Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:40 AM

184 posts, read 359,517 times

Advertisements

Charlotte- in my estimate- is better from a liberal standpoint than most cities in NC- HOWEVER, Charlotte has many closet bigots, meaning that you don't see people's true colors until you put them in certain situations like sending them into an economically depressed neighborhood, or perhaps a bar or nightclub, or expose them to an interracial relationship, or some other situation where there are more black people than white people and based on reactions you can quickly identify underlying fear and in most cases prejudice- which is still sad

now that's not to say that this doesn't happen in other cities in NC or throughout the country- but its very clear to me in Charlotte how divided black people and white people are

so even if someone says that they are not racist- which they will defend with every possible breathe- you will see people's actions speak louder than their words

Old 11-03-2008, 09:39 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
Charlotte is a great city and has taken significant strides recently (i.e. - train, arena, etc...) in creating an awesome urban setting. A lot of my extended family lives in the Charlotte area. I also have a number of friends living there, so I've spent a decent amount of time in Charlotte and surrounding areas. I've enjoyed hanging out with one of my cousins (she's gay, FWIW) and some of my most left-leaning friends in NoDa and surrounding areas. Certainly these areas are not terribly conservative.

I currently live in Durham and have lived in Raleigh for the past 6 years. I would say that Charlotte vs. Raleigh has Raleigh as just slightly more liberal, mostly due to the universities and state government as major employers as opposed to major banks in Charlotte. However, when you account for other Triangle communities like Carrboro, Durham & Chapel Hill in the Triangle vs. Charlotte, the Triangle is, IMHO, far more liberal than Charlotte.

This is by no means a statement of superioritiy for one area over the other. I also have not used the term "progressive" as a synonym for liberal b/c I personally hate the term. It implies to me that to not be progressive is to not make progress. This is certainly not the case for Charlotte or the Triangle. Both areas offer a fine quality of life and either end of the political spectrum you might be searching for.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:24 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Charlotte is a great city and has taken significant strides recently (i.e. - train, arena, etc...) in creating an awesome urban setting. A lot of my extended family lives in the Charlotte area. I also have a number of friends living there, so I've spent a decent amount of time in Charlotte and surrounding areas. I've enjoyed hanging out with one of my cousins (she's gay, FWIW) and some of my most left-leaning friends in NoDa and surrounding areas. Certainly these areas are not terribly conservative.

I currently live in Durham and have lived in Raleigh for the past 6 years. I would say that Charlotte vs. Raleigh has Raleigh as just slightly more liberal, mostly due to the universities and state government as major employers as opposed to major banks in Charlotte. However, when you account for other Triangle communities like Carrboro, Durham & Chapel Hill in the Triangle vs. Charlotte, the Triangle is, IMHO, far more liberal than Charlotte.

This is by no means a statement of superioritiy for one area over the other. I also have not used the term "progressive" as a synonym for liberal b/c I personally hate the term. It implies to me that to not be progressive is to not make progress. This is certainly not the case for Charlotte or the Triangle. Both areas offer a fine quality of life and either end of the political spectrum you might be searching for.
I agree. You really can't go wrong with either area. North Carolina is blessed to have such fine and economically stable cities. Many other cities outside of this state don't have the pleasure of having those characteristics. Let's not forget the Triad area which is a wonderful area as well. It's not quite as liberal, but most large cities in NC have at least some what of a liberal crowd that thrives there. One thing for sure, every large city in NC is PROGRESSIVE!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:21 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
I agree. You really can't go wrong with either area. North Carolina is blessed to have such fine and economically stable cities. Many other cities outside of this state don't have the pleasure of having those characteristics. Let's not forget the Triad area which is a wonderful area as well. It's not quite as liberal, but most large cities in NC have at least some what of a liberal crowd that thrives there. One thing for sure, every large city in NC is PROGRESSIVE!
Progressive and liberal are not synonyms. I would argue that North Carolina has always been a progressive state but never liberal.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:33 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
Progressive and liberal are not synonyms. I would argue that North Carolina has always been a progressive state but never liberal.
You must have misunderstood. I'm not talking about liberal always equals progressive. What I meant was liberal or not, every large city in NC is progressive. I hope I cleared that up.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:13 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Here is my problem with the whole "liberal" debate. Everyone has an "opinion", but no one seems to give specifics. Here are some specifics in the Charlotte area when it comes to being or not being liberal.

First of all, liberal is not a politcal party because I know gay republicans. I also know of gay bashing democrats. Liberal does not equal college town because some of the most "stuck up" people either attend or work at a college. Now that I have cleared up some of the myths about being liberal, allow me to explain what it is to be liberal.

For me, liberal is walking down the street with my wife and holding hands without fear of stares (we are an interacial couple). Liberal for me is noticing that we are not the only interacial couple in sight. Liberal to me is seeing a few gay couples around us too. Some of these gay couples have children with them (usally lesbian couples have kids). Liberal for me is having a few co-workers that are openly gay and no one cares. Liberal for me is seeing creatively dressed individuals walking through artsy older nieghborhoods. Liberal to me is riding the train or bus and seeing business men reading the paper while young guys are freestyle rapping. Neither seems bothered by the other. I would love to give more examples, but I think you guys get my point. I would really like to read more specifics in this liberal debate. "College town", "more organic" and "liberal vibe" just doesn't cut it for me.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-04-2008 at 03:52 AM..

Old 11-04-2008, 03:46 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post

Politically, I find it hard to beleive that the Triangle is more liberal. I also find it hard to believe that the area as a whole is more socially liberal. I am not suggesting that you are wrong, but I have ties to both areas also and I don't see a social difference when it comes to being liberal. Colleges are known for being very "clickish" and "snoody". Either you are the "in" or you are the "loser". Either you are the "pretty" or the "ugly". College is a very weak argument for being liberal because colleges often contain the same conservative and liberal values found in society. The "true liberals" are often college and high school dropouts LOL!!!

Charlotte (unfortunately or fortunately, depends on how you look at it) leads the state when it comes to the number of "true liberals". You can find these "true liberals" of Charlotte almost anywhere in town. They often have "creative" artwork all over their bodies and they "creatively" invent new ways of escaping their child support payments. They "creatively" avoid paying for rides on the train and they usually display their "creative" cooking abilities at their fast food jobs. They don't conform to any standards of dress code and they NEVER wear their shirts tucked in and their pants up high. Elaborate jewelry can be found "creatively" displayed all over their body's and even sometimes in their mouth. Some drive the most "creative" cars on the road jacked up on 22 inch rims or bigger. Some of these "creative" vehicles can even jump off of the ground with just the flick of a button. These "true liberals" even have "creative business ventures" on the side that pays them fifty times more money than their fast food jobs. They even get to "creatively" chose their own hours. These "true liberals" come in all sizes, races, and gender.

I am by no means picking at or belittling these "ballers" (I mean true liberals). Many of them are my friends at the B-ball courts in Charlotte. What they do is their business, not mine. I am not a snitch (I mean conservative). This is why I am saying Charlotte is by far NC's "true liberal" capital... Durham is a close second. Raleigh is not even in the top 10 when it comes to my "liberal" category.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-04-2008 at 04:10 AM..

Old 11-04-2008, 08:55 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
This is why I am saying Charlotte is by far NC's "true liberal" capital...
I must respectfully suggest you don't know what you are speaking of. Actually I am suggesting you are wrong. As a resident of Charlotte surely you already know that your current Mayor, Pat McCrory supports adding a ban on gay marriage to the state constitution. That doesn't sound very liberal minded to me, and the people of Charlotte are the ones who supported him and put him in his current postion of power. If there were so many liberals walking the streets of Charlotte as you claim, I doubt this would be the case.

"McCrory supports adding a ban on gay marriage to the state constitution, the pet idea of several evangelical Christian groups."

Source: The Liberal Triangle Free Paper Called "The Independet"

Most liberal places in NC are easily:

Asheville
Carrboro
Chapel Hill
Durham

Every other place is a mix no matter how you slice it.

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 11-04-2008 at 09:56 AM..

Old 11-04-2008, 02:02 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
UrbanCharlotte, if you're trying to convince Liberal-minded people to move to Charlotte, you've got a funny way of doing it.

Jent85, I currently live in an area that is considered pretty liberal (Durham) but I've also lived in very conservative areas of this country. I found that no matter where you are, you are bound to find like-minded people if you just look around a little bit. You can find pockets of blue amongst a sea of red and vice versa. So while this is an interesting conversation and all, I think it would be best in this economic climate to focus on finding a job first in all of the areas you listed & then take it from there.

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2008, 02:25 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Politically, I find it hard to beleive that the Triangle is more liberal. I also find it hard to believe that the area as a whole is more socially liberal. I am not suggesting that you are wrong, but I have ties to both areas also and I don't see a social difference when it comes to being liberal. Colleges are known for being very "clickish" and "snoody". Either you are the "in" or you are the "loser". Either you are the "pretty" or the "ugly". College is a very weak argument for being liberal because colleges often contain the same conservative and liberal values found in society. The "true liberals" are often college and high school dropouts LOL!!!

Charlotte (unfortunately or fortunately, depends on how you look at it) leads the state when it comes to the number of "true liberals". You can find these "true liberals" of Charlotte almost anywhere in town. They often have "creative" artwork all over their bodies and they "creatively" invent new ways of escaping their child support payments. They "creatively" avoid paying for rides on the train and they usually display their "creative" cooking abilities at their fast food jobs. They don't conform to any standards of dress code and they NEVER wear their shirts tucked in and their pants up high. Elaborate jewelry can be found "creatively" displayed all over their body's and even sometimes in their mouth. Some drive the most "creative" cars on the road jacked up on 22 inch rims or bigger. Some of these "creative" vehicles can even jump off of the ground with just the flick of a button. These "true liberals" even have "creative business ventures" on the side that pays them fifty times more money than their fast food jobs. They even get to "creatively" chose their own hours. These "true liberals" come in all sizes, races, and gender.

I am by no means picking at or belittling these "ballers" (I mean true liberals). Many of them are my friends at the B-ball courts in Charlotte. What they do is their business, not mine. I am not a snitch (I mean conservative). This is why I am saying Charlotte is by far NC's "true liberal" capital... Durham is a close second. Raleigh is not even in the top 10 when it comes to my "liberal" category.
I find Charlotte very liberal...especially in-town. With a metro population of 2.5 million people...you have people from all walks of life & from everywhere. I would also agree with Asheville too. Funny how out of towners find Charlotte conservative and they don't even live here. Uptown Charlotte where I live is V E R Y liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina