Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 07:35 AM

60 posts, read 309,206 times

Advertisements

Aardvarks,

I think everyone who is not used to eating cole slaw on their sandwiches/hot dogs have the same initial reaction. We never ate it as a "side" growing up, always "on" something .

Ed & Betty,
I don't know how my grandma made the fried cornbread. I know she used white cornmeal instead of yellow and fried it in a cast-iron skillet. I guess she mixed it with maybe water or milk and dropped it in the oil/Crisco/lard---not sure what she used (she grew up on a farm, no telling what was in the skillet, but gosh it was good!) The only thing I know is that you had to eat them right out of the pan, if they sat around, IMO they weren't any good.

I have asked my mother on many occasions and she doesn't know for sure exactly what went in them. She suggested that we play around one day with the recipe, but I just know it won't turn out the same.

There's probably a name for the "fried" cornbread, but we always called it, cornbread.

Maybe someone will come thru for us!
Nicole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 10:02 AM

904 posts, read 2,873,336 times
My vote goes to Chicken and Dumplins with cornbread. My grandmother made the best and used to always bring it around when I was sick. Not feeling so good today and I sure wish she was still around. I know she's in heaven too, making buscuits from scratch, another of her specialties.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:12 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
Oh the memories....we are so fortunate to have those!!!

Old 02-17-2007, 10:24 AM

402 posts, read 2,210,936 times
White or yellow cornmeal mixed with water fried in Crisco, cast iron optional. If you like them thick use less water. I like mine thin.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:27 AM

402 posts, read 2,210,936 times
Another favorite, Eastern NC fish stew. My wife from Illinois thinks it is nasty but it is one of my all time favorites.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:31 AM

89 posts, read 417,225 times
Fried cornbread that I was raised on...cornmeal, one egg, and milk enough to make it like pancake batter. Plenty of oil or whatever grease you want to use - they're almost deep fried. I like onions in mine every time, sometimes jalepenos, but those are optional. Enjoy!

Old 02-17-2007, 10:41 AM

17 posts, read 86,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
For sweet tea you basically boil the sugar and water together (but don't boil for long once it starts) before you make the tea. Use the proportions that get the tea as sweet as you like.
Ok...this is going to sound kinda goofy, you boil your water with sugar and then you make your tea and add that?
thanks again!

Old 02-17-2007, 02:58 PM

60 posts, read 309,206 times
Thank you vetegnc!

I knew I was pretty close, but I've never made them. I like them thin also, mmmmmm they are good.

Mysteri,

I boil my water in a regular tea pot (about 3/4 of the way full), then put in 3 family size tea bags and let it steep. I would say for at least 10-15 minutes, but you can definitely let it steep longer (I like my tea strong).

Then, I pour the tea into my large pitcher that came with the tea-making machine (I don't remember the name of that silly invention and I never liked the way my tea turned out, BUT I do like the pitcher, it's nice and big) and then I add about 1/2-2/3 of a cup of sugar-I usually start with 1/2 cup, then if I taste when its finished and it needs more, I'll add it. Some like their tea super sweet, others, not as sweet.

Then I add water to fill the pitcher about 3/4 of the way full. Then stir. It makes a lot of tea! (Be sure to taste test the tea AFTER you add the additional water, hee hee)

Here's to dinner!
Nicole

Old 02-17-2007, 05:53 PM

42 posts, read 183,129 times
eastern NC BBQ with slaw
carolina packers (bright leaf) hotdogs with homemade chili and slaw
collards, butterbeans, rutebagas
fried chicken and chicken pastry (dumplins)

I lived away from here for about 10 yrs (I had to beg uncle sam to let us come back)and when I'd come home to visit, we always took back bbq and hotdogs. There's nothing like them anywhere else in teh world.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:24 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
Eastern NC Bar-b-q
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina