Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 04:49 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times

Advertisements

Look, I have two teenage daughters. They went to Hopewell High School in Huntersville and since we have moved to New Bern they go to New Bern High School.

Both of these high schools are FREQUENTLY mentioned as hotbeds for gangs on this forum. Every time I ask my daughters about this, they go wild.

The reality, at least their reality, is that in both schools, what gangs there are or were, messed with each other...NEVER with either of my daughters or their friends. They both get incensed, as only 17 and 15 year old females can, any time I mention gangs or ask about them.

They are about as "white bread" as you can get. Before they went to Hopewell, I heard all kinds of stories about gangs charging "white" girls to go through certain doors, a quarter, one way. I asked my oldest about that from day one. She got to where she would torch off If I even started to ask her.

My youngest daughter's, who is in to everything, position is, and I quote, "Those people that talk about gangs in the high schools are retarded." Not proud of that quote, but these girls are just sick of hearing, from outsiders, how bad gangs are in schools and they are there every day, and have no interaction with so called gang members, at all. They feel that 99% of the "gang members" are wannabes, by the way.

Gangs are a serious problem, and one that, at least my middle school deals with immediately and severely, and by that I mean any "hint" of gang clothing or association is cause for immediate visit to principal, with not good outcome. Our resource officer, local PD officer, is tuned in and takes immediate action, so your statement about schools not sharing with police, based on my experience, is way off the mark.

Again, I am not minimizing gangs and their potential for violence, but honestly, gangs were not even on my radar when I moved back to Charlotte after a couple of years in IA, nor were they even considered when we moved to New Bern.

I am pretty liberal but I fear Ted Kennedy much more than NC Gangs. Hope you enjoy NC.

lln
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 07:13 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Look, I have two teenage daughters. They went to Hopewell High School in Huntersville and since we have moved to New Bern they go to New Bern High School.

Both of these high schools are FREQUENTLY mentioned as hotbeds for gangs on this forum. Every time I ask my daughters about this, they go wild.

The reality, at least their reality, is that in both schools, what gangs there are or were, messed with each other...NEVER with either of my daughters or their friends. They both get incensed, as only 17 and 15 year old females can, any time I mention gangs or ask about them.

They are about as "white bread" as you can get. Before they went to Hopewell, I heard all kinds of stories about gangs charging "white" girls to go through certain doors, a quarter, one way. I asked my oldest about that from day one. She got to where she would torch off If I even started to ask her.

My youngest daughter's, who is in to everything, position is, and I quote, "Those people that talk about gangs in the high schools are retarded." Not proud of that quote, but these girls are just sick of hearing, from outsiders, how bad gangs are in schools and they are there every day, and have no interaction with so called gang members, at all. They feel that 99% of the "gang members" are wannabes, by the way.

Gangs are a serious problem, and one that, at least my middle school deals with immediately and severely, and by that I mean any "hint" of gang clothing or association is cause for immediate visit to principal, with not good outcome. Our resource officer, local PD officer, is tuned in and takes immediate action, so your statement about schools not sharing with police, based on my experience, is way off the mark.

Again, I am not minimizing gangs and their potential for violence, but honestly, gangs were not even on my radar when I moved back to Charlotte after a couple of years in IA, nor were they even considered when we moved to New Bern.

I am pretty liberal but I fear Ted Kennedy much more than NC Gangs. Hope you enjoy NC.

lln

WOO HOO, I love your spirit! I'd say that's a fairly accurate picture of things as far I as personally know about too.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:24 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,452,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC07 View Post
Thank you NC Girl - I appreciate your input and hope to learn more. We have the opportunity to live anywhere in the state with about a 2 hour proximity to an aiport for my husbands business travels. Coming from the north and not loving heat to the extreme, Asheville seems like a nice place to settle. We'll have to watch things over time. Please keep me abreast of anything you hear locally that I might not catch up here. Enjoy your day.
Asheville Police Department Gang Suppression Unit

This is the complete report and includes examples of how the state and cities are dealing with gangs. The state's estimated gang membership in 2012 will be 41,363. For perspective, that's nearly 29,000 less than Asheville's 2007 estimated population.

A Comprehensive Assessment of Gangs in North Carolina: A Report to the General Assembly. March 2008
Quote:
For over a decade the Governor’s Crime Commission has provided
funding to local law enforcement and community groups to combat
problems associated with criminal gang involvement be they juvenile,
youthful offenders or adults.

The Fayetteville Police Department and Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office received two of the earliest such grants to provide for the sharing of expertise and to train other law enforcement in the recognition of gang activity in other jurisdictions. This need to share information lead to the establishment of the North Carolina Gang Investigators Association (NCGIA) which received several educational grants to provide training to law enforcement agencies that had limited resources and otherwise may not have had an ability to identify a community gang presence.

Today there is no jurisdiction in the state that has not been afforded an opportunity to benefit from GCC gang prevention and intervention funding. North Carolina GangNet is offered free to interested law enforcement agencies to provide more accurate information sharing on gangs and gang member activities.

The NCGIA continues to provide first class training to local law enforcement. The North Carolina Department of Justice criminal justice academies establish programs on gang recognition and intervention. Other state and local agencies and non- profit organizations also have received funding from the GCC to recognize, prevent, deter and/or intervene in gang activity.
As you continue to do research please keep this in mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
NC is a much larger area, with varying regions and the diffrences between urban and rural areas are much stronger here then in MA (and yes, I lived there for a short time).
NC is 48,711 square miles (Mass. is 7,840 square miles) what is true about one town/county/region may not be accurate in another part of the state.

Last edited by NCgirl; 11-17-2008 at 06:34 AM..

Old 02-23-2009, 11:49 AM

6 posts, read 24,987 times
YOU ARE BLIND! I KNOW FOR A FACT AS A MARINE AND UPSTANDING CITIZEN THAT GANGS ARE A PROBLEM HERE> THEY ARE GROWING QUICKLY AND BECOMING MORE VIOLENT! STOP BEING IGNORANT BEFORE IT HITS YOU IN THE FACE LIKE IT DID ME! I also thought I was safe. I didnt even keep mu doors locked in Trent Woods. I learned my lesson the hard way!
On gangs and crime, there is a SERIOUS problem in New Bern. It is spreading beyond the projects. I am a white, female home owner in Trent Woods. Trent Woods is known to be one of the nicest areas in the New Bern area. I was assaulted in my home by a "bloodette" (female blood) I was also threatened by her friends that they would shoot my puppy me, and my entire family and my best friend/neighbor. I had to obtain 2 weapons just to feel safe. Last night the police told me that I was in imminent danger of a DRIVE BY IN TRENT WOODS. I now have to stay at an indisclosed location until April when my husband returns from Iraq. I witnessed these individuals drug trafficking and threatened to call the police. Now I am terrified for my life. SOMETHING must be done about these gangs. We have to stop pretending that they are just "wanna be's" Those people are EVEN more dangerous because they are trying to prove they are real gangsters by causing ridiculous amounts of violence. I heard of people getting shot and killed in Craven Terrace and Trent Court. Why is this not HEADLINE news? Its murder. The state needs to increase law enforcement in Craven County. There is just not enough police to make a dent in the crime.

If u would care to see pictures of what was done to my face by a gang member please email me at [EMAIL="everett.katherine@hotmail.com"]everett.katherine@hotmail.com[/EMAIL]

Old 02-23-2009, 05:55 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everett.katherine View Post
YOU ARE BLIND! I KNOW FOR A FACT AS A MARINE AND UPSTANDING CITIZEN THAT GANGS ARE A PROBLEM HERE> THEY ARE GROWING QUICKLY AND BECOMING MORE VIOLENT! STOP BEING IGNORANT BEFORE IT HITS YOU IN THE FACE LIKE IT DID ME! I also thought I was safe. I didnt even keep mu doors locked in Trent Woods. I learned my lesson the hard way!
On gangs and crime, there is a SERIOUS problem in New Bern. It is spreading beyond the projects. I am a white, female home owner in Trent Woods. Trent Woods is known to be one of the nicest areas in the New Bern area. I was assaulted in my home by a "bloodette" (female blood) I was also threatened by her friends that they would shoot my puppy me, and my entire family and my best friend/neighbor. I had to obtain 2 weapons just to feel safe. Last night the police told me that I was in imminent danger of a DRIVE BY IN TRENT WOODS. I now have to stay at an indisclosed location until April when my husband returns from Iraq. I witnessed these individuals drug trafficking and threatened to call the police. Now I am terrified for my life. SOMETHING must be done about these gangs. We have to stop pretending that they are just "wanna be's" Those people are EVEN more dangerous because they are trying to prove they are real gangsters by causing ridiculous amounts of violence. I heard of people getting shot and killed in Craven Terrace and Trent Court. Why is this not HEADLINE news? Its murder. The state needs to increase law enforcement in Craven County. There is just not enough police to make a dent in the crime.

If u would care to see pictures of what was done to my face by a gang member please email me at everett.katherine@hotmail.com
You state you are a marine. I cannot imagine all this whining from a marine. Just lock and load, soldier. Get a grip. Literally.

Who would try to intervene in a drug transaction? Now, that was not only naive - but foolish. Just b/c you got yourself involved in a bad situation, it doesn't mean there are gangs roaming every burg in this state.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:50 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
I was wondering myself frankly....and while I figured they existed, this would be the first Marine I ever heard of that didn't already own a weapon. I also don't get confronting someone that way vs simply calling the cops...and let's not even get into leaving your doors unlocked, esp after confronting someone peddling drugs. ??? Very sorry to hear if you were attacked, but your training if nothing else should have taught you better than that. I can't imagine anyone in this day and age leaving their doors (home or car) unlocked, ever, doubly so at night.

I have seen/heard no evidence of any of this in or around Raleigh FWIW and this forum seems to be occasionally a pit paranoid about such things. Then again I rarely venture within the 440 beltline. Anyway, you can largely thank our permissive society. In days gone by when discipline wasn't considered "abuse" and crime was cracked down on more harshly, we had significantly less crime. Hmmm wonder if there's a correlation....

Old 02-24-2009, 12:25 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
New Bern has some problems but there are also really nice areas and upscale housing. Retirees love it there, too. Sure - there are some crappy areas just like in any city ("the projects" as people call them in New Bern). But dear me . . . painting it as a crime infested hell hole . . .

Plus, if any Marine stationed at Cherry Point were to somehow have his/her life threatened b/c they had reported a drug deal . . . the base would be taking care of that with the Marine - not the local police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina