Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charlotte vs. Winston Salem area - job opportunities, country-like neighborhood

Old 06-07-2006, 08:13 PM

31 posts, read 120,497 times

Advertisements

I am planning to relocate from Long Island, NY to the Charlotte or Winston Salem area. My question concerns employment. I'd like some input from others that have relocated. Did you secure employment before moving, or did you move, and then find a job? I'm very confused about the best course of action to take. Also, I'd appreciate if I could get some input on the Charlotte area as opposed to the Winston Salem area. I really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2006, 08:36 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,727,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpassaro
I am planning to relocate from Long Island, NY to the Charlotte or Winston Salem area. My question concerns employment. I'd like some input from others that have relocated. Did you secure employment before moving, or did you move, and then find a job? I'm very confused about the best course of action to take. Also, I'd appreciate if I could get some input on the Charlotte area as opposed to the Winston Salem area. I really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!!!
I think this is more of a personal choice than a “best course of action”. What works for one doesn’t necessarily work for another. I believe some that are moving without a job are doing so with enough money to pay cash for their house and have enough left over to get them by while they look for employment. Hope that helps.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:38 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,004,387 times
Quote:
Also, I'd appreciate if I could get some input on the Charlotte area as opposed to the Winston Salem area. I really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!!!
Lived near both, definitely prefer Winston-Salem.

If you want to live near massive clusters of other transplants, in a city that is basically a ... city, choose Charlotte.

W-S has (so far) dodged the manic growth, you can be out in the country in about 20 minutes, it has a sense of preservation of its history that Charlotte has lost (Old Salem and Bethabara are spiffy historical areas to visit in W-S). W-S has more a sense of Old Money than Charlotte, funded by the now pretty much defunct tobacco industry, where Charlotte is banking (though Wachovia originated in W-S).

IMO, we feel that there is a slower pace in W-S than Charlotte, though the job opportunities are probably greater in Charlotte (unless you commute toward the Triad - Greensboro area). But you still have great shopping, two very good hospitals, and an inventory of reasonably priced housing in W-S.

If we'd had our druthers, we would have landed in the W-S area, but our jobs transferred to Charlotte. We left that area after about 7 years and moved to the W-S area, and count it as one of the best things that ever happened to us. People talk about moving down here to find a slower way of life; you'll find that trait to be even more prevalent in the W-S area than Charlotte.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:15 PM

483 posts, read 1,562,211 times
Quote:
And yet another Long Islander! I too am from Long Island and in the process of moving to Charlotte. Our original plan was Raleigh but my husband job opptys ended up in Charlotte. Silverwing is correct in comparing W-S to Charlotte. We have friends of ours that live in W-S and say that it is much more 'country-like' feel than Charlotte. Don't get me wrong, Charlotte is a beautiful area but we chose to live there because we thought it was too rural for us. We had a realtor that lived in NJ before moving to NC so she had a very good idea what we were used to and knew not to go too drastic in terms of taking a lot of what were used to away from us. So I think it all depends on what you are looking for. What part of Long Island are you from?
By the way, deciding whether to move and find a job or vice versa really depends on your own individual situation. We know a couple that quit their jobs up here, have two kids and moved down to Holly Springs. They couldn't afford their mortage up here, sold their house, made a huge profit to buy their home in NC and had money leftover to last them at least 9 months. So it depends, and it also depends on the type of job you're looking for. Some may be more scarce than others. Well, good luck with your search!

Old 06-08-2006, 04:04 PM

31 posts, read 120,497 times
I'm from Levittown. What part of the island are you from?? I just can't afford to live here anymore. It's getting ridiculously expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina