just like the weather better (hate high heat/high humudity). But what one poster said is true. You need to have a job in place, be able to work from home, or be in a situation where a job isn't important. Asheville doesn't have a "bad" economy, just that it's based on tourism/retirees and options are limited. Good luck!!!

Old 02-17-2007, 10:53 AM

9 posts, read 27,301 times
I personally think Wilmington would be a much better for a couple like you. It is a very romantic city, and it is one of the fastest growin citys in the US.
=]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina